Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I deal with crap? (Read 446 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
How do I deal with crap?
10/15/09 at 22:04:23

I took on a project
A very leaky engine (very is an understatement)
He used something that looks like Indian Head sealer for the head, clutch and stator cover.
Didn't work.
3 sessions with the pressure washer and the engine looks clean but I still finding knooks and crannies with gunk.
Now for the bad part, took off the clutch cover and there's drips of sealer all inside.  And it looks like the clutch sucked it up and the cork is all black.  
Clean the clutch or toss it to the dog?

Got the head cover off, and I'm a little concerned with the cam.  The cam journals in the head look ok, polished, a little wear.  But the cam is black at the bearings.  When I messed with the other heads, the bearings were bright.
Wassup wit dat?

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: How do I deal with crap?
Reply #1 - 10/16/09 at 00:13:50

Beats me ,you said I need a Man for the job.
Or was it the right tool? Undecided

Just jokin ya Verslagen!
Hope you get a answer....then I'll know Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 10/16/09 at 03:45:21

The clutch plates absord oil so color is related to how dirty or burnt the oil was.   Are the friction plates discolored (blued?)

As for the cam,  have you measured them? If in spec then in theroy you should be good.  Remember, it's not steel to steel where you have to worry about loosing temper/hardness.

I wonder if the PO used some kind of additive in the oil....   Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/16/09 at 06:33:21

If you want, hit the cam journals with a little 800 grit to remove the discoloration/build up.  Measure to make sure you have meat to remove and still be within factory spec. before brightening it up.

Clutch slipping?  If not, don't worry about it.  Rough up the steel plates a wee bit with 320 and remove any glazing from the friction plates with same grit.  If it wasn't slipping before, it won't slip after being roughed up (but the glazing will be gone).

Tell owner to use a high detergent high dispersant oil and expect it to get black fairly quickly -- tell him previous owner did him a disservice and engine requires a regimen of internal cleaning for the next few years to remove what can be removed.

Rotella T dino (white jug) will scrub what can be removed out of the engine.  If Rotella won't move it, don't worry about it as it is bonded too well to worry about.  He will do a lot of oil changes, so go dino as it will get dirty right quick.

Some year engines were painted inside the case with same dark color used on outside of case.  Savage Rob had one of these and it always looked "crapped out" in every pic he took.  

I take it this isn't a painted case, that this is build up of "substance X" on all internal surfaces?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 10/16/09 at 07:00:14

I'm with Oldfeller on the possability of an oil additive being used on the engine. I've used oil with graphite in engines and have seen a black coating inside the crankcase which was tough to get off. I even tried a copper/molly based additive that was suposed to build up a layer on worn journals. The stuff seemed to work, too bad I only bought one 8 oz bottle. I'd bet the black cam journals are from an additive, the copper based one I used plated all the journals with a thin layer of copper which seemed to bond to the metal. Kinda cool stuff, whish I could remember it's name, got CRS. Angry Angry Luck with the project

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/16/09 at 07:35:22

Is the inside of the timing cover covered with this baked on sludge? If so, if you took it & dropped it in a pan of Rotella & brought it up to temp & agitated to simulate vibration, maybe you could see kinda what %age of the internally cooked on crap should let go? Maybe? I'd expect that the oil passages higher up, nearer to the heat of the combustion, will be more solidly caked, or, maybe the crap "sets up" in the cooler parts? IDK, just thinking out loud here, hoping to help a little..
My neighbor was down yesterday w/ his old Dodge P/U, nearly 300,000 miles, oil blowing around under the hood, looks like valve cover leaks, but as we added oil I noticed the underside of the oil fill cap..Looked like someone dumped oil on a dirt clod, man, the inside of that engine must be a real mess.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/16/09 at 07:39:27

Ed L. wrote on 10/16/09 at 07:00:14:
I'm with Oldfeller on the possability of an oil additive being used on the engine. I've used oil with graphite in engines and have seen a black coating inside the crankcase which was tough to get off. I even tried a copper/molly based additive that was suposed to build up a layer on worn journals. The stuff seemed to work, too bad I only bought one 8 oz bottle. I'd bet the black cam journals are from an additive, the copper based one I used plated all the journals with a thin layer of copper which seemed to bond to the metal. Kinda cool stuff, whish I could remember it's name, got CRS. Angry Angry Luck with the project

Hey, Ed, any of these look familiar?

