Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S40 Engine Counter-balancer Information Needed (Read 270 times)
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 Engine Counter-balancer Information Needed
10/22/09 at 12:43:17

Greetings:  Can anybody tell  me if suzuki has changed the counter-balancer (S40)  in the engine in the last couple of years.  I've read somewhere that they might have refined it a little in the 2009 model?   TRUE/FICTION??
thanks
Kevin

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: S40 Engine Counter-balancer Information Needed
Reply #1 - 10/22/09 at 13:11:17

I know the counter balance on my '07 was improved but I think the changes were made in '05. Don't know about '09.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/22/09 at 15:11:25

Thanks Mr Hyde:  Grin  The reason I ask- is that I have heard that the vibrations from the single at highway speed on the S40 is pretty bad.  But, if they have since made improvements on the counter-balancer from 2007 and up, this might not be true anymore.

Any comments on highway speed vibrations on later S40s' that would be great. Smiley
Thanks
Kevin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/22/09 at 15:19:05

I have an 05. If I had a windshield I might be more aware of vibration at speed, but as is Im so busy hanging on Im not all that aware of it being "oppressive" or too intrusive. Its not an inline 4 cylinder Honda, fershure, but its not what I call Bad. Now, if I hold the throttle too tight, the hand will go all tingly. I like the way it makes my feet feel on the pegs. Maybe thats why the tank is small, so people have a reason to take a break pretty often? Maybe thats why the seat sux, to keep people focused on something else?
Its been in production a long time. If it was too bad, well, you know..
OHH, & you can fill the handlebars with lead shot, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/22/09 at 15:29:08

Mine modified itself. The whole counterbalancer shaft left the engine at 60MPH, along with 2 quarts of oil.  Then I ran over it with the rear wheel.
Some days are more fun than others.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/22/09 at 18:08:38

I heard people with more than one cylinder lie.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 10/22/09 at 18:42:34

I don't know about the other riders on this site, but I tend to listen to my bikes and ride where they are happiest.  At 60, my 03 is happiest in 4th gear.  It may not be the best for gas mileage, but the engine is running smoothly and feels like it has a lot to give.  In 5th, that sweet spot is at 70, but I notice that my oil consumption goes up above 65, so I don't tend to ride there unless I am in a hurry to get somewhere, which is almost never any more. I do not notice any appreciable vibration, in the saddle, the foot pegs, or the handlebars, when the bike is running in the sweet spot.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 10/22/09 at 19:32:37

Guys, it's so easy to check if there was a change.  Go to one of the On-Line parts microfische places like Bike Bandit, or Ronayers.com and look up the different years.

It was replaced in 1996 (long ago).

BALANCER, CRANK
12651-24B00  (replaced by 12651-24B01)  

BALANCER, CRANK

BALANCER, CRANK

BALANCER, CRANK
12651-24B01

BALANCER, CRANK
12651-24B01

BALANCER, CRANK
12651-24B01

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #8 - 10/23/09 at 07:53:04

Phelonius wrote on 10/22/09 at 15:29:08:
Mine modified itself. The whole counterbalancer shaft left the engine at 60MPH, along with 2 quarts of oil.  Then I ran over it with the rear wheel.
Some days are more fun than others.

Phelonius

AHAHAHA   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/23/09 at 08:15:10

I had included in my post, at the end

"If you arent happy with how its balanced, someone here will surely help you modify it" but ,,,seemed wrong somehow, but since Phelonius brought it up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/23/09 at 09:55:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/23/09 at 08:15:10:
I had included in my post, at the end

"If you arent happy with how its balanced, someone here will surely help you modify it" but ,,,seemed wrong somehow, but since Phelonius brought it up..

I not only brought it up, I brought it out. And, I did it much faster than any of you have.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 10/23/09 at 09:58:50

gerald.hughes wrote on 10/22/09 at 18:42:34:
I don't know about the other riders on this site, but I tend to listen to my bikes and ride where they are happiest.  At 60, my 03 is happiest in 4th gear.  It may not be the best for gas mileage, but the engine is running smoothly and feels like it has a lot to give.  In 5th, that sweet spot is at 70, but I notice that my oil consumption goes up above 65, so I don't tend to ride there unless I am in a hurry to get somewhere, which is almost never any more. I do not notice any appreciable vibration, in the saddle, the foot pegs, or the handlebars, when the bike is running in the sweet spot.

Hmmmmm.... I always thought that going down the higway at 60 in fifth seems like th engine could use a 6th gear.    Doing it in fouth for any lenght of time ....  Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/23/09 at 11:33:04

I not only brought it up, I brought it out. And, I did it much faster than any of you have.

First real LOL Ive had in a while. Glad you can laff about it now & real glad it didnt cause you to lose control & get hurt.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #13 - 10/24/09 at 06:33:06

Kevininsc,
The vibrations that you feel with the S40 are different from high reving engines. At least that is the case with my '06 S40. Some engines produce a high frequency vibration while the S40 seems to produce a lower frequency vibration. I have had other bikes put parts of my anatomy to sleep, but not the S40. You will feel the single cylinder fireing pulses, but they are mild and even pleasant. There are some higher pitch vibs, but I have not found them objectional.

As to the S40 making body parts tingle, those bikes must have muffler mods or are driven at extra high speeds.

When I bought this S40, I aked the seller about vibration. He compared it to a riding lawn mower. However, I don't think lawn mower when riding my S40 Boulevard.

I believe, if you get a good S40 without much engine wear and is running right, you will be very pleased with the amount and type vibration it produces. It is a motorcycle and feels like one, It has a fairly large displacement of 652ccs, so some pulsing and vibration is to be expected.

These are only my observations on the bike in question. I suggest you find someone with an S40 and give it a ride since you are not sure about the vibrations. Good luck......Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 10/26/09 at 02:41:22

A big single is supposed to feel like a bed with a good vibrator built in.   Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:14:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Engine Counter-balancer Information Needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.