Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
size of rear axle bolt? (Read 95 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

size of rear axle bolt?
10/19/09 at 11:49:59

what size of socket do I need to take the rear axle nut off?   does it need to be a deep socket or will just the normal depth be okay?

I'm starting to stock up on tools a little, going to get a motorcycle lift, a cheap one from Tractor Supply for $110 or so, need some offset wrenches, 17mm and 10mm right??  feeler guages, a gapper ummm, what else will I need for basic maintenance so I don't have to pay the shop???

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: size of rear axle bolt?
Reply #1 - 10/19/09 at 12:29:13

8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 18, 22, 24, 30, 32 sockets and or wrenches will pretty much cover anything you intend to do. Cheap torque wrench. I've only ever used a scissor jack and some peices of 2x4 and I've had the engine out twice and replaced both wheels. A motorcycle jack would be helpful but not neccessary if you're looking for cheap. Dial caliper. compression tester. Harbor freight has cheap valve spring compressor tools and honers. Impact driver. Definately get an impact driver. Tube of high temp gasket maker. Electrical tape. Some machanics wire. 3 Tire spoons. Red and blue locktite. Small rubber mallet. 6 pack. With these things you can do basically any and all maint excluding actually boring out your cylinder on your own.

The axle bolt is either 22mm or 24. 22 im pretty sure.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/20/09 at 13:19:25

Small rubber mallet and a 6-pack?? What's the mallet for?  Wink Cheesy

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/20/09 at 14:20:01

Trust me. The mallet comes in quite handy with stubborn nuts and bolts. The 6 pack is for stubborn nuts and bolts that the mallet cant handle.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 12/14/09 at 21:18:54

LostArtist wrote on 10/19/09 at 11:49:59:
what size of socket do I need to take the rear axle nut off?   does it need to be a deep socket or will just the normal depth be okay?....

Mine (see signature) takes a 24mm.  A 15/16" socket will also work.  Deep well socket not needed on mine.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #5 - 12/15/09 at 00:40:45

You need a 24mm socket.

A torque wrench will be handy for making sure it's tightened up to spec, around 60 ftlb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › size of rear axle bolt?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.