Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
needing suspension help...ASAP (Read 210 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

needing suspension help...ASAP
10/16/09 at 18:43:25

I need to replace my shocks with something better.
I weigh in at 230 and have a history of neck and back injuries. I also have a 26'' inseam so I need short!
The most recent accident caused the addition of two metal rods and the removal of three disk. The result is that small road bumps (as small as a seam in the asphalt) send a quick shock up my spine and into the brain. “Instant Migraine!” My work schedule has me on the road at night which makes matters even worse. My fear is that I hit a patch of washboard road and the repeated shocks turn my brain switch off (at speed).
I recently road a stock Honda 750 shadow for an hour or two with absolutely no trouble; so I know it is the suspension on “this” bike.
I can give up  and move to another bike...but I love my thumper!
I am seeing comments here about different progressive shocks but nothing about “specific” model numbers? The progressive page shows over 60 series 412 model shocks. Any suggestions on the correct fitments would be appreciated.
Where on the progressive shock is the model number located? It is not visible from the product line pictures. If I buy 2nd hand I will need to know what I am buying.

I need some numbers.
What model of progressive 412 am I looking for?
Where do I find the model number stamped on the shock?
Is there a different stock bike suspension that would work for me?
Thanks for any and all help!
JB

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: needing suspension help...ASAP
Reply #1 - 10/16/09 at 18:59:01

Have you tried raising the front of the seat by 1 inch. It allows you to sit back farther on the seat and get the weight on you butt cheeks instead of the tail bone. Can't help with the shocks,

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/16/09 at 19:22:27

Thanks for the reply Ed. Yes, the seat change was one of my first mods. Along those same lines, I tried a horse collar like football uniforms. I believe that it's the metal and bone being slammed up into the skull. It is just too quick for me to respond to. If I don't do somehing pretty quick I will start walking and talking like Muhammad Ali Smiley

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/16/09 at 22:43:51

412-4005 (90/115 lb preset i think). Thats the harley number and they're all over ebay. IIRC the metric part no. is 412-4232 but its the same thing. If you get the Harley version you'll have to call progressive and order metric inserts. The part # for inserts is 5011-051, or 5011-008. One of them is JUST the inserts you'll need, the other one is all the inserts progressive has available. The one that has ALL the inserts is only a few $ more. I figured I might be able to use them for something so i got all of them. I don't remember which part # is which but call and they'll tell you. The ones you need are for a kawasaki mean streak. You could also get 412-4233 which are stiffer (110/130lb preset i think) and will more closely approximate the spring load on the stock shocks but will be much better quality. I like the 4005's but I have them set at 5 all the time. The ride is bouncy as opposed to bumpy. I dont know what the harley number for 4233's is. Someone will chime in im sure.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/17/09 at 00:07:58

With your problem the 412-1005's might be the ticket.
But I would try a longer travel shock.  This might cause a problem with you inseam though.

i'm 240 and have the 412-1005's and they're good.  But a little soft for my weight even on the setting 5.  You can ride over man hole covers and wonder where they went.

WWW   IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #5 - 10/17/09 at 06:20:32

i never got around to it.

Someone posted how they cut a notch in the back of the seat so there tail dont have as much pressue, they say it worked very well.

hmm got me thinking now ill be back.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/17/09 at 06:51:42

How are the progressive shocks marked? If I buy something on craigslist, how do I know which model of 412 I'm lookinbg at?
JB

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 10/17/09 at 08:25:33

Suzuki Intruder 800 shocks will bolt up easy...
2" taller, 1" is sag...  , my buddy, Gerry is heavier than you and 26" inseam and can sit both feet flat easy...
2" taller may require slight trimming of beltgaurd at the front pulley.
They are very soft, but they are for a heavier bike... with your weight, I wouldn't recommend 2-up with them...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/17/09 at 16:37:32

Thanks for all the feedback.
I purchased a set from Craigslist still in the box. The PO said that he bought them for a bike he was building for a client that decided that he wanted longer shocks.
Serowbot, you will be pleased to note that these are the progressive replacements for the 800cc M50. They are 11.5'', which will give me just a little more travel (2.5 inches) without sitting up too tall. They look different than the 412 series, with the pre-load adjustment at the top. The spring covers look to be machined aluminum. The spring decal clearly states that the spring is a 03-1313 which equates to a 440-4201B/C.
There is no definitive model number on the shock or the box.

