Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
continuous screeching noise (Read 395 times)
russian
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

continuous screeching noise
10/19/09 at 11:50:10

hello everyone!
my 2007 S40 recently started to make what sounds like metal on metal  noise. it occurs and continues when i start riding, when the bike is idling the engine runs fine, but once i start moving there comes that screeching sound which gets louder as i accelerate, then it goes down a tiny bit. i checked the belt tension, seems to be ok, oil level is fine too. i have no idea what it is and probably will have to take the bike to the dealer, which i hate to do. any suggestions?

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: continuous screeching noise
Reply #1 - 10/19/09 at 11:55:10

The belt drive is telling you it would rather be a chain drive.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/19/09 at 12:06:01

check to see the belt is aligned on both pulleys or as close to aligned as you can possibly manage. Try rubbing some bar soap or wax along the edges of the belt and see if that makes any difference. I was lucky with my belt. Many people complain about the belt sqeal but mine only ever did it when it was wet and it would quit after a few minuites riding even then.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/19/09 at 12:11:31

i checked the belt tension, seems to be ok,

How did you check it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/19/09 at 12:26:44

It's either the belt, or the speedo mount...

Put something on the belt,... baby powder, wax, WD-40,... anything,... and see if the sound changes...
If it does,... that the problem...
if it don't,.. it's the speedo mount...
Solution for that is in the Tech section...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/19/09 at 15:40:47

Rear pulley alignment, lift the rear wheel off the ground.  With the bike in neutral, rotate the wheel by hand.  Observe the belt, is it running in the center or to one side?  Adjust as necessary.  Now rotate the wheel in the opposite direction, same as before.

Now this is assuming you have a stock belt configuration in good shape and everything in the correct place.

If the belt is not running true in the front pulley, make sure you have the rear wheel spacers on the correct side.

If the belt can't be made to behave in the rear pulley I would suspect the pulley bearing, or the rubber dampers.  

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 10/19/09 at 19:10:31

My 87 once made a bad noise when the front belt cover was loose and scrubbing on the pulley.  I don't think I have seen anyone. mention that

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 10/20/09 at 08:43:24

Could be the disc brake squeal.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/20/09 at 12:23:37

If its constant brake disc squeal would indicate a stuck caliper and that would be pretty noticeable right off as the bike would get terrible mileage and have terrible acceleration and top speed. Not fixing it quickly could wear the pads mighty fast and end up pressing the backing plate to the rotor. In that case you may need a new rotor. Im still hedging my bets on the belt.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 10/20/09 at 20:45:58

After a brief ride, you could gingerly (Carefully?) touch each brake to feel if either is hot..from the rubbing.  If not, the belt or front belt cover rubbing is the most likely culprit.  Has anyone ever taken off a engine case on your bike?  Best of luck, please keep us informed. Wink

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 10/20/09 at 21:57:45

What you describe is my belt screeching like a wild Banchee. Mine is worse in cold weather, but most times goes away after a mile or 2.

If the belt is aligned, and  shows no signs of serious wearing on the edges, don't worry about it. No matter how noisy it is, it still beats the hell out of a pita chain.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/20/09 at 22:57:57

Until you get a nail caught in it and it snaps. Then you're waiting for your buddy with his pickup in the rain wishing you had a chain and a few cheap tools to keep going meerily on your way.
Then again I have to keep a keen eye on lube and adjustment. And it is dirty. But...they both have advantages.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 10/21/09 at 05:49:33

Of course, broken chains have been known to result in locked rear wheels or broken engine cases, depending on how the chain whips when it breaks. Same thing can happen if a loose chain comes off one or other sprocket.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/21/09 at 05:58:26

BurnPgh wrote on 10/20/09 at 22:57:57:
Until you get a nail caught in it and it snaps. Then you're waiting for your buddy with his pickup in the rain wishing you had a chain and a few cheap tools to keep going meerily on your way.
Then again I have to keep a keen eye on lube and adjustment. And it is dirty. But...they both have advantages.

I find it best to always watch for nails on the road on rainy days.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 10/21/09 at 06:34:48

Yes, thats just common sense. I ziz zag around nails all the time, that why I never have flat tires or broken belts  Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:34:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › continuous screeching noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.