IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Oil Advise
Reply #31 - 10/15/09 at 08:14:40

MMRanch wrote on 10/14/09 at 19:39:08:
Two Quarts of Rotella and one pint of STP oil slickum (never a dry start.

33,000 miles and just started my third cam chain, no ring groove and just reseated the valves.
Rings and Bearnings look great.

here,sounds like great oil good for 15000 miles

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #32 - 10/15/09 at 09:24:31

I seem to remember reading that the active ingredient in STP Oil Treatment is a Viscosity Index Improver (VII). Seems to me the article said STP Oil Treatment, used as directed for cars (one can of STP in the four or five quarts of oil typical for a car engine) would cause the engine oil to rise about two grades in viscosity. That is, an SAE 30 would become about equivalent to an SAE 50. If true, it seems that using a can of STP in two quarts of oil would raise the viscosity even further. The article pointed out that it would be less expensive to just buy the higher viscosity oil in the first place. If the active ingredient in STP is really a VII, and if the shearing of VII molecules in the transmission gears is the reason a 10W-40 oil loses viscosity, then it would seem to me the VII in STP would fare no better. Mind you, I am just speculating...

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #33 - 10/15/09 at 09:34:38

bill67 wrote on 10/15/09 at 08:04:39:
  Look up above at MMRanch statement

Really? I don't see any REASON given for his tear down, just that nothing was wrong. I took the statement below to mean he tore it down while doing the cam chain just as a precaution and to take a look.

Quote:
Two Quarts of Rotella and one pint of STP oil slickum (never a dry start.

33,000 miles and just started my third cam chain, no ring groove and just reseated the valves.
Rings and Bearnings look great.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 10/15/09 at 09:40:41

Why does he have to do the cam chain if the oil is so good,people have driven the s40 50000 miles and never had to do the cam chain,thats the ones that have said it on here,I'm sure theres a lot of S40 owners that have never heard of this forum,and have over 50000 miles on S40s with out problems.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 10/15/09 at 09:54:12

What about those whose tensioners have dropped springs in the gears at 18,000 miles?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #36 - 10/15/09 at 10:55:57

bill67 wrote on 10/15/09 at 09:40:41:
 Why does he have to do the cam chain if the oil is so good,people have driven the s40 50000 miles and never had to do the cam chain,thats the ones that have said it on here,I'm sure theres a lot of S40 owners that have never heard of this forum,and have over 50000 miles on S40s with out problems.

So your theory is that all Cam Chain tensioner issues and Chain Stretch is due to the oil used, no other factors?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 10/15/09 at 11:37:48

Only one that I know of to get that mileage was serenity.
Didn't he use car dino oil?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 10/15/09 at 12:32:50

dinsdale wrote on 10/15/09 at 10:55:57:

So your theory is that all Cam Chain tensioner issues and Chain Stretch is due to the oil used, no other factors?

Yes use a NASO rated synthetic motorcycle oil, and it not a high rpm engine so you don't go to what would be a redline for this motor,You can tell the motor don't like high rpms.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #39 - 10/15/09 at 12:48:23

verslagen1 wrote on 10/15/09 at 11:37:48:

I used Suzuki dino motorcycle oil, 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer.  Changed oil and filter religiously every 3,000 miles.  Never even looked at the cam chain and adjuster till I topped 50K.  Don't know if it was blind luck, but I can't help thinking the frequency of oil changes contributed, as well as using the factory recommended oil.  I'm experimenting now with synthetics, however.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 10/15/09 at 13:19:23

So there you have it.  50,000 miles on Suzuki Oil with 3,000 mile filter changes.   This is the only long term test of an oil in the Savage that I've seen on this site.  No one elses experiences even come close.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #41 - 10/15/09 at 13:53:29

I don't see why picking an oil is such a big deal, once a few clarifications and near-universally agreeable assumptions are made:

1. The cost of oil per quart varies a lot, but put into the proper perspective (on a per-mile basis, or in comparison to the cost of other maintenance items, or the cost of digging into your engine and replacing expensive parts) oil is dirt cheap.  So if an oil is objectively shown to reduce wear at all, and the oil costs another $5/quart, buy it.  

2. You care about the engine and want it to last as long as possible.  You're not into comparing the amortized engine value vs. savings on cheaper oil, expecting to unload it just before it turns to dust. You're not about to sell the bike (and perhaps don't care how it holds up for the new owner).  In light of this, you can disregard statements like "I use brand X oil all the time and never had a problem" which are meaningless when you don't know how long the person keeps bikes, how they ride, climate, oil change interval, all that.

3. Synthetics are better than petroleum oils. They have a longer "shelf life" in the crankcase, stick to idle parts longer, maintain viscosity and film strength better. Pay the extra money for 100% synthetic.

4. The oil has to meet the manufacturer's specs. No "energy saving" clutch slipping agents, make sure it's API or JASO grade such-and-such.. follow the instructions in the owner's manual, duh.