#
Nanometer copper lubricating oil additive. (New Products).(Wuhan ...
Nanometer copper lubricating oil additive. (New Products).(Wuhan Boda Science an - Nanometer copper lubricating oil additive developed by the Technology ...
www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-91140203.html - Cached - Similar
#
Nanometer copper lubricating oil additive. (New Products).(Wuhan ...
Nanometer copper lubricating oil additive. (New Products).(Wuhan Boda Science and Technology Group)(Brief Article) ... find China Chemical Reporter articles ...
www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-91140203.html - Cached - Similar
#
Preparation of nano-copper as lubrication oil additive
Abstract: Nano-copper used as lubrication oil additive has good ... Key words: hanG-copper; lubrication oil additive; reduction in liquid phase; dispersion ...
www.springerlink.com/index/M21277790717T441.pdf - Similar
by X Wang - 2005 - Cited by 5 - Related articles
#
Copper complexes of oxazolines and lactone oxazolines as ...
The use of oil soluble organic copper compounds in lubricating oil compositions is a relatively recent development of oil additive technology and the ...
www.freepatentsonline.com/4486326.html - Similar
by A Gutierrez - 1984 - Cited by 3 - Related articles
#
Oil Chek > Metals
Calcium, Detergent oil additive, NA, Detergent oil additive. Chrome, Piston Rings, Gear, NA. Copper, Bearings, Bushings, Thrust Washers, Oil Cooler, ...
www.usoilcheck.com/oilchek/services/used+oil.../metals.asp - Cached - Similar
#
Which liquid copper additive works best? - WebAnswers.com
Tankguard fuel oil additive This additive, for above-ground fuel oil tanks of ... Where can i get a 1lb spool of .035 copper wire to weld a copper cooker? ...
www.webanswers.com/.../which-liquid-copper-additive-works-best-1cee8c - Cached - Similar
#
Tribological performance of 2-mercaptobenzothiazole derivatives as ...
The compounds MBTT and MBTA have low-copper corrosive properties and high-thermal stability as lubricating oil additives. ...
www.emeraldinsight.com/Insight/ViewContentServlet?.../pdf/... - Similar
by H Wu - 2008 - Related articles - All 3 versions
#
Antioxidant properties of engine oil detergent additives
detergent, additives, antioxidant, copper, oil-soluble, ageing, depletion .... gent additives in the presence of copper spiral (15 h). Oil, additive ...
doi.wiley.com/10.1002/ls.3010090103 - Similar

Ran

oil additive copper
Thru the search.

Didnt try copper oil additive, might be different results.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 10/16/09 at 07:50:03

verslagen1 wrote on 10/15/09 at 22:04:23:
I took on a project
A very leaky engine (very is an understatement)
He used something that looks like Indian Head sealer for the head, clutch and stator cover.
Didn't work.
3 sessions with the pressure washer and the engine looks clean but I still finding knooks and crannies with gunk.
Now for the bad part, took off the clutch cover and there's drips of sealer all inside.  And it looks like the clutch sucked it up and the cork is al   Il black.  
Clean the clutch or toss it to the dog?

Got the head cover off, and I'm a little concerned with the cam.  The cam journals in the head look ok, polished, a little wear.  But the cam is black at the bearings.  When I messed with the other heads, the bearings were bright.
Wassup wit dat?

I would take a toothbrush and brush some SeaFoam on it and see what happens

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #8 - 10/16/09 at 11:28:43

idk if this works on the engine, but theres this stuff called Grease or Greased Lightning.

Its cheap, gallon is a few bucks, and does a better job then other degreasers i have used, which not many...

after i started using this stuff, i use way less of the rough green sponges.

Maybe saturate, let sit, blast away with high pressure water?

Matt

also works well on hot headers with crap, use that and a popcicle stick, good to go.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/21/09 at 22:54:58

Now that I got the outside of the engine clean, I'm working on the inside.
I found that acetone dissolves this crap.  So that and a toothbrush I've gotten the insides of the side covers clean.

You guys know if acetone harms any thing in the engine?

It seems whatever he used as a sealant dissolves in oil.  Stick to the tried and true my friends, I may have to split the case to get this clean yet.
I think the clutch is toast the way this gunk sticks to everything.
Next step is to clean the head cover, then I'll put in new gaskets, seal it up put in OF cleaning oil and Bill's fixall... Rotella and seafoam.

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 10/22/09 at 18:12:30

"You guys know if acetone harms any thing in the engine?"

Keep it away from rubber, plastic and painted parts, other than that excellant solvent on metal parts. Try not to huff it too much.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 10/22/09 at 18:36:49

verslagen1 wrote on 10/21/09 at 22:54:58:
I found that acetone dissolves this crap.  So that and a toothbrush I've gotten the insides of the side covers clean.

It seems whatever he used as a sealant dissolves in oil.  Stick to the tried and true my friends, I may have to split the case to get this clean yet.
Next step is to clean the head cover, then I'll put in new gaskets, seal it up put in OF cleaning oil and Bill's fixall... Rotella and seafoam.

any high volitile quick to evaparate solvent wont hurt metal..
your health,plastics,rubber compounds,wire(conductor) coverings
are another story..paint thinner is less caustic to you and your skin but laquer thinner is faster..we use denatured alachol for alot of our paining clean up..remember the red wash tubs in auto repair shops that had a recycling sump of some kind of solvent? safe T clean??

always read the warning label and adhear to the saftey percautions..
and NEVER drink beer!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 10/23/09 at 03:47:27

verslagen1 wrote on 10/21/09 at 22:54:58:

Hmmmmmmm....  I wonder if the guy used household latex chaulk to seal it.....     Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/23/09 at 17:28:25

I found that gas disolves it too.
This stuff looks like indian head shellac but doesn't harden.
even oil disolves it, least that's must of been why its all over the engine.

I'm going to put it back together w/o clutch, fill it with rotella and seafoam.  fire it up for awhile and drain it to see if it completely cleaned out.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/23/09 at 18:06:26

That SeaFoam should do the trick.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:30:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do I deal with crap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.