Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are Wheel Bearings Forever, Or Ever Need Service? (Read 152 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Are Wheel Bearings Forever, Or Ever Need Service?
10/22/09 at 05:16:12

When my belt first started screeching, and me being new to this bike, I started wondering if a wheel bearing could be bad, being as the noise was at wheel speed. So I was glad to find out here that the belt can really scream w/o really getting hurt, and maybe w/o having a good reason,......debatable for sure.

But that got me to thinking this question,....are the wheel bearings sealed, or are they servicable ? And if they are sealed, are they ever a problem ? Just curious.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Are Wheel Bearings Forever, Or Ever Need Servi
Reply #1 - 10/22/09 at 05:25:03

They are sealed, but still one was catching a bit on my bike. Just make sure everythime you take the wheel off, check for radial and axial play (there should be none), and slowly spin the inner race with your finger. It should spin smooooth and silent. Any catching  - ditch them.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 10/22/09 at 06:54:10

He's right about how to check for wheel bearings. I have had one set go @5K miles cos that bike just sat and collected water.

Original wheel bearings are sealed on one side only. The outside. They are almost sealed from the elements, except you need to grease the axle with water proof grease before fitting it to really keep the elements out of the bearings.

The bearings you buy to replace usually will be sealed on both sides. If you need some send a 20 my way. I'll send you a set of good ones with nice rubber seals on both sides.

The belt can squeak ... however in 6 savages I have never had it happen. My friends 96 vulcan 500 does make the strangest noises and it seems to be working OK.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/22/09 at 08:56:18

When a bearing goes out, I haul it to the local bearing supply house. My lawnmower shucked a couple that I was sure would run me a fair penny if I went thru the mower manufacturer to get, but I dropped less than $10.00 on the pair. Just hit the yellow pages. They'll match it up. Bearings are like everything else. Some wheel bearings on a car last the life of the car. Some crap out. The only thing thats forever is the love of a dog.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/22/09 at 13:04:25

Same here. Measured inside, outside and depth, single row ball bearing, double sided seal. Went to SKF seller - about $15. Here:

Rear (mm) 17x47x14 (inside x outside x depth) item: SKF6303 2RS

Front (mm) 15x42x13 item: SKF6302 2RS

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 10/22/09 at 18:05:26

When I bought my used '95 (3rd owner) I think I replaces the tires at 9000 miles, the guy in the shop said my bearings were due for replacing. So I did. Tightened the handling right up. New tires also helped. The front end definitely tracked better, and felt less squirrely.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 10/22/09 at 18:07:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/22/09 at 08:56:18:
Some crap out. The only thing thats forever is the love of a dog.

Yeah, but they still crap.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/22/09 at 20:35:49

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 10/22/09 at 18:07:27:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/22/09 at 08:56:18:
Some crap out. The only thing thats forever is the love of a dog.

Yeah, but they still crap.  Cheesy

Aint that the truth?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 21:21:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are Wheel Bearings Forever, Or Ever Need Service?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.