Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
$17.00 side cover gasket (Read 407 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: $17.00 side cover gasket
Reply #15 - 10/24/09 at 12:43:50

Here is where your gasket got made.

http://www.gasketsondemand.com/order.php3

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/24/09 at 12:56:08

I dont think it was that big, I am kinda thinking the paper was a roll? Man, I need to go back & have a look at that thing. But some of that did ring a bell..Cripes, NOW equipment for a few hundred is out there? That would put every mechanic shop in town in  business making their own gaskets..It would if I was owning one. But for $4,000,,, Ill buy a few gaskets, till it gets more reasonable. Still, for that kind of $$$, a guy could buy a machine & sell to a few local shops, save them $$$ & make some too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/24/09 at 15:58:55

i fail to see why, with the proper paper, one couldnt just simply trace a pattern and cut it out with an exacto blade.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 10/24/09 at 17:48:55

One could do X-Actoly that, IF one had the ability to not ski roo it the heck UP.. In fact, Ive used a ball peen hammer to cut a gasket when I was working on cast iron.  Cutting the right thickness paper & not getting "Outside the lines" on some of the more intricate gaskets would be a pretty serious task. The clutch cover Gasket is no simple thing to make.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 10/25/09 at 01:33:10

Like I said, the low end of our response range could be a printable file that allowed you to layout and cut your own gasket correctly with scissors and exacto knife.  I don't really like this answer because I have seen what screwing up cutting the gasket can do to an engine -- so I was looking for something better than the exacto knife to try to stop this from happening.

I've checked out the used equipment and for several hundred dollars you can buy factory refurbished stuff that will do this (if you would take the time to master the software and write the program).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGcqc-gfiw&feature=related

but seeking somebody who does cottage work to do this for us requires set up costs (writing the program) and debugging the design.  Then once they were cut, you have to oil them with silicone oil and distribute them.

Proper gasket papers range in the .020-.030"" thick range which is butcher paper to light poster board type stuff.  Getting the right paper isn't hard.

Cheapest easily available thick silicone oil is "tire shine" from Walmart.

This is doable, but only at a price.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 10/25/09 at 02:12:31

Ive been getting pure silicone oil from copier repair places. Thats about over, tho, because the copiers that use fuser oil are about all gone. Last time I bought 4 pints for $5.00 each. OUghta last me the rest of my life. I use it on dash boards & interiors & rubber trim & CV joint boots. Darn stuff goes a long way,& once something is treated, it takes even less. I also use it before I wax a car or a bike. By oiling the rubber trim & plastic stuff first, wax wont stick to it & make it look odd.

If that tire stuff is 100% silicone oil, Im gonna have to have a look at it./

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/25/09 at 02:38:37

Im young. Younger than most here but REALLY. Precision in cutting is just a matter of going slow and pressing hard enough. If you're in a hurry no doubt, you'll slip up. But if you were to take your time I see no reason the average person cant cut out a printed stencil of the side gaskets on the savage. I've done much more precise and complicated stencils than that on the savage. Got a half hour and the right material? Hell...I got nothing to do. Supply me with the material and i'll do it for half the suzuki price...or less

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 10/25/09 at 04:03:53

11x17 65# poster weight paper comes 250 sheets to the ream at $25 per ream, costs out to 10-15 cents a page.

A bottle of silicone tire shine costs $10

A machine that can do the job costs $220 refurbished

http://www.uscutterdirect.com/Refurbished-USCutter-12quot-Refine-Vinyl-Sign-C...

Now, what would you be signing up for?  Fighting getting an older style machine hooked up correctly to a modern graphical software.  Writing a program rife with polylines to match the curved surfaces of the gasket or carrying a gasket to a Kinkos to get it scanned on their big equipment.  Tuning your program until it was right.

What would you wind up with?

Center a piece of paper, choose your file to cut, hit enter.  Pick up the trash paper waste parts, throw them away.  Put cut out gasket into a baggie along with some silicone oil, seal the baggie carefully after sucking out the air, putting it in a mailing envelope and mail it.

If you charged $5 a gasket you could make money.  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 10/25/09 at 09:09:52

& I know a very industrious young man Im gonna tell about this . Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 10/25/09 at 09:42:56

Hey, O.F., are you technically capable of solving the computer/communications issues with these things?
The guy I know is interested & can repair puters, but he doesnt grock programming at all. Can you help him get rolling?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 10/25/09 at 09:58:27

Hell no, if I wanted to do it I would have.  To make it pay he'll have to get up with other motorcycle groups and program other different bikes.

Too much like work.  Like a job, so to speak.

Plus when I post the .jpeg file for the gasket in a day or so it'll derail all our real cheapskate members

(who all own exacto knives).

Sunk cost of $300/$5 per gasket = 60 gaskets to break even

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #26 - 10/26/09 at 09:07:12

Tractor Supply sells two types of gasket material in a roll.  One is charcoal black, maybe kinda like felt; the other is gray, maybe a little more like cardboard.  There is no reason, as BurnPugh said, that a person with the right gasket as a pattern couldn't trace and snip.  I don't know how much the gasket material costs, maybe $5 a roll and it's maybe 12" wide and 8' long. (I just looked online and didn't find it, but I've seen it in the store.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/26/09 at 09:51:39

You can buy the stuff at any auto parts store too.   Stock gasket is .020" thick, so watch the thickness of what you buy as if you go too thick you'll have reflection in your clutch lever / rod travel range.

I am awaiting a return email from FileDen.com where I opened a free account to host the .jpeg files I scanned in this morning.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #28 - 10/26/09 at 11:31:27

OF:

Cool Beans on the Jpeg....
Email it to me and I'll Put it on BikePics and My space for All To Have.

I have a 13 and a 18 yo thay are budding artists .... Hay kids Dads got a project for ya..... I was fixin to order my side gaskets for my Cam chain and tinsioner mod for my winter project.

Since it is getting cold and the Vegtable garden and Lawn don't me to drink beer with them till the spring. Got have an excuse to sit in the garage and drink beer. Can probly get a couple of saturdays out of it Cool

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 10/26/09 at 12:43:11

Milk it Baby,, Milk IT!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $17.00 side cover gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.