Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Learning as I go. Clutch advise. (Read 117 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Learning as I go. Clutch advise.
10/17/09 at 23:17:55

In addition to getting a second savage to pull a sidecar I plan on doing some upgrades to the one I have now. Not until next year but...might aswell ask now. I plan on getting one of lancers carb kits and stage 1 cam. I dont really know anything about the clutch or clutches in general but I figure it couldnt hurt to go with an aftermarket set of plates as mine are getting thin. No slipping yet but...What would be the benefit of getting just the friction plates and springs from barnett as opposed to getting friction plates, drive plates, and springs? Sorry if its a dumb question. Learning as I go along, but I've learned a $#!+ ton in the last year.

PS - anyone know what it'll cost me before I call?

PPS - Has the mass vs counter balancer issue been hashed out for a weisco piston? I'd also like to do an overbore. Thinking 95mm. Maybe 96. I understand that the DR650 and LS650 psitons are interchangable up to a certain year? The info on weisco for '95 LS650 pistons is...off. The stroke is apparently 90.4mm? I know that isnt right. Displacement for a 94mm piston is 641cc? I know THAT isnt right. Even for the 95mm Im looking to get its listed at 654cc. Stock is 652 so thats quite wrong.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Learning as I go. Clutch advise.
Reply #1 - 10/18/09 at 00:18:17

piston,
the ls650 is 9x94mm
the stock size for the dr650 is 95mm, so the closest is a 1mm overbore.

clutch,
the plates are the same size as a sv650 which can be gotten with kevlar friction material instead of cork.  only dif is the sv650 uses one more plate than ours.  there is a kit and from time to time, it can be gotten cheap.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 10/18/09 at 08:22:11

Stock S40/LS650 is 94 mm bore, 94 mm stroke. If I were going to do as much work as you in terms of overboring and so on, with pulling a sidecar in mind, I think I might also go with the chain conversion and gear the bike down just a little for more first-gear "grunt." Adding the sidecar is probably going to double the weight of the bike alone, and a little lower gearing might be nice for starting up steep hills.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/18/09 at 09:26:52

sidecars going on a second savage. This one's already got a chain.

I know the stock is 94x94. Im just wondering why the weisco website is saying its 94x90.4 for a savage. Incorrect info on the website makes me wary of buying a piston from them for fear I'll end up with the wrong product.

Are all years of SV plates compatible? Im seeing different kits for different years on ebay.

IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #4 - 10/18/09 at 09:45:47

verslagen1 wrote on 10/18/09 at 00:18:17:
piston,
the ls650 is 9x94mm
the stock size for the dr650 is 95mm, so the closest is a 1mm overbore.

clutch,
the plates are the same size as a sv650 which can be gotten with kevlar friction material instead of cork.  only dif is the sv650 uses one more plate than ours.  there is a kit and from time to time, it can be gotten cheap.

SO basically we can buy a SV650  clutch kit and drop one and it'll bolt right up?

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/18/09 at 11:55:11

Or, you can shim the springs a bit. Finding washers of the same thickness is no small task. Then, sizing them to sit on the land the clutch spring is supposed to sit on is a little trick. Overall, I think it was worth it,

Wouldnt want too stout a setup, because the throwout arm has been known to tear its rotator cuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/18/09 at 13:34:27

Texas-1-lunger wrote on 10/18/09 at 09:45:47:
SO basically we can buy a SV650  clutch kit and drop one and it'll bolt right up?

Yep
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1230983538/5#5

I measured all the disks and they match our disks.  Comes with a set of springs, but don't think we can use them.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:18:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Learning as I go. Clutch advise.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.