Send Topic Print
Head Gasket (Read 143 times)
desithug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head Gasket
10/15/09 at 07:24:57

I am pretty sure the head gasket in my bike is bad and this is causing it to leak. Two things are noticeable that gives me this idea. Firstly everytime I ride it for around 15-20 minutes or so there is an obvious oil leak on the left side below where where the gasket is supposed to be. Secondly my spark plug was completely black  with a thin fluid film a few days back and hence there were starting issues, once I changed the spark plug it was running again. However the spark plug looks more like an effect rather than the cause.
I was wondering how difficult it would be do such a replacement for someone who has never taken apart an engine and without having a garage ( I do all my maintenance stuff outside when the days are nice). Also since there were so many people from NC could they suggest a good mechanic maybe in the Durham-Chapel Hill area.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Head Gasket
Reply #1 - 10/15/09 at 08:36:02

If inexperienced, you might find it something of a challenge.  Get a Clymer's manual and/or a factory service manual, read the procedure as a walk-through, and if it's something you want to tackle, just do it.  It is highly recommended that the engine be removed from the frame, but I say be sure and loosen the head nuts first.

If you run into problems, I'm close enough to maybe make a trip over to assist.  DISCLAIMER:  "I am not a mechanic, but I play one on weekends."   Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/15/09 at 08:45:30

I think you may be doing more than you think.
I assume you mean the gasket between the head and cylinder.  Not unusual if the heads bolts weren't retorqued.
What is concerning me is the wet plug.  Could be a bad set of rings or valve seals.

WWW   IP Logged
desithug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/15/09 at 10:33:38

Well actually I am thinking of taking it to a mechanic anyways. I havent really got it checked out since I got it, and this is my first bike. Any idea how much something like should cost labor wise?
Again if anyone knows of any mechanics around Durham Chapel Hill area, could they please let me know?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/15/09 at 12:32:50

Usually that oil under the head on the left side is form the rubber plug in the head above the exhaust port.
Its a $100 problem not a $500 head gasket.
Its common on a lot of savages, with the 80's bikes worse than newer ones.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/16/09 at 04:03:37

Its really rare its the head gasket. Its usually the plug. The shop will Gladly fix the plug & charge you for a head gasket. You need to mark that thing very discretely so youll KNOW if its the same head gasket that comes home.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
desithug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/16/09 at 08:01:18

thanks guys...possibly go get it done over the weekend

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 10/16/09 at 08:23:13

Well JOG - it would be good if they charged you for the head gasket but fixed the plug, that would fix the problem.
If they charge you for the head gasket and fix the head gasket, I would really hate that, its gonna start leaking right even in the parking lot.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - 10/17/09 at 12:12:36

Let's clear up some confusion. (Maybe mine) I have a leak around the cylinder head plug which is on the right side, to the rear of the exhaust header. He's saying his is on the left side? Desithug, how far down from the top is the oil, 2 in. or 5 in.? The head gasket is between the big fins on top and the smaller fins below that. That is down about 5 in. The head cover, which disects the head plug (top side) does not have a gasket and uses a sealant. This is down about 2 in.  Undecided

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 10/18/09 at 11:17:17

Oldnewguy wrote on 10/17/09 at 12:12:36:
Let's clear up some confusion. (Maybe mine) I have a leak around the cylinder head plug which is on the right side, to the rear of the exhaust header. He's saying his is on the left side? Desithug, how far down from the top is the oil, 2 in. or 5 in.? The head gasket is between the big fins on top and the smaller fins below that. That is down about 5 in. The head cover, which disects the head plug (top side) does not have a gasket and uses a sealant. This is down about 2 in.  Undecided

The head plug leak will manifest itself as oil on the left side for two reasons.  

First, when parked, the bike leans that way.  

Second and not so obvious,  there is an air passage that goes from the opening at the head plug, in and around to the sparkplug.  So, on bad leaks,  riding down the road will blow oil over the plug and start dripping out the left side.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #10 - 10/18/09 at 11:35:54

Ah Ha! Man I thought I was riding backwards!  Grin

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #11 - 10/18/09 at 11:45:01

I think I just bought a muffler from you?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:15:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.