MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Oil Advise
Reply #45 - 10/16/09 at 10:02:25

Hi Serenity

Is there any chance the chain on your bike had been changed befor you got it?  The first time I looked at mine (18k)  the adjuster was allready apart and the chain was flapping.  I felt lucky it didn't jump time and tear-up a lot of stuff.

I''m both amazed and glad for you that yours lasted so long.  If we ever meet at the same ride sometime I'd be pleased to fall-in behind and let you lead so I can see how ya do it.

I've had the piston out of mine twice now just checking for wear and scraping carbon it's such a easy machine to deal with I think of it as LEGO blocks for big boys.

I hope your having a blessed day

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #46 - 10/16/09 at 10:28:51

MMR, I got the bike when it was a year old with 600 miles on it.  So, nope, I'm pretty sure it was the original chain.  I guess I am a somewhat conservative rider, but I do wind it out every now and then.  I often drive 75 on the superslab, but I like it better 60 -65.  Best fuel efficiency seems to 55 and under.  I think regular maintenance and TLC contribute the most to longevity. Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 10/16/09 at 19:02:32

See, one is a tinkerer and a wicker, who takes his engine apart periodically just to see what's cooking.  The other is a gentler rider that believes in changing his oil religiously.

Completely different worlds -- quit getting all tied up trying to equate the two or pass judgment from one world to another.  All that sort of stuff does is confuse the young list members who are trying to make sense of this discussion.

And hey, if you don't like reading these oil discussions, then just stop  reading them.  Go buy yourself some good old miscellaneous car oil and put it in your Savage and learn that way.

But you won't, will you?

You'll quietly read the labels and analysis of your favorite motorcycle oil brand and you will quietly make sure you get enough of the right additives in that oil.

Because now you do know better ...

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 10/16/09 at 19:08:44

Quote from site member  Serenity3743:

"I used SUZUKI dino MOTORCYCLE OIL, 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer.  Changed oil and filter religiously every 3,000 miles.  Never even looked at the cam chain and adjuster till I topped 50 THOUSAND MILES.  Don't know if it was blind luck, but I can't help thinking the frequency of oil changes contributed, as well as using the factory recommended oil.  I'm experimenting now with synthetics, however."

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #49 - 10/16/09 at 19:13:02

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/16/09 at 19:02:32:
See, one is a tinkerer and a wicker, who takes his engine apart periodically just to see what's cooking.  The other is a gentler rider that believes in changing his oil religiously.

Completely different worlds -- quit getting all tied up trying to equate the two or pass judgment from one world to another.  All that sort of stuff does is confuse the young list members who are trying to make sense of this discussion.

And hey, if you don't like reading these oil discussions, then just stop  reading them.  Go buy yourself some good old miscellaneous car oil and put it in your Savage and learn that way.

But you won't, will you?

You'll quietly read the labels and analysis of your favorite motorcycle oil brand and you will quietly make sure you get enough of the right additives in that oil.

Because now you do know better ...

Smiley

OF, I see you said motorcycle oil I'm proud of you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #50 - 10/16/09 at 22:03:28

yeeeeeehaaaaaa and let it rip!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 10/17/09 at 02:09:17

Yeah, that was for all you nervous nellies who won't ever admit you can get the same general additive packages in a white gallon jug for the same money you are paying per quart for that "feel good" motorcycle oil.

But it is more important that the chilluns don't use modern 10w40 energy star car oil and murder their clutches and valve trains ....

.... and if it takes them spending $15-$20 extra per oil change to feel better about it, well then we are in the Obama spending era are we not?

Hey, let's all be progressive together !!   Use that motorcycle oil !!

=============

While you are over there, step around the big floor display of the big white gallon jugs to get to the rack with the $10-$12 quart bottles.  Hey, what do you see over there in a quart bottle so the crotch rocket crowd can recognize it (all freshly repackaged).

Duh, it is motorcycle oil now.  Ain't that amazing.  You just pay more for it in quart bottles.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 10/17/09 at 07:56:23

There are no tests showing the long term effects of using Rotella Diesel Engine oil in a Suzuki Savage.  There is, however, one for Suzuki Motorcycle oil.  Your choice is to gamble, or go with a known winner.  Being cheap is not always the wisest choice:

Quote from site member  Serenity3743:

"I used SUZUKI dino MOTORCYCLE OIL, 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer.  Changed oil and filter religiously every 3,000 miles.  Never even looked at the cam chain and adjuster till I topped 50 THOUSAND MILES..  Don't know if it was blind luck, but I can't help thinking the frequency of oil changes contributed, as well as using the factory recommended oil.  I'm experimenting now with synthetics, however."

