Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dowco Weatherall Plus Covers (or other covers) (Read 306 times)
xlyzx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dowco Weatherall Plus Covers (or other covers)
10/16/09 at 13:37:06

Hey, forum (and motorcycle) newbie here, just bought my first S40 in August and am completely in love!  Unfortunately, I have to store my bike on my back porch/yard due to lack of fancy things like a garage, shed, or street where things don't get stolen every day.

Thus, as the weather turns more and more gross, I am realizing that I need to shed the tarp and invest in a really good outdoor cover for the bike.  Research and my pocketbook would dictate that the Dowco Weatherall Plus is a good choice.

Their sizing chart says M/SP for the S40 but I have seen in other places around the net that getting a size up on a cover is never a bad idea.

At the moment I don't have any bags or any other mods so she's completely clean, but if I do get some bags, I still want to be able to put the cover on, which was my other thought for going the size up (but I don't want the larger size to fit funny and not work right).

Thoughts?  Or is there another cover within that general price range that you like better?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Dowco Weatherall Plus Covers (or other covers)
Reply #1 - 10/16/09 at 18:36:57

My cover fits really well and I have saddle bags,etc.
I'll check and see what kind it is and what size.

I did get a size bigger to cover everything well.The fit is very nice.

I've been using it a year now and it works very well.
I'll get back to you on this.Right now all I can tell you is its black,with vents and waterproof.

Seems some dont mention being water proof.So i'd make sure on that.
Being a newbie at the time,I think I paid $65 for it.Could have been on sale though,not sure Undecided

I'm very pleased with mine!

Edit-Mine is a Nelson-Rigg, Defender- Large ( 100% waterproof)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/17/09 at 08:02:26

Really? You dont suppose an old sleeping bag over the bike & a tarp doubled over that would be good enough? I bet you could wrap that thing up nice & toasty in no time for nearly nothing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 10/18/09 at 09:12:21

This is like mine,but I didnt actually buy it from here,and mine is the large:

http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/covers/nelson_rigg/falcon_defender_200...

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 10/19/09 at 06:37:44

I think mine is a NelsonRigg.  I used it a lot when parking in the sunshine at work.  After now probably 5 or 6 years of that, it has deteriorated significantly, easily rips, feels almost dry-rotted.  Also, from the beginning, the "heat resistant panel" around the bottom melts if it touches the hot exhaust.  Guess I can't complain though.  I think I paid $50 + or -.  Oh yeah, I also used it as a rain tarp for my luggage when on road trips, so that could account for alot of the wear and tear.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 10/19/09 at 07:14:06

I'm pretty sure the instructions say to let the muffler cool before putting the cover on the bike.

And also, maybe its just common sense  Wink

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 10/19/09 at 07:39:17

Have any of you guys tried that "Bike Barn" thing?  It seems like a good idea.. to copy.  A simple gable or bent-over semicircle design could be done with PVC pipe and covered with something opaque instead of greenhouse plastic.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 10/19/09 at 07:50:21

I would like to build something pretty simple but....
how does it keep from just blowing over?

What's holding it up besides PVC? Undecided

Ok I see now it says to secure it to the ground,I guess with some type stakes,but mine would have to sit on top of concrete.

I am open to any other suggestions! Smiley

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 10/19/09 at 08:27:53

I found this pic on the internet.I guess its a heavier PVC pipe than what I imagined.
Not a bad idea! Now that I think more about it.
Although this kit to buy is around $200+. Huh
Yep,your idea is better Boule'tard/Looks better.
Maybe you could buy the materials cheaper! and DIY. Undecided

http://www.caresecrets.com/images/cycleshield/harley_bottom_base_frame_kit_me...

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #9 - 10/19/09 at 08:57:44

$200 for that thing is absolutely ridiculous, and your bike would still be visible!  

PVC pipe, plastic sheeting and dissicant (damp-rid) is cheap.  For windy areas, the pipes can be cemented together and filled with wet sand.  The hardest part would be picking a cover.. tarp, tent-like cloth, or try to put your bike in a gigantic baggie to control moisture?  Grin  I don't know.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 10/19/09 at 09:09:53

Well I think that was advertised for a Harley.
You know it would cost more Wink

Your ideas are good though. Smiley
If we could just figure out what to cover it with.

What about plexiglass? Or is it expensive?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #11 - 10/19/09 at 09:40:49

I think any kind of rigid panels would yield a better final product, but the cost of materials and time/effort of cutting and mounting each panel may not be worth it for a temporary bike shelter.  I am in the middle of a sunroom project and considering maybe something from polygal for the roof.  It would be expensive though, so I may just go with that corrogated greenroom stuff.  

But for the bike shelter I'd go the easy route and hang either a tarp or canvas on it, attached with heavy staples.  Then maybe paint it, depending on how bad I wanted everything dry, and how long it needs to last..

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 10/19/09 at 10:36:26

FreeSpirit wrote on 10/19/09 at 07:14:06:
I'm pretty sure the instructions say to let the muffler cool before putting the cover on the bike.

And also, maybe its just common sense  Wink

FreeSpirit, I do know to let the muffler cool, both from the directions and from my common sense.  But arriving at work and not having a chance later to come back to the bike and cover it, I would generally just try to drape it over the upper part of the bike.  The burns happened to the new cover when I'd be trying to drape one part and another part was falling on the hot pipe.  It seems that new stuff is really attracted to the hot header and muffler:  my new Goretex insulated pants, my new NelsonRigg rainsuit, and my new FroggToggs rain gear.  They've all got holes burned in them. :'(

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 10/19/09 at 10:44:40

One of the questions my insurance agent asked was whether the bike is kept in a locked structure when not in use. Might need to consider that in your choice of storage options.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
xlyzx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/19/09 at 11:40:03

Thanks for all the responses!

I have been using a tarp and am getting frustrated with how annoying it is to handle and the problem of forgetting to put it on and then watching my bike get soaked, not being able to do anything because putting the tarp over it while wet is like instant-rust.

We had originally bought some PVC piping with the intent of constructing some sort of structure that the tarp would lay over, but it just didn't work out with the space we have.

I'm nervous now though about people saying that you have to wait to put the cover on- that would be my normal thought, but I was specifically looking for covers that have 'heat shields' so you can use them right after riding (it says so in the description).  Is the general consensus that those don't actually work?  

(re: locked structure, I just don't have any other option.  Also, technically, the backyard is locked.  I would also probably spring for the lock on the cover as more added protection.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:24:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dowco Weatherall Plus Covers (or other covers)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.