Send Topic Print
Oil Advise (Read 946 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Oil Advise
Reply #15 - 10/14/09 at 11:23:26

What page in the Suzuki Manuel does it say use oil with ZZZP in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 10/14/09 at 11:27:32

OF, you forgot to mention the tests Rotella did.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 10/14/09 at 13:20:54

Remember too that the ZDDP only comes into play when the oil film has broken down. It protects against metal-to-metal contact, and as long as the oil film is intact there is no metal-to-metal contact.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/14/09 at 13:38:11

bill67 wrote on 10/14/09 at 11:23:26:

If you're going to be a troll, at least get your acronyms right.  Otherwise you come off just looking like someone completely out to lunch.  

The manual isn't the key, the key is what the oil + additives is supposed to do.  Which is determined by the engine design.  The Suzuki manual gives only broad recommendations of Suzuki oil or an API SF or SG oil.  The ZDDP aspect comes from the old-school design of the engine, part of its primitive charm.  

Need to get a new game, Bill.  Or a better grasp of this old game.  

The Rotella Syn works great!  Initially I had it at the top of the allowable oil level.  It's now dead in the middle at 800 miles of hard riding.  I'll probably run a 2500 mile interval, or whenever the oil starts to feel less effective in shifting.  With the 15W40 Rotella I could tell a slight difference at 800 miles, and fresh Rotella clearly made a little difference in shifting.  That stuff really cleaned out the engine, too.  The first batch got pretty dirty, the second not nearly as much, and this synthetic is staying surprisingly clean.  I like it.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 10/14/09 at 14:19:07

voldigicam wrote on 10/14/09 at 13:38:11:
bill67 wrote on 10/14/09 at 11:23:26:

If you're going to be a troll, at least get your acronyms right.  Otherwise you come off just looking like someone completely out to lunch.  

The manual isn't the key, the key is what the oil + additives is supposed to do.  Which is determined by the engine design.  The Suzuki manual gives only broad recommendations of Suzuki oil or an API SF or SG oil.  The ZDDP aspect comes from the old-school design of the engine, part of its primitive charm.  

Need to get a new game, Bill.  Or a better grasp of this old game.  

The Rotella Syn works great!  Initially I had it at the top of the allowable oil level.  It's now dead in the middle at 800 miles of hard riding.  I'll probably run a 2500 mile interval, or whenever the oil starts to feel less effective in shifting.  With the 15W40 Rotella I could tell a slight difference at 800 miles, and fresh Rotella clearly made a little difference in shifting.  That stuff really cleaned out the engine, too.  The first batch got pretty dirty, the second not nearly as much, and this synthetic is staying surprisingly clean.  I like it.

Boy you really straighten me out Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 10/14/09 at 19:39:08

Two Quarts of Rotella and one pint of STP oil slickum (never a dry start.

33,000 miles and just started my third cam chain, no ring groove and just reseated the valves.
Rings and Bearnings look great.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 10/14/09 at 19:50:14

Charon wrote on 10/14/09 at 13:20:54:
Remember too that the ZDDP only comes into play when the oil film has broken down. It protects against metal-to-metal contact, and as long as the oil film is intact there is no metal-to-metal contact.

Charon is correct, ZDDP is an extreme pressure additive that puts an impervious surface layer on steel that will resist galling and abrasion when an oil film breaks down.  Momentarily, anyway.

Where does this oil film breakdown happen in a Savage?  Cam lobes and tappets, pin/plate junctions in the cam chain, cam journals in the head, flank surfaces of the highly loaded gear teeth, skirt of the piston rubbing the cylinder wall -- in short all the locations that extreme wear and galling damage shows up in our engines.

Will the ZDDP layer protect an engine in case of a lag in oil pressure at start up (zero oil pressure) or a momentary oil film loss during full speed running?  Yep, a ZDDP film will protect a smooth steel surface for a minute or so until it is worn away.  Generally you get oil pressure in less than 10 seconds after start up so this is a moot point if you have a ZDDP containing oil.  Remember, the ZDDP surface layer gets refurbished by the oil and quickly gets back up to its normal microscopic thickness in time to withstand the next assault.  

