Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil Advise
Reply #60 - 10/18/09 at 06:57:31

Voldi, his point with the Rotella syn was that he was jacking his oil change interval up from 5,000 miles to something a lot higher and his mates chided him for excessive build up of minerals in his oil analysis (air borne dust and dirt).

Our bikes don't have good enough air filtration and we lack the bypass oil filtration to really utilize the full mileage potential of Rotella Synthetic (which could be as high as 15,000-20,000 miles on a motorcycle).  So he went back to plain old dino Rotella as he was getting 5,000 miles per change on white jug dino Rotella T and it was a lot cheaper for him to change out.

So, the guy with all the 210,000 motorcycle miles finally concludes that he can buy the cheapest diesel oil (CJ-4 rating) that he can find and still keep on racking up the miles .... hey, he has the miles to have the opinion and I don't dispute his feelings.   Diesel oil is good stuff.

Why do I use Rotella Syn?   My Savage is an air cooled engine that can get into extreme overheating scenarios and get way way hot -- so I like the extreme overheat resistance of the Syn oils.  Plus it "warms up" instantly in the winter
(no warm up lag at all) and I find I like that.

Plus I'm a wicker, and I do like the revvability of the engine when using the stuff.   It makes as much difference in performance as unstopping the air intake system did, which says a lot for the oil actually making a positive change in your riding.

(and yes, I expect folks to call me on this statement if they don't find a similar experience after the first two (2) crankcases of the new Rotella Syn T6 oil -- as the first one will clean all the crap out of your engine and scare you to death because it got all nasty in such a hurry -- all the detergents and soot dispersants will flat give your engine an enema during that first oil change)

Plus I am interested in the wear characteristics of this syn oil vs a known very good dino version of the same oil that was good for 210,000 miles.  You got comparative data on rings, bore and other motor parts referred to here ...  (you want to let your rings & bore wall break in before going to the stuff -- or they never will apparently)

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iw...

============

I wouldn't put diesel oil in any catalytic converter equipped car that is relatively new or that is EVER going to get any form of emissions control testing.   ZDDP will kill any new 2nd generation catalytic converter and all modern cars have them as standard equipment.

Conversely, I have a 20 year old car that I do put the stuff in as my catalytic converter has been shot for over a decade and my 1990 vehicle is not subject to EPA exhaust pipe tests (grandfathered).

============

And yes Bill, we know it hurts.  

At least I'm not twisting the knife or doing any of the mean stuff Verslagen or Justin do to you when you lost an oil war.

Actually, I feel sorta bad setting you up like that  ....

(fish in a barrel and all)

But it is good to see you "never say die" no matter how bad it gets.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #61 - 10/18/09 at 07:46:29

I use a Sprctro Golden 4 semi-synthetic SAE 10W40 motorcycle engine lubricant that I change every 1500 miles.

Question is; should I change the oil just before winter storage (six months of winter here) or just before the first ride of the spring?

Or does it matter eaither way.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 10/18/09 at 08:03:33

Change it before storage -- why give the crankcase acids 6 months to chew on stuff just sitting there in storage?   Let it sit in clean oil instead.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #63 - 10/18/09 at 08:15:48

That the Shell Rotella now bears a JASO certification does not mean Shell sells it as a motorcycle oil. Note that it says JASO DH-2, not JASO MA. I am betting that is a Diesel certification. MA is the motorcycle specification, and there is also an MB. Suzuki calls for JASO MA.

It has been said (but I don't remember where) that Shell has performed the JASO MA tests on their Rotella, and the oil met the requirements. But it is also said that Shell chose not to pay JASO for the required testing and certification. So the oil does not bear JASO MA on its label, just as many private-label oils say something like "Meets the requirements of API Sx" but do not bear the API seal because of the expense of the certification.

« Last Edit: 10/18/09 at 10:09:16 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #64 - 10/18/09 at 08:23:02

The longest I let oil sit in a motorcycle was 20 years,the bike was driven 5 miles a year the  last 10 years of that 20,I sold the bike with 28000 miles on it and the last I heard the new owner had put another 10000 miles on it and it was still running good.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 10/18/09 at 08:38:44

Charon is right in saying it is a diesel spec, here is some data on the new JASO spec referred to on the bottle.

http://www.komatsu.com/CompanyInfo/press/2002062413465601149.html

the oil war continues .....  third down and one yard to go

(go Bill go,, go Bill go  --- Yeah Bill !!)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 10/18/09 at 08:47:13

And for those who didn't bother to click on the link given earlier in this endless oil war .....

