Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plans and questions - Performance (Read 187 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Plans and questions - Performance
10/19/09 at 23:23:10

I've been cutting all my questions up into different threads and IMO wasting a lot of space here. So im going to keep all my sidecar and sup-up questions in two distinct threads. The sidecar thread I'll continue in "Of interest to Burn PGH". My performance questions I'll keep here under the following categories.

Plans -
Overbore - Already convinced on sending it to boretech for the carbide treatment
Oversized Piston - Questions about Wiseco piston, pin etc already answered
Barnett Clutch - Questions already essentially answered through my own research here
Lancer carb kit - I trust Lancer. Im buying it.
Lancer cam - Stage 1 or Stage 2

Questions -
Stage 1 or 2 cam - I'm basically trying to get as much out of my bike as I can. The stage 1 cam is recommended for a stock or near stock engine. Stage 2 for an engine with increased compression, (95/96mm wiseco piston. The crowned piston does increase compression from what I understand. I can't imagine that it doesnt at least to some extent. Correct?) overbore (95/96mm) or porting. My question is this...Considering Im definately doing an overbore, and with a wiseco also increasing compression, what would you all recommend as far as the choice of cam?
Porting - I am TERRIBLY uncertain of myself in doing this job. I really am afraid of doing it mostly because I only grasp the very basics of it. My question(s) is/are this.
1 - If I were to do it/have it done would it do any good while still running a stock header( and SE slashcut)? If not Id spring for a Raask. I already plan on spending $1k on all the other stuff. Might aswell up it for full results.
If so to what extent should I have the exhaust port opened (I mean the V section aswell as the aluminum "port" right by the exhaust gasket) for stock? For raask?
Im sure this is something I COULD do myself with the knowledge. Can anyone recommend reading material to teach me? (hoepfully enough to DIY it, but if not just to know)
If not can anyone recommend somewhere to have the porting done? Im willing to ship it out. i just want to make sure its done right if i decide to have it done.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: Plans and questions - Performance
Reply #1 - 10/20/09 at 05:55:55

where do you get those cams?  difficult to install?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/20/09 at 07:35:52

Cam source, Lancer, If you can do a cam chain, you can do the cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #3 - 10/20/09 at 08:57:37

i see  so you replace the cams at the same time as you do the cam chain

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/20/09 at 11:18:23

No law requires it, but youll have the chain in hand to change the cam.I waited for yhe chain job to install the cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/20/09 at 12:18:24

I know i can do the cam. I just dont know if i should get stage 1 or 2 considering the other mods im doing (overbore, wiseco piston etc). If I got the stage 2 Id want the exhaust port opened to take full advantage. That procedure I dont know that i can do myself. Where can I send the head for it to be done pro? Any recommended shops? And If I had the exhaust port opened would it entirely defeat the purpose to run a stock header?

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 10/20/09 at 18:49:56

In the past Lancer has always indicated the stage 2 as you call it is a racing based cam and unless you are running top end stuff all the time you are better with the stage 1.  I am building a cafe bike and bought a stage 1.

If you seach the tech section Savage_Greg did a full documentary on the porting work he did if I remember right.  Step by step on what and where and roughly how much to grind.

I would not bother with porting unless you are going to open up that header.  That is if you really want to get the full top end out of your engine.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 10/20/09 at 19:17:12

Open up that exhaust port!!!. for some reason Suzuki cast a lip in the exhaust port that really restricts the flow coming out of the head. I pulled the pipe, set the engine so the valves were closed and packed the exhaust port with paper towels. Then I hit that lip with a dremel and a rotary burr tip. i didn't polish anything, just removed most of the lip and smoothed out the passageway. It only took about 15 minutes and a couple beers to keep the hands steady. And yes I noticed the difference. Don't choke the cam with a restricted exhaust port, just let that baby breath.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/20/09 at 21:59:09

I've read lancers post and a few others. None of the pictures are still available and Im really better at learning by watching rather than reading. I can't seem to find a specific thread in the tech section regarding the exhaust port, by Savage Greg or anyone else...Just grind down that lip and grind a smooth transition to the valves then?
Side question. Raask is a bit pricey for my blood though not out of the question. As i understand it Jardine made a full exhaust system for the Savage? Or was it intended for another model? All I've seen are slip ons for the savage even on the Jardine site.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 10/21/09 at 02:06:08

Ed L
 Do You have any pics of your modified exhaust port.
 Thanks

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 10/21/09 at 20:20:22

Ed L. wrote on 10/20/09 at 19:17:12:
Open up that exhaust port!!!. for some reason Suzuki cast a lip in the exhaust port that really restricts the flow coming out of the head. I pulled the pipe, set the engine so the valves were closed and packed the exhaust port with paper towels. Then I hit that lip with a dremel and a rotary burr tip. i didn't polish anything, just removed most of the lip and smoothed out the passageway. It only took about 15 minutes and a couple beers to keep the hands steady. And yes I noticed the difference. Don't choke the cam with a restricted exhaust port, just let that baby breath.

How much of a difference did it make? And was your cam and exhaust stock?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:15:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plans and questions - Performance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.