Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
oil (Read 324 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
oil
10/23/09 at 04:37:45

Hi all, I have been running my two Ls's on 15-40 oil no problem except that I change the oil every three to four hundred miles and it's costing me a bomb. I have the chance of buying a five gallon drum of 20-50 oil at half price, would the 20-50 be ok in the  Ls???  ,,,cheers,,kenny

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: oil
Reply #1 - 10/23/09 at 05:08:12

What brand of oil ???
Just kidding !!! Don't even mention the brand !

Except in really cold weather, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, just do it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #2 - 10/23/09 at 06:34:15

KennyCreed, Why are you changing your oil so often? If everybody adopted your method, our environment could be negatively affected. I once read a report that included that more frequent oil changes than necessary was harmful to an engine. I am not sure why or that I agree either. However, in my opinion you are waisting your money and time changing oil so often unless you use an inferrior oil and dont trust it for longer periods. I don't understand. Modern oil will hold it's viscosity for about 800 miles. You could go at least that far, don't you think? ....Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/23/09 at 07:10:42

Ah, the first rational question that starts the chain of questions that starts the neverending infamous oil war ...

Remember, he's from Scotland and does not have the necessarily the same name brand names that we have in America and also kindly remember that his oil is spec'd to DIN or some other standard, not necessarily SAE or JASO.

In short, as far as oil goes it is a different language.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #4 - 10/23/09 at 07:13:48

Grin Aint that the truth.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #5 - 10/23/09 at 07:17:05

I use the cheapest oil I can find and change it before it starts going black, the reason is just my way of thinking because I am away at sea for three weeks at a time and the bikes are sitting idle for that time, building condensation and other kind of crud inside the engine, and when I come home they get a good thrashing, so I know the oil is ok, also  when I have enough used oil saved up I spray it underneath my van and car to keep the rust away which living beside the sea is an on going battle,,cheers,,kenny

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #6 - 10/23/09 at 07:21:08

I use 50 w its fine bud.   Wink

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/23/09 at 07:26:35

The only issue you may have with 20w50 is somewhat sluggish circulation on very cold mornings.  Just go gently for the first little bit until your engine warms up a bit and your half price 20w50 should do OK even on a cold morning.  At your "change it when it gets black" rate you shouldn't have issues with additives wearing out, etc.

Suzuki stops recommending 20w50 oil around -10 degrees F, so you should be good for most temperatures for most days you'd be riding anyway.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #8 - 10/23/09 at 07:29:29

X2 on the warm up, I noticed on on clod mornings I get some cluth slippage if I peel back on the vrooom handle, just take it easy til it warms.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/23/09 at 07:50:57

You could get some cans of rubberized undercoating & seal the underside. OIling the underside of the car seems a bit counterproductive. That oil is going somewhere..like, maybe a street? Where is it going from there? aNYONE ELSE DO THIS? If lots of people spray undersides of cars, then dont the streets get oiled up? Thats just not sound ecology. Your oil lasts longer than that, the $$$ youll spend over the life of the bike, making sure the engine doesnt have a problem, would have paid for an engine, not to mention the time you spent.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/23/09 at 08:01:58

You know, most folks who had clutch slippage issues a couple of years back did seem to use 20w50 oil (various brands).  I wonder if the constant slippage when first starting up cold did something to their plates that caused the slipping to gradually increase over time?

Just a thought -- irrelevant anyway.   We know a lot more about clutches than we did back then and I bet we can fix most "slipping clutches" without taking them apart with an oil change and a rod change, even if lightly contaminated with energy star crap from an inappropriate oil.

Wow, just think of all the springs and plates that got put into bikes back then unnecessarily --- heck, I even bought a set of plates back then expecting the "slippy monster" to come sneak up on me unexpectedly.  

Well, OK -- eventually I will use them.  But I really do want all the old plates taken out of all the Savages out there as they are really only "just broken in good" when you thought they are worn out.  

Change your rods, boys and girls, change your rods.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/23/09 at 08:13:07

OF, Im not tracking there. I cant picture how the rod would keep the clutch from working/ fully engaging. I mean, seems to me that as long as I have slack in the lever, theres no "Throwout" action going on & the full pressure of the springs is being felt by the plates. Im trapped in my thinking that the rods are there to adjust where in the arc it travels the "paddle" on the arm starts picking up pressure from that rod. I know youve been in & out of these more than I, tho, so can you splain it (REaders Digest level of complexity if possible) so I can get it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #12 - 10/23/09 at 13:53:04

I'm in England and I use 10-40. In Scotland at this time of year I would use a 5-40 oil. From what other people say a 20-50 is OK for a hotter climate

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/23/09 at 14:23:51

Routy wrote on 10/23/09 at 05:08:12:
What brand of oil ???
Just kidding !!! Don't even mention the brand !

Except in really cold weather, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, just do it.

PLEASE! NOT AGAIN!!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 10/24/09 at 03:27:46

Don't worry Gort, this is an English / Scottish thread and we don't even know the brand names should they mention any and for sure we don't know what the "legal" formulations are in that area should they mention any familiar brand names.  

I think they are safe from the dreaded oil war.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:25:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.