Daniel,

First, let me assure you - there has not been any significant change
in the Shell Rotella T Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40 - although you will
begin seeing it as Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40 in the
near future. It still is (and will be) a diesel engine oil (as
signified by the API C-series specification listings), and still does
(and will) meet the requirements of JASO MA. It also still (and
will) carry the API S-series recommendations for gasoline engines.

However, I do want to address one thing you mentioned. There really
are no API specifications for 4-cycle motorcycle engine oils.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Lubricants!

Regards,
Edward A. Calcote
Staff Chemist
Shell Lubricants US Technical Information Center

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #67 - 10/18/09 at 08:58:38

charon, look again... "JASO DH-2, MA" I don't know about you, but I think it means it meets 2 JASO spec's.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 10/18/09 at 09:07:50

"So, the guy with all the 210,000 motorcycle miles (Yamaha FJR) finally concludes that he can buy the cheapest diesel oil (CJ-4 rating) that he can find and still keep on racking up the miles .... hey, he has the miles to have the opinion and I don't dispute his feelings."

This comparison is invalid.  You cannot accurately compare oil tests done in other differently designed engines with the Suzuki engine, anymore than you can compare tests done between an old Ford design with a newer Honda.  For example, using the same oil and interval changes, the total accumulated mileage on a Honda car engine will be dramatically different than what you will get on an differently designed Ford engine.  The Yamaha FJR 4 cylinder engine is nothing like the Suzuki Savage 1 cylinder engine.

Quote from site member  Serenity3743:

"I used SUZUKI dino MOTORCYCLE OIL, 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer.  Changed oil and filter religiously every 3,000 miles.  Never even looked at the cam chain and adjuster till I topped 50 THOUSAND MILES..  Don't know if it was blind luck, but I can't help thinking the frequency of oil changes contributed, as well as using the factory recommended oil.  I'm experimenting now with synthetics, however

Its your bike and your decision.  Do you want to be cheap and use a Diesel Oil that has not been long term tested in your Savage, or do you want to go with a known winner, a Motorcycle Oil recommended by the engineers who designed and built your bike?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #69 - 10/18/09 at 09:53:29

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/18/09 at 08:38:44:
(go Bill go,, go Bill go  --- Yeah Bill !!)

LOL  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_8WWWiHZNc

Man I wish Shell made a xW-50 Rotella.  Hopefully I can get rid of the whole gallon before I'm back to burning-hell Texas heat.  Otherwise it's going in my wife's Camry.. hope it won't foul the catalytic converter.  Embarrassed

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #70 - 10/18/09 at 09:57:51

I stand corrected. I overlooked the "MA." Mea culpa.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #71 - 10/18/09 at 10:01:40

Now Gort, don't squirm on the knife like that.  Follow Charon's example, when he's hit he says "Touche" and bleeds quietly.

I know its all confusing.

A Yammie FJR is a different animal, 140 horsepower engine vs our 30 hp engine, etc etc.  But you demanded motorcycle miles, so we gave you motorcycle miles.

Lots and lots and lots of miles.

You want Suzuki?  Let's see .....

how about this guy?   (just click on it)

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/n2wheelies/first%20summit%2006/?action...

He has some words to say about how he abuses his engine for 65,000 miles combined with some 500 odd documented passes down the drag strip and then he has the gall to take his engine apart and measure things ...  shocking what people will do to a motorcycle engine, isn't it?

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #72 - 10/18/09 at 10:08:38

Thats a Shell forum Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #73 - 10/18/09 at 10:19:38

Yeah, and it was a Shell chemist earlier too.  And a Shell bottle label.

But the drag bike owner isn't Shell nor was the drag strip he liked to run it on.  Facts is facts, whether you like them or not is a different story.  I always take facts and deal with them.   Fact is, after all of that he still has hone marks on his cylinders and hobbing marks on his gears.  That's darn little wear on a 65,000 mile engine (never mind how he liked to amuse himself at the drag strip).

Wiggle wiggle wiggle .....

You would think worms going on a hook have nothing on these guys, would you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #74 - 10/18/09 at 10:48:14

I vote we let Bill alone. His mind is made up - Klotz is the only acceptable oil for him. Nothing we say is going to change his mind.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 23:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Advise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.