Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Cover (Read 139 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Clutch Cover
10/21/09 at 19:41:50

Ok, I have searched and couldn't find anything helpful about my problem. I have a rocurring problem. I get an oil leak at higher speeds/rpms between the cylinder and the oil filler plugthrough the clutch cover gasket. I have replace the gasket three times now and it comes back. Maybe I am tightening the bolts wrong. I torque them down to about 13 nm in a criss-cross pattern. Is this too much or too little?

IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Re: Clutch Cover
Reply #1 - 10/21/09 at 19:47:32

What are you using for a seal ?

Also  one of those bolts up there is suppose to be a bolt with a gasket.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 10/21/09 at 20:03:29

I use a new gasket as is, it has additional sealant from the factory applied in that area. The gaskets for the bolts go in between the bolt head and the cover, but that is not where it leaks. It leaks between the clutch cover and the crank case. It almost seems like crank case pressure is too high, but I checked the breather hose and it is not clogged. It's weird that it needs the higher range rpms to do that. I still don't know what the correct torque for the bolts is. Not even my original Suzuki shop manual says anything. It just says to replace clutch cover. How stupid! This needs to be a bit more detailed, other areas they show torque values where it really doesn't matter. Angry

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/21/09 at 20:17:27

at the end of chp 4 in clymers it list the torques
crankcase bolts (6mm) 9-13 Nm or 6.5-9.5 ft.lbs.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 10/21/09 at 20:25:17

verslagen1 wrote on 10/21/09 at 20:17:27:
at the end of chp 4 in clymers it list the torques
crankcase bolts (6mm) 9-13 Nm or 6.5-9.5 ft.lbs.

Does crank case bolts include the clutch cover to crank case bolts? I know they are 6mm also, but it has a gasket in between, the crank case halves have sealant only as far as I know. Or does it not matter? This leaking problem really drives me nuts! Every time I replace the gasket, after about 500 miles it starts leaking again n the same spot under heavy load. The mating surfaces are not damaged and the cover or crank case is not cracked or anything either. Sometimes there's a little coming out of the oil filler plug too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/21/09 at 20:35:46

No these are the cover bolts, case bolts are much bigger.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 10/21/09 at 20:48:30

Ok then I did it right then. I just don't understand the problem.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 12/14/09 at 21:55:44

ralfyguy wrote on 10/21/09 at 19:41:50:
....Maybe I am tightening the bolts wrong. I torque them down to about 13 nm in a criss-cross pattern. Is this too much or too little?

Dunno if this will help you out, but.....

The last time I did this job (see my signature for bike info), I sprayed the new gasket with silicone spray before I installed it.  I guess the main reason I did this was to try to stack the odds in my favor of making the gasket easy to remove (with no scraping needed) the next time I take the clutch cover off.  The next time I do this job, I will probably try this stuff out as a gasket dressing:

Permatex® Hylomar® Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant

Note that I have no experience with this stuff, but my research made it sound very promising.

Now, my FSM does not list specific bolt torques for this application.  So, I referred to the general torque chart and found that it called for 3-5 ft-lbs for "conventional" (vice hardened, I presume) 6mm bolts.  This equates to about 4-7 nm.

I tightened the bolts in three stages in a criss-cross manner.  An easy way to do this is to tighten a bolt, then count 7 bolts clockwise, tighten that one, count 7 more, tighten, etc., until you are back to where you started.

No leaks on mine (KOW!).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 12/14/09 at 22:22:22

Why do your gaskets leak?

Part of the answer to your puzzle is the high pressure oil passage at the top of that cover.  The top gasket width at the top of that high pressure area is only 3/16 wide and the .020" thick gasket has to stop the migration of oil that is 1) hot !! and 2) running under 20-30 psi of pressure at full engine rpms.  

Hot oil can make it through untreated paper if not supported by an impregnation agent.

To do this the gasket must be impermeable to oil (completely impregnated with either rubber, vinyl plastic or silicone gasket maker) that has been allowed to set up completely before the gasket is installed on clean aluminum flanges, then the bolt up clamping pressure is applied.  

This way the fibers of the gasket material are reinforced and supported internally before the hot oil pressure is applied.  All the micro pathways internal to the paper are blocked before the hot oil pressure is applied.

A stock Suzuki gasket is rubber impregnated with a vinyl stripe going around this critical area (protruding vinyl that gets crushed into the gasket joint when the installation clamping torque is applied, so it makes it a "one shot helper" on the bare gasket installation).

===========

Since you have unusual re-occuring problems, try checking your cover for any warping or lack of flatness by putting the cover machined side down on a flat surface after removing the hollow steel locator bushings.  Check for any rocking or gaps.

===========

Other information is available in Tech Section here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256595298

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:46:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cover