Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike only runs well with Choke out (Read 254 times)
4forths
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Grand Rapids, MI
Bike only runs well with Choke out
10/22/09 at 05:44:11

My 95 Savage (with Dyna muffler) runs perfectly with the Choke out, but as soon as I put the Choke in, it coughs and sputters, and backfires.  It feels like you are running out of gas, even though the tank is full.  Any ideas on where to start?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Bike only runs well with Choke out
Reply #1 - 10/22/09 at 05:48:16

I would run some SeaFoam in the gas tank and see what happens.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 10/22/09 at 06:02:33

If it idles ok w/o choke, I would go for a partially plugged main jet.
I have not done it, but if I remember correctly, the main jet is easily removed w/o removing tank or carb.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #3 - 10/22/09 at 06:22:44

Did you upgrade the jets yet? If not, then that would be my next move.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/22/09 at 11:36:15

clean carb if seafoam in tank doesn't work

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/22/09 at 11:37:33

Did the problem start when the Dyna was installed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 12/16/09 at 19:35:22

4forths wrote on 10/22/09 at 05:44:11:
My 95 Savage (with Dyna muffler) runs perfectly with the Choke out, but as soon as I put the Choke in, it coughs and sputters, and backfires.  It feels like you are running out of gas, even though the tank is full.  Any ideas on where to start?  

Probably late, but I'm guessin' pilot jet is dirty.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/17/09 at 14:17:06

I having the same issue, heres my list of things I checked, the petcock, the main jet upgraded it to a 155, pilot jet is stock, ran seafoam through tank, cleaned carb with carb cleaner, now here is where Im at it runs fine with the choke out of half out, and doesnt backfire, spit, sputter, all is well, soon as I push the choke in it sputters like its about to die then adjust the idle, idles fine and soo as I take off and get ready to shift koopow, any ideas guys,I have another thread under carb issues non of the motorcycle shops are open due to christmas there booked up unitl after the new year, I live in gainesville if you know a mechanic let me know please...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/17/09 at 18:25:05

Try closing the throttle slowly coming down from higher RPM'

If you havent messed with the white washer, maybe its time. But, before anything else, Id suggest getting the air mix screw set. Do it twice, or 3 times. Count in to stop, open back out & go 1/4 turn past. Ride it. See if you can operate the throttle in a way that keeps it from B/firing.  Mess w/ that mixture screw ( 1/4 turn) & listen to the engine, ride.

You can also open it till it starts to sound "wrong" & close it till it starts sounding "sick" again & go in the middle of that & see how it acts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Micvicpel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/18/09 at 17:24:51

Thanks I finally got my carb apart with some vicegrips and lote of wd40. Ill post after I put it back together. White washer gone little washers in palce half of the white washer and tomorrow new screws with hex heads. then to notch my air fuel scew so i can adjust dremel should do.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #10 - 12/19/09 at 06:03:53

Digger wrote on 12/16/09 at 19:35:22:

Digger is right.  If it is only at the idle point or just off throttle it is the pilot circuit (this is provided you don't just have your idle set too low).  Usually the pilot jet gets plugged.  It has the smallest hole of all the jets in your carb.  One way to confirm is if you can get going on choke and once up to 1/2 throttle it runs fine with the choke in then it is just the pilot circuit that is bad.  Now if you find the pilot jet perfectly clean then there is a little known passage that feeds from the pilot to the throat of the carburator just down stream of the butter fly valve (or slide depending on CV or VM carb).  It allows the gas into the airstream when the throttle is closed.  This one requires squirting carb spray into the pilot jet opening (or manytimes you can find the air passageway at the front of the carb throat and squirt in there) and you should see a little tiny squirt of spray come out of the tiny hole I described above in the carb throat.  The hole is on the botton of the throat.

Generally the it is just the pilot jet that causes your issue but I have cleaned carbs where that passage gets gummed up to.

WWW   IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #11 - 12/19/09 at 14:49:31

How about one where it won't run with the choke out but runs well otherwise?

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/20/09 at 00:04:05

Tony - It starts well with no choke? Runs well normally? Count yourself lucky. You're pretty much as perfectly tuned as you're going to get unless you're rich at speed. You might be a bit rich in general but if you start well and run well I wouldnt mess too much with a good thing.
If you're curious get a new plug (or 3) and test each circuit. Idle a while, pull the plug. Good? If not are you lean or rich? Readjust if needed. If you had to readjust try it again. If you're good go ride around at more or less half throttle for 10-15 minutes, pull the plug. Good? If not are you lean or rich? Readjust if needed. If you had to readjust try it again. Go WOT up hill and hit the kill switch while you simultaneously pull in the clutch, pull the plug. Good? If not are you lean or rich? Readjust if needed. If you readjusted try it again. Over and over again until you get it all right.

If a WOT plug chop seems too much for you go WOT for a 10-15 seconds (assuming the idle and mid range is correct). Now let back on the throttle. If you get a boost when you let off the throttle your main jet is lean, go one size up and try it again.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 01/03/10 at 21:17:06

smokin_blue wrote on 12/19/09 at 06:03:53:
Digger wrote on 12/16/09 at 19:35:22:

.....Now if you find the pilot jet perfectly clean then there is a little known passage that feeds from the pilot to the throat of the carburator just down stream of the butter fly valve (or slide depending on CV or VM carb).  It allows the gas into the airstream when the throttle is closed.  This one requires squirting carb spray into the pilot jet opening (or manytimes you can find the air passageway at the front of the carb throat and squirt in there) and you should see a little tiny squirt of spray come out of the tiny hole I described above in the carb throat.  The hole is on the botton of the throat.

Generally the it is just the pilot jet that causes your issue but I have cleaned carbs where that passage gets gummed up to.

Good point.

If you suspect the passage that Smokin' was talking about is clogged and you can't get any of the carb cleaner spray to go all the way through it, I might try removing the pilot jet, then gently running a 0.011" guitar string through the passage.  Since the guitar string is steel, it might scratch the jet, which is made of brass.  That is why I'd remove it first.

I stole the guitar string idea from Serowbot.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:22:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike only runs well with Choke out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.