Protracted high speed abuse will go thru the oil film and thru the ZDDP layer inside 2 minutes and start causing wear and damage (if you think you need extreme temperature protection, please consider a Syn oil with extreme protection levels).  I go this route as I am a confirmed "wicker".

Why is ZDDP so important that the high performance engine world has howled at its removal or dilution to less than 10 PPM levels?

Because unless a motor was redesigned to use modern oils (with extreme pressure additives removed to keep from killing catalytic converters) it HAS to have ZDDP to live a full life.  Most older designed engines were developed and tested using motor oils with over 10 PPM of ZDDP in them -- engines that had some "heavily loaded" design spots in them that were carried along by the ZDDP film provided by old additive rich oils so the designers never saw any test or wear issues with the design -- until EPA regs took the ZDDP out of the oil and the galling and rapid wear reports started at the hot spots.  Old design engines are dying because of "bad oil".

Our Savage engine have these hot spots in it -- we are an old design engine and we must have our ZDDP or we get galling and relatively rapid wear in these areas when our oil films break down due to heavy loads or high temperatures (or both).

Remember, we have an air cooled engine with ZDDP hot spots in it and an oil pump that is "just enough" to do the job with the old type oils.

Should our members be using modern "ordinary car oils" that have been neutered by the EPA in their Savages?

No -- they should use either a motorcycle specific oil or one of the known good diesel truck oils that all have the necessary ZDDP additive packages combined with an oil weight and a high temperature rating sufficient for your area.

Now, Florida temperatures do not require a 20w50 oil, a 10w40 carries a temp rating sufficient for Florida or Texas.  However a 20w50 oil is good for that summer range, it just isn't user friendly for a colder climate in winter.  Florida doesn't have cold winters, so that 20w50 is fine for Florida year round.

I will submit that a 15w40 diesel oil like Rotella T meets use specs for our bikes anywhere in the USA at the lowest cost to the user.  Meets it, giving up nothing to the much more expensive motorcycle oils costing over $10 a quart.  

Rotella T triple protection in the white jug at $11 a gallon at Walmart, someplace we all can find it easily and cheaply.

Or if you want an extreme temperature synthetic oil, Rotella Syn in the blue jug for $19.00 a gallon.  This oil is currently being "warred" as the best oil for our bikes based on list member usage and actual use reports.  So far the ones using it seem to like it for concrete reasons that they are discovering and reporting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #22 - 10/14/09 at 23:25:56

I read most of the recent Oil posts.

(Oil changed by dealer when I bought at 140miles)  Changed my oil at 500 miles (it was black!) and added a magnet oil plug.  I chose a Super-duty 15w-40 Diesel CJ-4 approved blend from Wal-mart at $12 for 5 quarts.    I believe CJ-4 blend has all the ZDDP and goodies motorcycles love?

I'm still breaking in my bike at 700 miles with it.  I intend to do another oil change at 1000 miles.  Maybe a half and half with Rotella blue tbh.  It's cheap too.

I have read between the lines elsewhere, and here, that Synthetic oil is BAD for break in oil.... first 1000?....3000?  When to switch to synthetic,,,,if ever?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 10/14/09 at 23:43:36

Break in is over by 600 miles according to most sources.  You could switch over to synthetic any time after 1000 and feel totally safe in doing so.

No point in doing a mix of oils.  I'd feel more comfortable running a "consistent" single oil so as to have the same packages working together as the manufacturer intended them to work.

Example:  you are using brand A and brand B to make your mix.  They use different packages to achieve the same desired effect, but in each case the package must be at a certain PPM to be effective.  Since you are running a 50-50 mix neither of the different packages is anywhere near an effective PPM, so in essence you get no protection at all because you mixed them and thinned both out way too far.

Better to pick a product with known good packages and stick with it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #24 - 10/14/09 at 23:56:33

hmm, that is a darn good point OF, mixing oil, I didn't think of it that way as I assume most oils are a mix of each other anyway.  

ie I return my used motor oil for recycle, and the oil company filters it and sells it back to me at a lesser weight.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 10/15/09 at 02:39:37

MMRanch wrote on 10/14/09 at 19:39:08:
Two Quarts of Rotella and one pint of STP oil slickum (never a dry start.