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #53 - 10/17/09 at 08:44:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/17/09 at 02:09:17:
While you are over there, step around the big floor display of the big white gallon jugs to get to the rack with the $10-$12 quart bottles.  Hey, what do you see over there in a quart bottle so the crotch rocket crowd can recognize it (all freshly repackaged) ... Duh, it is motorcycle oil now.  Ain't that amazing.  You just pay more for it in quart bottles.

Yeah I saw that the other day and bought a quart to top up a DRZ.  The label doesn't say anything about motorcycles though, and the quart didn't cost $10.

If they changed the label, we still wouldn't know if they changed the oil or not.  But hey, it meets the specs, so I bought it and <gasp> MIXED it with another oil. Furthermore, my engine didn't blow up. 5 miles and counting, folks.  

Take notes, kids!  CONCLUSION: Rotella works as a MIXABLE FILLER in a MOTARD -- WHOA!  Cheesy  

I win.  The oil debate is hereby settled. At least until the "Which is best?" guys start specifying for what.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 10/17/09 at 10:18:54

from the all new rotella t6

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #55 - 10/17/09 at 11:19:20

You get what you pay for.Thats pretty high priced for OF.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 10/18/09 at 00:50:37

I still buy mine in the big blue gallon jugs cheap at Walmart, but it does end the motorcycle oil vs Rotella debate as Rotella is now JASO labled and is officially a motorcycle oil.

It just amuses me that they just HAD to put it in a quart bottle and re-label it and charge more for it jest to get Bill to believe it.

Bill, Shell/Rotella loves you enough to do whatever it took to get you to come into the fold.    Wink

(But I still bet he buys Klotz as it costs $7.00 more a quart, has "mystery stuff" in it and he has to custom order it through the internet as nobody sells it locally.  Bill, buy his oil at Walmart?  Never!)

(here is the link to the full write up on the new look for Rotella Syn - they finally hired a marketing expert to toute their oil to its fullest capacity - expect large price increases shortly)

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iw...

As you read the words, realize that in advance of the words being written our list members had pegged this oil for causing our Savages to shift easier (4) rev freer (3) and give increased gas mileage (1).  So as you read the words, realize that it might just be for real.

All for $19 a gallon at Walmart ($4.75 a quart)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #57 - 10/18/09 at 04:03:56

And for those who won't believe anything except tracked mileage in a motorcycle engine ....

.... here are the folks who are actively tracking Rotella in a bike engine for over 210,000 miles in the same engine at an extended 4,500 to 5,000 mile drain interval (geeze, that's longer than I'd run a synthetic !!)

note they have oil wars too, and share your opinion about "endlessly repeated nonsense threads".   To them, the Rotella question has been a long settled thing, only brought up by some newbie dredging up misinformation out on the web somewhere.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122651

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 10/18/09 at 06:00:40

With respect to: "210,000 miles on my 04 FJR. 90% or so of those miles were using the Rotella conventional (non-syn) 15W-40. I started using the synthetic 5W-40 Rotella early on it's life for the purpose of extending the oil change interval, but Jestal set me straight on my flawed logic on that post haste. So it was back to the conventional 15W-40. Why pay more for the synthetic when the FJR will not take advantage of the benefits of synthetic oil?"

I interpret this to mean that the synthetic as a whole will break down at the same rate?  The additives and so on.  I figured I'd move to a standard interval with the synthetic, rather than changing every 1000 miles as I would with conventional.  

Off the point - will the additive package in the Rotella syn hurt modern cars?  Catalytic converter, I suppose is the concern.  I haven't decided what oil to use in my aveo, and was wondering about whether the Rotella syn would be good in my Ranger 4 cylinder.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #59 - 10/18/09 at 06:11:29

Mobile one is best for cars and Klotz with Hi Performance Techniplate is best for motorcycles,Klotz has had synthetic and only synthetic since 1969.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Advise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.