in frame repairs (Read 75 times)
billnoroville
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

in frame repairs
10/18/09 at 21:25:11

Hi all,
got a s40 3weeks ago, it had the oil plug above the head bolt problem. I didnt have time to fix so 2 hrs at 70.00 shop rate plus parts got it done.  Then I got scared because the bike had 17k on it so I pulled the case and found .80 out so ordered a new verslavey2.  I find it hard to believe Suzuki has not corrected the design to make this part of the bike more reliable than 15-20k miles. Shame on them.  My question concerns repairs that can be done without pulling the mortor from the frame.  Like replacing the cam chain for example, can that be done.

this is a great forum and I hope to participate more later.  After reading so many posts, I think the bike will be very reliable from this point on.  oh, yeah, jet kit coming too. hate the backfire or afterburn or whatever it is correctly called,  lol

fyi.My dad gave me my first bike, his 1941 knucklehead when I was 15 and I rode it to highschool in 1963. I have done most of my own wrenching over the years.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: in frame repairs
Reply #1 - 10/18/09 at 21:40:15

You can replace the cam chain in frame, but it's tricky.
The worst part of that is remembering to insert the bolt that dead center of the frame in the head cover before installing the head cover.
Can be worked around if you forget. but at that point you have done more work than if you had taken it out.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 10/19/09 at 10:18:17

I've replaced the cam chain in the frame, but it's been about 3 years ago, so I don't remember how big a hassle it was.  But yeah, don't forget the center bolt in the head cover.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/19/09 at 10:53:47

Oh, please post about that bolt in the head cover. It is the one toward the back right, just in front of the carbs, it hits the frame as you try to get it out. So you remove the head cover partially and when it clears the frame you take out the bolt ... and I guess you put it in the head cover and then put it on the head ? is my guess right ?
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/19/09 at 11:39:43

srinath wrote on 10/19/09 at 10:53:47:
Oh, please post about that bolt in the head cover. It is the one toward the back right, just in front of the carbs, it hits the frame as you try to get it out. So you remove the head cover partially and when it clears the frame you take out the bolt ... and I guess you put it in the head cover and then put it on the head ? is my guess right ?
Cool.
Srinath.

It's the one at the top, centered right under the frame.
loosen it up, pop the cover off and it clears everything.
the hard part is getting the cover over the sprocket.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › in frame repairs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.