Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dowco Weatherall Plus Covers (or other covers) (Read 306 times)
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Re: Dowco Weatherall Plus Covers (or other covers)
Reply #15 - 10/19/09 at 11:55:41

Just looked online and the Dowco Weatherall cover has - "Aluminized heat shields that allow immediate use after riding"

Anyone got a cover with these shields on and do they work? In the pic it looks to me like the cover is neatly against a heat shield, with the pipe fully exposed. Maybe that's how you have to use it.

I have a cover with silver panels at the bottom which look very similiar to the Dowco panels, but I have always put it on after the bike has cooled.

I feel an experiment coming on  Undecided

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 10/19/09 at 16:42:10

PhilM wrote on 10/19/09 at 11:55:41:
Just looked online and the Dowco Weatherall cover has - "Aluminized heat shields that allow immediate use after riding"

Anyone got a cover with these shields on and do they work? In the pic it looks to me like the cover is neatly against a heat shield, with the pipe fully exposed. Maybe that's how you have to use it.

I have a Dowco Weatherall Plus, or however they call their most expensive model of cover.  I try my best to commute 8 months of the year where I live, and that means a cover that can do the job during the nasty months of the year.  It ran about $85 at motorcyclesuperstore.com and includes the aluminized portion at the bottom.

Dowco's literature and wording is inconsistent on the usage of the aluminized portion of the cover.  Just now I pulled the product box off the shelf in the closet, and it says the words "Aluminized heat-resistant panels safely cover hot exhaust pipes" on the front and back sides of the product box.  Although I threw away the product manual a couple weeks ago, I remember reading several times that it said the aluminized heat shield can be used on warm exhaust pipes, and also something like "Wait 5-10 minutes after riding before putting the aluminized portion on the exhaust.  It will extend product life...." (or something similar)

I gave up trying to remember and just found a link to their .PDF product manual.
http://www.dowcopowersports.com/data/resources_pdfs/GuardianWeatherAllPlusMot...

The cover is working great after 1 year.  I've stored the bike for the winter in a self-storage facility using the cover, no problems.  I'm getting my money's worth.

-Pabst

P.S. if it's real rainy when I get done with a ride/commute, and I don't have an opportunity to return to the bike to cover it after 10ish minutes, it's been OK covering it immediately.  I pop out the passenger pegs to keep the cover from hugging the hot pipes too tightly.  Seems to work fine after several times of doing this.

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #17 - 10/19/09 at 16:42:18

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/19/09 at 10:44:40:
One of the questions my insurance agent asked was whether the bike is kept in a locked structure when not in use. Might need to consider that in your choice of storage options.

My insurance guy also asked me that.  As I thought about it, he said it didn't matter as it would only change my premium if I had a crazy expensive custom type bike.  

IP Logged
xlyzx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/19/09 at 19:02:06

Thanks Pabst!

What size is your cover?  (and how much added stuff do you have to the width/height of the bike?)

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 10/19/09 at 19:20:42

serenity3743 wrote on 10/19/09 at 10:36:26:
FreeSpirit wrote on 10/19/09 at 07:14:06:
I'm pretty sure the instructions say to let the muffler cool before putting the cover on the bike.

And also, maybe its just common sense  Wink

FreeSpirit, I do know to let the muffler cool, both from the directions and from my common sense.  But arriving at work and not having a chance later to come back to the bike and cover it, I would generally just try to drape it over the upper part of the bike.  The burns happened to the new cover when I'd be trying to drape one part and another part was falling on the hot pipe.  It seems that new stuff is really attracted to the hot header and muffler:  my new Goretex insulated pants, my new NelsonRigg rainsuit, and my new FroggToggs rain gear.  They've all got holes burned in them. :'(

I'm sorry,I was just endearingly picking on you.
Sometimes my dry sense of humor dosent come off as intended.
I just really liked your whole description of your MC cover Grin Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #20 - 10/20/09 at 08:50:26

FreeSpirit wrote on 10/19/09 at 19:20:42:
serenity3743 wrote on 10/19/09 at 10:36:26:
FreeSpirit wrote on 10/19/09 at 07:14:06:
I'm pretty sure the instructions say to let the muffler cool before putting the cover on the bike.

And also, maybe its just common sense  Wink

FreeSpirit, I do know to let the muffler cool, both from the directions and from my common sense.  But arriving at work and not having a chance later to come back to the bike and cover it, I would generally just try to drape it over the upper part of the bike.  The burns happened to the new cover when I'd be trying to drape one part and another part was falling on the hot pipe.  It seems that new stuff is really attracted to the hot header and muffler:  my new Goretex insulated pants, my new NelsonRigg rainsuit, and my new FroggToggs rain gear.  They've all got holes burned in them. :'(

I'm sorry,I was just endearingly picking on you.
Sometimes my dry sense of humor dosent come off as intended.
I just really liked your whole description of your MC cover Grin Wink

"You like me!  You really like me!"   (Name that quote)

Thanks for picking on me.  It makes me feel liked, maybe even loved. Smiley

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 10/20/09 at 17:42:57

xlyzx wrote on 10/19/09 at 19:02:06:
Thanks Pabst!

What size is your cover?  (and how much added stuff do you have to the width/height of the bike?)

I have a Memphis Shades Demon windshield attached to the bike most of the time, so I went one size up and ordered a Large size.  It's a nice fit.  On a few windy days as long as I cinch up the nylon strap/D-ring on the bottom it doesn't balloon out with the wind a whole lot, and the bike's not in danger of tipping over.

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 10/20/09 at 18:18:49

Hey I liked Sally Fields comment...I think it was real and genuine...a rarity. Wink

Now that I've had my MC cover for awhile...I think its best to go ahead and build some type of shed.A cover is good temporarily,but the bike needs a shed...and a place for all those tools.Build a shelf or two in the shed Smiley

(I just need the right building plans)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #23 - 10/21/09 at 05:09:38

[quote author=5266717147647D667D60140 link=1255725426/15#22 date=1256087929]Hey I liked Sally Fields comment...I think it was real and genuine...a rarity. Winkquote]

I believe the ORIGINAL quote was by Liza Minnelli when she received an Oscar in the 60s or 70s.  However, it has been repeated and parodied many times by many people.  It is often cited as an example of the insecurities of celebrities. Smiley

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #24 - 10/22/09 at 11:03:19

Okay, FreeSpirit, I must acknowledge that you are right and I am wrong.  Sally Field was the original, although she is frequently misquoted and my quote above is another misquote.  I looked it up on Google.

IP Logged
ohsixs40
YaBB Newbies

you are not your
khakis

va beach
Reply #25 - 11/16/09 at 19:26:27

I had a Dowco but I can't remember the name of what model it was. It was around $65-$70 on motorcyclesuperstore.com. I was loving it until we got a pretty bad storm in the area. The winds were blowing so hard that it pulled the cover tight enough against the bike that the mirrors and handlebars ripped right through!

blue 06 s40 with Ed L. forward controls. 1997 land rover discovery, two inch lift rovertym springs, 31" bfg mud terrains, series 2 brush guard, slimmed bumper, hella lights, and 140k awesome miles!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:17:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dowco Weatherall Plus Covers (or other covers)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.