Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: oil
Reply #15 - 10/24/09 at 03:32:08

Justin, you got the clutch rod's function just fine.  

Point is that in the old days people didn't change the rods, they considered the clutch pack "worn out" and replaced all the friction plates completely unnecessarily every time they ran out of pivot travel.  

A $3 rod is a lot cheaper than a $40 clutch pack.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/24/09 at 08:49:07

They considered the clutch pack "worn out" and replaced all the friction plates completely unnecessarily every time they ran out of pivot travel.

I did not know that. I know that as the clutch on a car wears, the toe play in the pedal goes away, so the clutch has to be adjusted looser.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #17 - 10/24/09 at 10:44:38

we have api sae and jaso specs here as well in England. some brands have different names here though

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 10/25/09 at 04:46:04

Sure you do .... remember all the endless bitching about that the "worn out" clutch plates people took out of the bike all measured well within the Clymer/Suzuki service specs?

Duh, they were still useable plates -- nobody had tripped over the clutch rod length thing or the fact that Suzuki sold clutch rods in 1mm longer increments for this very reason.

Our bikes have a limited adjustment range on the clutch adjustment and on the rear brake adjustment that require you to DO SOMETHING so as to be able use up the rest of the friction material.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 10/25/09 at 05:42:14

I've been following this, wondering what was the difference.....and knowing that there must be a difference in length tween the old and new rods. Thanks for clarifying that.
But why do I have to assume it is a pushrod, and if so, wouldn't we be looking for a shorter rod as the plates wear rather than longer ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 10/25/09 at 07:00:52

As the plates wear the whole stack gets shorter.  As the stack gets shorter the bearing plate on top of the stack (and the rod) moves away from the static cover.  As the distance increases the rod must get longer.

But I would be perfectly content to have it ass-backwards if that is the case.  But I don't think so, which is why I keep an engine on my desk next to my computer so I can go look at confusing stuff like this before typing -- saves me from embarrassing myself any more than is necessary.  But I do reserve the right to be occasionally wrong (because on this one I might be).

Also, your rod wears a bit on the end that sticks out as it rubs against the powdered metal pusher while the engine is turning and the clutch is held in.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 10/25/09 at 09:01:16

Thanks OF.
I'm still not quite clear on it, in that if the "push" rod must be longer, than we are talking about too much free play rather than not enough, and which would cause the clutch to not fully disengage.
Sorry,....just trying to learn more about the various parts on these bike,.....for when/if the "time comes"  Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/25/09 at 09:05:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/25/09 at 04:46:04:
Sure you do .... remember all the endless bitching about that the "worn out" clutch plates people took out of the bike all measured well within the Clymer/Suzuki service specs?

Duh, they were still useable plates -- nobody had tripped over the clutch rod length thing or the fact that Suzuki sold clutch rods in 1mm longer increments for this very reason.

Our bikes have a limited adjustment range on the clutch adjustment and on the rear brake adjustment that require you to DO SOMETHING so as to be able use up the rest of the friction material.

Id have to have one opened up & hold the parts in my hand to get it. Well, to have a CHance at getting it. It took me quite a while to understand, not accept but realize exactly WHY the car clutch did what it does, as I adjusted them out( car, truck, ehh,, big pressure plate & a throw out, sameeey Sameeey)

AHAAA! Eureeka, I think it just flashed "Up there"..So, as the plates get thinner, the Stop for the rod moves to the center of the bike?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/25/09 at 11:15:35

I have noticed that the length of my clutch cable has nearly exhausted the adjustment length of both the lower and handlebar adjustments.
Since I have recently had this engine apart, and inspected the clutch plates for wear, only 1,500 miles back, I know that the problem is merely that the cable is a bit too long.
I shall simply go to my lathe and make a spacer that will fit between the cable jacket end and the lower adjuster to take up enough slack to bring the adjusters to a more normal position.
Photo after I have made it.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 10/25/09 at 11:39:59

Phelonious, where does your side case mounted lever sit in the total span of actuation as marked on the main case by the two marks?

Folks have theorized that the clutch lever can break the little powdered metal eccentric portion when it starts binding against the case or jacking at the end of the rod at an extreme angle.

You are likely dealing with the same rod situation we are talking about -- but you can discover that on your own by your own methods.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #25 - 10/25/09 at 17:20:43

NOt trying to start up another Oil Debate but I just want to know if anyone has used Castrol 4t 20 w50 motorcycle oil? Reason I ask is I just changed mine to that from Rotela b/c I got a good deal on 2 quarts and I was just wondering if there was anyone that had bad luck with it. I'm taking a 400 mile trip in a few weeks and dont want a burn engine b/c of crappy oil.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 10/25/09 at 19:13:05

There is no crappy oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/25/09 at 19:29:55

There are no crappy motorcycle oils.  Some car oils with energy stars on the bottle might get called that with some good justification, but no motorcycle rated oil is going to hurt your engine for a couple of crankcase loads.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #28 - 10/25/09 at 19:35:34

Good deal! I'll roll with it and see how well it does.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.