33,000 miles and just started my third cam chain, no ring groove and just reseated the valves.
Rings and Bearnings look great.

Sounds like if you use Rotella oil you need to tear down the engine every 15000 miles,that doesn't sound to hot to me,Theres been people on here with 50000 mile and engine never been apart.Of course they didn't know about Rotella in the green bottle. With ZZZP in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #26 - 10/15/09 at 06:17:10

On mixing oils. Many years ago - in the Sixties - a guy named Smokey Yunick used to write a column for one or other of the magazines of the day, perhaps POPULAR MECHANICS. He was asked what happens if one should mix oils. Paraphrased, his answer ran something like:

"The US Army runs one of the biggest fleets of motor vehicles in the world. They buy a LOT of oil. They require that the oil meet their specifications, MILSPEC. One of the first requirements in the MILSPEC is that any oil must mix with any other oil in any proportions without ill effects. All oil makers know this. All oil makers want to sell to the Army, so they blend their oils to meet the MILSPEC. In other words, if you mix oils, nothing bad will happen. The obvious reason for this requirement is so the mechanic doesn't have to worry about what oil the last motor pool put into the machine."

He went on to add that if you mix grades of oil, such as SAE 30 and SAE 40, you get something in between. But because of the way oil viscosity is measured, a half-and-half mix of SAE 20 and SAE 40 will not be equivalent to SAE 30.

I do not know if the armed forces still use the MILSPEC. But I would bet they still have the same requirement under whatever the current name might be, even with the current move to all Diesel power.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/15/09 at 06:22:14

Bill, where you been boy?  I keep forgetting you are a relative newbie to the list and really don't know the list problem history very well.

Verslagen & company still recommend you take your side cover off and look at your cam chain and tensioner every 15,000 miles.   Considering the damage that you can get if you don't catch it before it fails this is simply good sense.

Remember, the Verslavy cam chain tensioner trick didn't even exist 2-3 years ago -- people replaced their cam chains back then because they had no other option.  Ask Justin or the other old timers who have had multiple cam chains in their bikes.  Heck, Justin is lucky he had saved his old cam chain as he now plans to put it back in eventually as it is only "half used up" when you are using all the Verslavy mod tricks.

Also, most of our bikes were bought used -- and we don't know what the previous owners used for oils or what those oils had in them.  In some cases those bikes had wear and damage because of previous neglect.

===============

Speaking of wear and damage, some of us use our bikes harder than most.  Having ridden the Dragon with MMRanch, he falls in that category as he uses his bike to the max all the time.  Verslagen is another hard user.  For folks like this, that is good cam chain durability.  

Verslagen tracks cam chain life on a listing he maintains.  He has a few documented failures under 10,000 miles and a few over 30,000 miles.  By educating people about oil we hope to decrease the number of infantile failures his list is seeing.

Now, something that HAS improved since we started fighting each oil war out (and educating each new crop of newbies) -- we have had very few "slipper clutches" in the last year or so.   Folks sticking car oils in their Savages were fouling their plates with the energy starburst additives and killing their clutches right frequently back then, but since oil war education has started that has dropped off quite a bit.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 10/15/09 at 06:31:57

I'm not worry about cam chains or any thing else,Its way cheaper in the long run to paid more for the best oil,Than use a cheap oil and have to tear your engine apart,I've had a lot a motorcycles in the 38 years I've been riding,and they all have held up by using  the best high priced motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #29 - 10/15/09 at 07:38:31

bill67 wrote on 10/15/09 at 06:31:57:
  I'm not worry about cam chains or any thing else,Its way cheaper in the long run to paid more for the best oil,Than use a cheap oil and have to tear your engine apart,I've had a lot a motorcycles in the 38 years I've been riding,and they all have held up by using  the best high priced motorcycle oil.

Where do you get the idea that using Rotella, as you are inferring, causes people to have to tear their engines apart?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:20:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Advise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.