5. You want an oil available in a viscosity appropriate to your riding climate and conditions. Hot weather and stop-and-go traffic is going to require a much thicker oil than a bike that does nothing but short trips in cold weather.

That's plenty of ammo right there for your process of elimination. Further thoughts that may help make a final choice:

You don't know the overall benefit of each additive package, so don't fret over it too much:  "Well, this one has plenty of ZDDP, but lacks the US Recommended Daily Allowance of sulfur, calcium, detergent, anti-foam, and moly disulfide.. Crap! Which is best?"

Additives are generally useless, unless for a specific purpose like trying to get seals to swell or flush out sludge.  I may just be bitter about being punk'd by Slick 50, but I still think it's safe to assume that oil producers know exactly what's in every one of those additives, and if they were really that great, would just be added to premium oils (through reverse engineering or license agreement) in the quest to win the "best oil" competition.

Take a lesson from Gort -- be skeptical and demanding of objective tests done by disinterested parties, and for God's sake ignore all tests done by the manufacturers themselves.

Or do the experiments yourself.  Since the cam chain seems to be the part most vulnerable to wear, a new one could be measured, run 15,000 miles on one oil, then measured again.  Do the same with an identical chain and different oil, and see which one "stretched" the most. If someone on this board ran that experiment, they may not have conquered the "which is best" debate, but they'd have the most credible A/B oil comparison ever put forth.  May I suggest Rotella and Klotz Tongue

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #42 - 10/15/09 at 14:28:29

Im a fan of short changing oil with cheap oil (what ever doesn't slip the clutch) when you first get the bike to 'clean' the engine out then dump it out after a few 100 miles to your preferred choice

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #43 - 10/15/09 at 14:32:12

serenity3743 wrote on 10/15/09 at 12:48:23:
verslagen1 wrote on 10/15/09 at 11:37:48:

I used Suzuki dino motorcycle oil, 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer.  Changed oil and filter religiously every 3,000 miles.  Never even looked at the cam chain and adjuster till I topped 50K.  Don't know if it was blind luck, but I can't help thinking the frequency of oil changes contributed, as well as using the factory recommended oil.  I'm experimenting now with synthetics, however.

This is good to know that the S40 has a pretty good motor with some care it will go 50000 miles with out a bunch of overhauls.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 10/15/09 at 14:44:16

Boule’tard wrote on 10/15/09 at 13:53:29:
I don't see why picking an oil is such a big deal, once a few clarifications and near-universally agreeable assumptions are made:

1. The cost of oil per quart varies a lot, but put into the proper perspective (on a per-mile basis, or in comparison to the cost of other maintenance items, or the cost of digging into your engine and replacing expensive parts) oil is dirt cheap.  So if an oil is objectively shown to reduce wear at all, and the oil costs another $5/quart, buy it.  

2. You care about the engine and want it to last as long as possible.  You're not into comparing the amortized engine value vs. savings on cheaper oil, expecting to unload it just before it turns to dust. You're not about to sell the bike (and perhaps don't care how it holds up for the new owner).  In light of this, you can disregard statements like "I use brand X oil all the time and never had a problem" which are meaningless when you don't know how long the person keeps bikes, how they ride, climate, oil change interval, all that.

3. Synthetics are better than petroleum oils. They have a longer "shelf life" in the crankcase, stick to idle parts longer, maintain viscosity and film strength better. Pay the extra money for 100% synthetic.

4. The oil has to meet the manufacturer's specs. No "energy saving" clutch slipping agents, make sure it's API or JASO grade such-and-such.. follow the instructions in the owner's manual, duh.

5. You want an oil available in a viscosity appropriate to your riding climate and conditions. Hot weather and stop-and-go traffic is going to require a much thicker oil than a bike that does nothing but short trips in cold weather.

That's plenty of ammo right there for your process of elimination. Further thoughts that may help make a final choice:

You don't know the overall benefit of each additive package, so don't fret over it too much:  "Well, this one has plenty of ZDDP, but lacks the US Recommended Daily Allowance of sulfur, calcium, detergent, anti-foam, and moly disulfide.. Crap! Which is best?"

Additives are generally useless, unless for a specific purpose like trying to get seals to swell or flush out sludge.  I may just be bitter about being punk'd by Slick 50, but I still think it's safe to assume that oil producers know exactly what's in every one of those additives, and if they were really that great, would just be added to premium oils (through reverse engineering or license agreement) in the quest to win the "best oil" competition.

Take a lesson from Gort -- be skeptical and demanding of objective tests done by disinterested parties, and for God's sake ignore all tests done by the manufacturers themselves.

Or do the experiments yourself.  Since the cam chain seems to be the part most vulnerable to wear, a new one could be measured, run 15,000 miles on one oil, then measured again.  Do the same with an identical chain and different oil, and see which one "stretched" the most. If someone on this board ran that experiment, they may not have conquered the "which is best" debate, but they'd have the most credible A/B oil comparison ever put forth.  May I suggest Rotella and Klotz Tongue

So very well said.  These oil argument threads have become ridiculous.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:17:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Advise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.