Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How much oil should an S40 use? (Read 294 times)
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
How much oil should an S40 use?
10/21/09 at 19:02:46

I have an '06 S40 with just over 4000 miles. With only 370 miles on a fresh oil and filter change (Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w-50), it appears to have used about 6 oz or more oil. That rate equals about 1984 miles to the quart. It does not smoke. I am hoping I did not fill it to the proper level at the oil change and am going to watch it closely this time. My Virago 250 does not use oil as most other bikes have not.

I followed the manual on adding this 6 oz. It is a strange way, but it is like the instructions for my Virago 250. Fill to the upper marks, then idle engine for a few minutes. Turn engine off, wait 3 minutes and look into the oil check window. If it is below the upper line add oil til it reaches the upper line. That all sounds fine, but when the engine oil completely settles, the oil level is almost at the top of the window. So, if you check it cold, the window will be nearly full. Is this correct? Seems that you should fill it so that when all settled or cold the oil level would be at the upper marks. Any help would be appreciated...Dan

« Last Edit: 10/23/09 at 07:47:26 by Ebikerman »  

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: How much oil should an S40 use?
Reply #1 - 10/21/09 at 20:20:02

My '07 has 4400 miles, and it might use that much oil, and if so, I'm happy. IMO that is not much oil.

As for checking the oil, I do it my way, which is, check w/ bike on side stand, and I want to see just a little oil in the site glass. When the bike is upright, it is a little bit over full. And I check and fill cold.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/21/09 at 23:38:11

My routine - Get an little extending mirror. Hop on the bike before starting it up. Tilt bike level and check the oil level with the mirror. Try to check the oil in the SAME spot every time. A little lean left or right or an incline forward or back will throw the reading off fairly considerably. Not big deal if you're full or near full. But if you're half full and you're checking somewhere you usually dont you may be at the lower level line...or you maybe very near the full line. I personally think the oil viewing window is the dumbest idea ever on any bike. The case couldve been a half inch wider on one 1"sq area to accomodate a dipstick. Doing that would even make one less prone to spilling the first few ounces of oil from a fresh quart all over the case when filling.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 10/22/09 at 05:18:34

The first 2500 miles it used some,Since them it doesn't use any.That with Klotz synthetic,I'm not a hard driver threw the gears,mainly hit it a lot in high gear.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 10/22/09 at 06:12:28

I'd heard it often said by mechanics in the trade, that if a new engine burns a little oil, the rings etc will last forever,.....I took that to mean if an engine burns no oil at all, it will wear out..... Shocked But I have not really known either to really be true. But I do know that burning a little oil in anything never caused me a problem ever.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #5 - 10/22/09 at 08:41:18

Great response and helpful answers. You guys are great...Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 10/22/09 at 08:53:07

Years ago cars use to oil,In the last 30 years my cars have used about a cup in 7000 miles.In 1964 I bought a 1964 chevy 409 it used a quart every 1200 from the day I bought it till I sold it,It was automatic,My buddy bought the same thing with stick It burn a quart in every 800 miles,After 6000 miles and a lot of complaining,They put new rings in his,It then got a 1000 to the quart.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 10/22/09 at 11:59:00

Boy does that bring back memories,....I was a GM mech/tech in the good ole days of the oil burnin 409s, and all the loose piston short blocks in the first 327s, and all the oil leakin Corvairs......and valve jobs at 35k miles. Chevrolet really had their share of problems in those days.
Darn ! Off topic again ! Embarrassed

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/22/09 at 16:42:40

Routy in the good old days if I remember right they were called grease  monkeys not auto techs.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 10/23/09 at 05:23:15

Seriously ?
In 1959, at 18yrs old, I was one,....lube rack only. But as I remember the all out mechs in our GM dealership were called "journeyman", but in those days, grease monkeys could very well have been a proper name  Wink

Rich
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #10 - 10/23/09 at 06:10:26

Well guys, back to the topic of this thread. One person reported that their S40 did not use any oil another said theirs was about like mine. I suppose all of these are in good mechanical condition. What makes the difference do you suppose? Also, I would like some more ideas on checking the oil level in that little window. Both the Virago 250 and the S40 have nearly the same instructions for checking oil. Something like idle engine for a few minutes, shut off, wait 3 minutes, check for oil being at upper line level. If not, fill to that level. My observation is that when all the oil settles back into the crankcase (more than 3 minutes) you have oil at nearly the top of the glass. Why not let the settled oil level be at the upper line. Would that not be enough?  Maybe next time I change oil I will put the prescribed amount in and see where that puts the oil level. By the way, I drained the air box tube and got about an once, not near the amount my oil level went down in 370 miles (approx 6 oz).I am useing Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w-50 oil....Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: 10/23/09 at 07:49:56 by Ebikerman »  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 10/23/09 at 06:42:57

The difference can be in the tollerances that were held when boring the cylinder. Even one thousanth larger bore could use slightly more oil because it opens up the gap on the oil rings.

Even the different finish (honing) on the cylinder walls can also make a difference in oil consumption. There are several honing patterns that are used after boring a cylinder.

Its not as big a deal as you make it,.....anywhere between the hi and lo lines on the sight glass is ok. It don't matter how you check it. More important mite be doing it the same way all the time. Starting an engine before checking the oil is just plain rediculous IMO. My way is easiest,.....fill it till you see a little bit in the site glass while the bike is on the side stand. But if you don't like it being a little too full, then do it any of the harder ways. :'(

Rich
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #12 - 10/23/09 at 06:48:16

Routy, I just don't want to give out of oil unexpectedly. I realize a quart in 2000 miles is not too bad, but I don't think we have a quart to play with between the lines. I don't want to run low while riding. I appreciate your insight. Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: 10/23/09 at 07:50:32 by Ebikerman »  

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 10/23/09 at 07:50:44

If you are really that worried about running out of oil when out on a ride, remember that you have to stop every hundred miles or so to refuel. After fuelling, tip the bike upright and glance at the little window. The time taken for fuelling will be plenty of "drain-down" time. You can acquire a plastic container, say a pint, with a squirt top, and carry that much of your favorite oil with you. The squirt top will allow you to add oil while avoiding the hot exhaust pipe. You might experiment with an appropriate bottle while at home, with a cool engine and pipe, to make sure your choice will work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/23/09 at 08:41:03

I carry a 3 oz bottle, with a squirt tip & an uncut tip off a tube of gasket making RTV screws down on it so well it doesnt leak. I put a slot in a small board, about 5/8ths & 3/8ths ish, to use to open the fill plug. My fingers just arent able to open it after the same fingers closed it & NO I dont go cranking on it.
You can start off slightly over full & carry a little, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:29:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much oil should an S40 use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.