Send Topic Print
Carb Mix Screw (Read 334 times)
FishHunt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Mix Screw
10/20/09 at 01:55:27

What is the factory setting on the carb mix screw? The screw that is covered from the factory by a brass plug. How easy/hard should this screw be to turn?

<><Fish

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Carb Mix Screw
Reply #1 - 10/20/09 at 02:23:31

Too lean.  If you want factory settings, don't remove the brass plug.

=============

Remove the brass plug and you let the genie out of the bottle.  Then you have to fiddle with it all the time, because you can.  And it makes a difference when you do, things get better.  And then worse. And then better.

Then you start keeping mileage logs and fiddle by quarter turns and keeping characteristic logs for each setting.

Then you realize that it changes by season too.   And altitude.

=============

The screw should turn easily.  If not, it is corroded in place with brass oxidation and you need to hit it with a penetrant spray like Kroil or WD40 before attempting to force it.

=============

Don't turn it out more than 3 turns or it can vibrate out and fall out when riding.  There is a spring behind it that gives it retaining friction.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/20/09 at 04:16:12

It should turn easily with a very small diameter screwdriver handle.

Close the needle & count turns to know where it is from factory,GENTLE with the needle. Soft stuff in there, when you feel the needle hit the seat, stop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 10/20/09 at 07:36:42

I have a question about this also. I've noticed some strangeness while messing with this air mix screw. I bought my bike (06) used (I'm the 3rd owner).
First off, the PO told me he'd done no mods on the bike and I believe him. The brass cover was already off so I'm assuming the 1st owner did that.
When I turned the screw CW to determine where my starting point was it was only out 1 1/4 turns. I turned it CCW 1/2 turn past that (so it was now out 1 3/4 turns). Adjusted the idle screw to bring down the rpm's too.
It starting backfiring like crazy when I shut the thottle down fast...like really loud gunfire backfire! It hadn't done that before??? Just a gentle "poof" when shutting down previously. After the adjustment, it didn't "poof" anymore at shutdown but man did it backfire while riding!  HuhI set it back where it was and it seems to stop the backfire and return the shut down to a "poof".
I'm thinking that because the air mix screw really isn't out very far that maybe the 1st owner had rejetted. Does this seem like a logical explanation?
I also live a mile up 5280ft...
Any insights?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/20/09 at 08:32:04

You're a mile up, air is leaner so your adjustment will be leaner too.
You made the idle fatter causing you to close down the throttle, as soon as you close the throttle down you are more likely to pop.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 10/20/09 at 08:59:48

Thanks verslagen, let me see if I'm getting this right. Since I'm a mile up the idle mix screw won't need to be turned out so many times to richen the carb? I was under the impression that if I richen it, it would stop backfires not cause them.
Right now it runs good (no backfires just a little poof on shutdown) but I plan to put on (maybe) a Dyna over the winter.
I'm stock on the air filter and exhaust.
What I'm really trying to do is keep it running as cool as I can.
Thanks again

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #6 - 10/20/09 at 09:33:37

Bubba wrote on 10/20/09 at 08:59:48:
What I'm really trying to do is keep it running as cool as I can.
Thanks again

Oil cooler? jk . As the humidity goes away i find my self fiddling with the screw, actually i find my self messing with it a lot more then just when weather changes, but thats what i like to do.

I think the air is less dence so it requires a little less fuel then sealevel areas otherwise it will be to much fuel to air, rich. But what about cooler air, isnt that supose to be more dence then regular air? so It seems both are variables for density of air?now i have confused my self.  sorry for any confusion.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 10/20/09 at 09:37:14

is this in the carb? or the idle screw?

we left the needle alone when we rejetted, is what's being discussed in the carb? brass cover?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #8 - 10/20/09 at 09:40:53

Hey rocco, they talking about the air mixture screw, the screw on the right side of carb that has brass cover that you gotta pry off to adjust.

the one that helps with the farts and what not.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 10/20/09 at 09:43:54

Well, since we don't have a temp gauge I'm kind of wingin it here but essentially I know the bikes from the factory run lean i.e. hot. So what I'm hoping to do is get the temps down so I don't shorten the life of my spiffy new bike...run as rich as I can w/o backfires or a drop in performance.
Like I said, it runs good right now just want to make sure I'm not runnin over hot.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 10/20/09 at 09:43:57

hmmmmm OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!! ok i gotcha! we did screw around with that for a little while. the screw is just chilling there, so i assume there's no brass cover over it.

anyone got a pic of the cover?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #11 - 10/20/09 at 09:46:36

i think i saw picture of before and after in thech section under toc where it show how to do that

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #12 - 10/20/09 at 09:56:46

I dont think the factory condition would casue any damage in its lean condition. from what i hear the bike is designed quite well. (I dont have much expirience in this so definitly get as many ideas and opinions!)

But, like you, i like it running at its prime. it seems like when i find a sweet spot something changes and its not to sweet. wait till you change out the air filter and muffler! i like the phrase someone said about mods are like opening a can of worms! Grin.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 10/20/09 at 10:02:31

Our bikes are jetted to pass emission standards at sea level, where they are delivered...  that makes them a little lean at sea level, but at 5000ft you may actually be a bit rich, or likely close to correct, with stock jetting.

Lean backfire is a common problem, because most populations are at sea level.  
You can get a rich backfire too...
Lean backfires happen when there's not enough fuel in the cylinder to make a good boom, and unspent fuel goes past the combustion chamber into the pipe.
Rich backfires have too much fuel and not enough oxygen for a good boom, and again, unspent fuel goes into the pipe and pops there...

A good indicator of overall jetting is the weather...if popping/backfiring increases on humid days, or at higher elevation, that indicates rich....less popping at those times indicates lean.

Also,.. too low of an idle speed will cause backfire on decel... you might just try raising your idle speed by 100rpm or so, and see if that helps...

« Last Edit: 10/20/09 at 17:12:26 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 10/20/09 at 10:02:43

Yep, that's why I bought this particular bike. You can actually do things to it w/o all the electronic BS to wade through. I'm pretty stoked about getting some more air to this thing and rejetting...just don't want to cook the poor thing...haha

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:19:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Mix Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.