I need to contact Progressive to get the correct bushings to mount them. The Savage pins mic at .548 OD and the Progressive collar has an OD of .644 with an ID slightly too small to drop over the pins.
The Google searches that I did show these shocks at $625 plus or minus. The gentleman on Craigslist sold them to me for 75.00

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 10/17/09 at 16:41:58

You really got a deal on them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/17/09 at 16:53:22

If they stop the nose bleeds and the ringing in my ears there a steal!
If not I'll sell them to you for 75.00!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/17/09 at 17:33:24

Good luck with them... They look nice..  Wink

Be sure to check the belt for clearance at the front pulley area... the raise in height changes the angle there a little bit...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/17/09 at 18:56:16

JohnBoy wrote on 10/17/09 at 16:37:32:
Thanks for all the feedback.
I purchased a set from Craigslist still in the box. The PO said that he bought them for a bike he was building for a client that decided that he wanted longer shocks.
Serowbot, you will be pleased to note that these are the progressive replacements for the 800cc M50. They are 11.5'', which will give me just a little more travel (2.5 inches) without sitting up too tall. They look different than the 412 series, with the pre-load adjustment at the top. The spring covers look to be machined aluminum. The spring decal clearly states that the spring is a 03-1313 which equates to a 440-4201B/C.
There is no definitive model number on the shock or the box.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_TCSH6bqjHEM/StpTp-dr4II/AAAAAAAAAcg/PWSxlTFzQHM/s720/pr...
I need to contact Progressive to get the correct bushings to mount them. The Savage pins mic at .548 OD and the Progressive collar has an OD of .644 with an ID slightly too small to drop over the pins.
The Google searches that I did show these shocks at $625 plus or minus. The gentleman on Craigslist sold them to me for 75.00

these are one stiffer than the 412-1005, you got a great.  If they don't work for you I got a set 1005's I'll trade.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: needing suspension help...Resolved!
Reply #13 - 10/23/09 at 13:12:40

Well, I got the Progressives installed today and I will give you my first impressions.
The 440's at 11.5 inch will fit with no modification. I did add a thick washer to the inside of the bottom stud on the belt side. The clearance was only a 1/16th of an inch or so, and the extra 1/8th inch gave me a little more peace of mind.
The bike now sits up at least an inch higher. My 26 inch inseam still allows both feet to fit flat on the ground with my knees bent a little. Note: I cut down my seat quite a bit.
Adjusting the shock pre-load is a snap! The adjustment is made from the top by turning the spring cover by hand. Left (cw) for harder, right(ccw) for softer. The covers turn a full 11 rotations lock to lock. I started at five turns.
From here on out everything that I say is subjective so take it for what it is worth.
I made several five mile runs over railroad tracks and pot holes and generally poor road. This is the same stretch of road that I cover going to work every day.  Speeds averaged 45 mph. At a pre-load of five turns my neck was still taking a pounding but not so bad as it did with the stock shocks. At three turns my body was able to relax and roll with the shocks to my spine.
I am at one turn now, and while I can still feel the road surface, the shocks are soaking up the sharp jarring blows. All this time I have been making a conscious effort not to tense up or protect my neck in any way. I might go to No pre-load, but I want to ride here at one turn for a while.
With the bike being slightly higher, it seems to turn in faster. Now, I know this is going to sound crazy, but it feels like it is faster! I t seems quicker to accelerate from a light, change lanes, and climb through the gears. This might be from more confidence in the road feel or it might be from the rear end maintaining better contact with the road surface.
One thing that is very noticeable is the vibration in the front end. I'm sure it was there before, but I didn't notice it until I changed my shocks.
Sounds like Progressive fork springs are in order!
At this time I want to thank all of you who helped me solve this problem...you are a great group of guys!!!
JB

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 10/23/09 at 17:02:59

Ok I know this doesn't add much info (except a Progressive shocks high-five  Cheesy )  But those shocks (# 412-4005) seviersavage sold me.. Oh yeah!  Just right for my skinny 150 lb. butt.  Plus the longer shocks jacked up the rear end a little, which reduced rake and lightened up the steering.. more sporty.  The bike doesn't "fall in" to corners as much, and I've yet to scrape a peg.. definitely gained some cornering clearance.  Danm good investment.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › needing suspension help...ASAP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.