Riding 2 Up ? (Read 296 times)
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riding 2 Up ?
10/19/09 at 16:15:05

Hi Guys

Well I have had my savage for 2 weeks now - what a fun little bike...!
I had a question for those that ride 2 up, how do you guys find the bike ?
Do you have to ride 2 gear down - <3rd instead of 4th >, when cruising around town or on the highway -
Do you have any tips for 2 up riding...... me and my wife used to ride sport bikes  <600cc> 2up  - so she is not a stranger on the back of a motorcycle.

Just wondering if the bike is really meant for single riders.....?

The other day she sat in the drivers seat and commented how comfortable it was - maybe this savage can convince her that she too can drive - she is uneasy about driving her self.

Thanks
Nick

Thanks

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Riding 2 Up ?
Reply #1 - 10/19/09 at 16:45:56

Welcome nick. I ride 2 up all the time. both on the streets and the highway. The wife and I just did a toy run up in canada did about two hundred miles over the weekend. The real question is in total weight. I upgraded the shocks since so we dont botttom out so much as I am a little on the large side. as for gears I dont shift any different then I do alone.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 10/19/09 at 19:16:30

The only issue you will have is the size of the person riding with you, how experienced they are and how experienced you are.  

My son has been riding mini-bikes and mini-cycles since he was 8.  He's 14 now.  Up to the point he hit the last growth spert, the bike didn't know he was there.  Only knew it at stop lights where you could feel that it was a bit more top heavy.  He is the best rider I've ever had on the back.  Experience pays.  Cool  The bike did the hills here on the east side of PA with no problems.  

BUT..... He is now almost 15, 180 lbs, 5'9" and a High School Freshman football lineman.  Needless to say, my 5'10" and his 5'9" made riding two-up too uncomfortable for us (picture those pict's of loaded to the gills bikes in Asia).  He fit's on the fixer Sportster  Cheesy.  But it's way more top heavy at lights.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #3 - 10/19/09 at 19:22:09

I ride 2 up and I ride the same as usual. But I have done some mods so I may have a little more pep than most but It still doesnt matter them Savages are all torque. I keep up with all the V-twins in my group on every ride to there amazment.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/19/09 at 19:41:23

My primary complaint is simply room.  There's enough power, I do change my shift points and watch for letting rpm get low.  My other complaint is braking.  I can really feel the extra weight on braking.

I suspect the comfort part depends a great deal on the saddles fitted, mods for more room, and the size of the parties.  My wife is a bit thicker than she used to be and I'm 5'10" - so it's just a little bit tight!  

On the other hand, it's OK if we stop regularly.  Wednesday we're going over the Dragon to Robbinsville and back over Cherohala Skyway, if the temperature will allow it.  Her idea, so it's not too uncomfortable, clearly!

On the other hand, I'm still looking for an inexpensive 2 up larger bike so I can ride and breathe!

But I think I'll keep the 650 and do it black and sleek for commuting and banging around.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 10/20/09 at 06:44:12

Nick,

I'm getting kind of a mixed message from your post. You're asking a beginner's question but I get the impression you have riding experience (more than two weeks) so I don't want to be insulting by pointing out the obvious. The Savage is set up for two riders, but you really have to be careful of the braking unless you both weigh less than 100#s. Also be careful on the corners not to drag really bad. Power starting up is not really an issue, but stopping from highway speeds can really eat up the real estate in a hurry.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 10/20/09 at 16:23:07

Start stopping sooner. That is the biggest one I've noticed.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/21/09 at 03:15:10

Stopping is the main thing.  I'm normally a 2 finger brake user, but I use 4 fingers with Ms. G on the back and really haul in.  

We're curious about the real capabilities, so are taking off for a ride today.  Heading out over US129 to Deal's Gap, then to Robbinsville and back over the Cherohala Skyway.  Funny thing, our cute local roads are pretty good riding.  We have a Vulcan 900 going along, so if the 650 seems to be overwhelmed Ms. G can pop over onto the Vulcan.

It's tight enough that we arranged to pick up a Volusia yesterday.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

THANX
Reply #8 - 10/21/09 at 08:42:50

Thanks everyone
I have been riding sport bikes for almost 5 years, all have had dual rotors, so stopping was never a problem no matter who was on it.
This is my first cruising bike, I was just trying to get some feed back before me and my girl friend <she has been riding pillion for just as long> head out on to the road....thats all .

I wonder if there are any break up grades available for the savage ?
thanks
nik

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 10/21/09 at 10:42:17

I don't think the dual rotors is any better than 1, my 1500 Suzuki has one and is twice as heavy and really stops good,but the diameter is a lot bigger.Which puts it a lot closer to the outside of the wheel.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/21/09 at 10:59:57

As I sat here reading about what it takes to ride 2 up, my mind drifted back to a memory of my first bike.
   I had a brand new Honda 90 "Dream" in 1967, & in Tenn. you could get a limited license at age 14. The pretty girl across the street would hit me if I didn't take her riding, & her father & brothers would hit me if I did. Since I couldn't hit a girl, Ichose to fight the brothers. Grin
   The point is, we rode all over the area around Jackson 2 up on a 90cc bike with drum brakes & we survived. I think we're all pretty spoiled. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/21/09 at 11:36:29

If I have enough braking power to lock a tire up, do I need more brake?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 10/21/09 at 12:09:07

Yeah I think you do Justin, because the idea is not to lock up the brakes especially during an emergency stop. It's well established that you can exert more stopping force (translates into shorter stopping distances) by not locking the brakes than you can by breaking the tires loose (skidding). You also have lots more control not sliding. The problem with insufficient brakes is that they are difficult to control at maximum braking (not locking them up) and they can fade rapidly, so brakes that you could lock up at the beginning of a ride can fade after multiple stops (in town riding) or during an emergency stop.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/21/09 at 12:54:58

Good answer..
All Ive managed is to mod the brake for better control/feel. But, If I was carrying someone I can see how it would be possible to get them hot & make them fade. I had that happen on a car a time or 2,, pretty scary when ya got both feet on the brake & its not doing squat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 10/21/09 at 14:34:50

And imagine what your steering input is going to be like if you have your right arm gripping as hard as possible in attempt to get braking force. In cages, I've inverted a couple of cups (remember those - not sure if you could do that in modern brakes) in the brakes - then you really are in a bad way (trying to pump your brakes for any affect at all) - from an older, wiser perspective, I probably know waaaay too much about fading brakes  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:20:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding 2 Up ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.