Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Oil Advise (Read 946 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Oil Advise
10/13/09 at 18:14:30

Hello Everyone!

This will be my first time changing my oil, I have read the post in the tech section on the process.  Now I need some advise on what Oil to purchase?

I'm in Florida and the temp is still HOTT!  Average high's this past month and currently is in the mid-90's so what oil would you guys recommend?  Can I use car oil from my local auto parts store or should I stick to motorcycle dealers oil?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Oil Advise
Reply #1 - 10/13/09 at 18:35:31

You have just opened a vortex to the oil debate. Do the search on oil. There are many opinions on this and you will have to draw your own conclusions. I use rotella 15-40. Good quality, right specs., and inexpensive.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/13/09 at 19:00:07

You have been a member since 06/08.  Surely you must have read the endless past and recent arguments and mud-slinging about which oil to use.  I suggest you get a gallon empty jug, and mix equal amounts of Mobil 1 V-Twin, Klotz, Amzoil, Suzuki's own brand, Rotella diesel oil, Red line oil, Castrol, Spectro, and Motul, all together.  Then you will have a mix that makes all the site's members happy, (unless I forgot a few favorites).

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/13/09 at 19:08:14

Gort:  LOL, Can you believe this will be my first attempt in changing my oil.  I did research older posts on OIL but did not quite find the answers to my question about running mostly in high heat temps.

Sorry guys to spark up a sensitive subject!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 10/13/09 at 19:10:19

Skid Mark wrote on 10/13/09 at 18:35:31:
You have just opened a vortex to the oil debate. Do the search on oil. There are many opinions on this and you will have to draw your own conclusions. I use rotella 15-40. Good quality, right specs., and inexpensive.

What are you taking about right specs Rotella doesn't meet JASO,Motorcycle oil has to be JASO oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/13/09 at 19:31:14

flcruzr wrote on 10/13/09 at 19:08:14:
Gort:  LOL, Can you believe this will be my first attempt in changing my oil.  I did research older posts on OIL but did not quite find the answers to my question about running mostly in high heat temps.

Sorry guys to spark up a sensitive subject!  

Didn't mean to offend.  Opinions about which oil to use vary widely, and many members have technical specs to back up what they say.
You won't get an opinion that is shared by the majority.  This argument has turned into a circus.  Here is the most recent fight over which oil is best:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1253906414/0

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/13/09 at 19:41:21

Gort, thanks for the link, I missed reading this thread.

IP Logged
FishHunt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/14/09 at 00:29:32

The previous owner of my Savage used 15w-40 Rotella. I plan on using Vavoline 10w-40 4-Stroke Motocycle Oil. http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-...

I would like to get some feedback from other members who have ran or still run this oil. What are the pros and cons of using this oil in the Savage engine.

P.S. If you are reading this and about to type a reply about how using pixie dust and brand X oil is the only way to properly lube a Savage please don't. I am just looking for feedback on the Vavoline oil.

<><Fish

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/14/09 at 03:03:06

It should be good its a motorcycle oil with JASO rating.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #9 - 10/14/09 at 05:59:48

looks good

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #10 - 10/14/09 at 06:15:57

Skid Mark wrote on 10/13/09 at 18:35:31:

I have to agree I use it and it works well in Texas.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 10/14/09 at 06:16:37

If I was using Valvoline, how would I evaluate it ? Maybe by telling you that it is great because the engine didn't spin no bearings yet, or the trans is shifting normally, or the cam is still lopsided,........and the clutch ain't slippin ? But the problem is, the oil I'm using, and every other major name brand name oil is going to have the same evaluation. (just believe it, ok !!)

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/14/09 at 06:23:52

If you used an oil and your motor went to pot in 100 miles,You can say it work good here in wisconsin no problems for 90 miles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/14/09 at 10:25:31

Bill is once again throwing out his banana peels of misinformation, intentionally tripping up the innocent newbie readers.

But that's what Bill does -- he knows he will provoke yet anther oil war which he will lose again, but he does love them so much he can't seem to help himself.

=============

Car oil is car oil, it is built for current car engines which have catalytic converters and roller tappet cams.

Why roller tappets?  Today's catalytic converter equipped car engines cannot have the old style effective anti-galling additive packages referred to as ZDDP which kept cam lobes and old style flat rocker tappets from getting indigestion.  So the modern pollution controlled engines have to have fancy anti friction roller tappets so they can survive without the additive package ZDDP.  Remember, ZDDP and catalytic converters do not get along.

Any modern car oil lacks the over 10 PPM of ZDDP that your Savage engine needs.   You don't have ZDDP watch your rocker arm flat tappets gall and "dish out" over time.   Watch your cam chain stretch and wear out prematurely.

=============

Two places to find ZDDP in concentrations over 10 PPM -- motorcycle oils at over $10 a quart or diesel truck oils at circa $11 a gallon at Wal Mart.

Do the math -- $10 a quart, or $10 a gallon ..... hmmm, let me see which one costs less.

=========================

Now here comes the oil war (and another 2 dozen banana peels from Bill about JASO ratings on bottles)

BTW, before Bill gets there with his banana peels

JASO is a Japanese rating system that is similar to ASME ratings that we are all familiar with.  The heart of the JASO tests are the wet clutch performance tests for motorcycles which many modern American car oils fail miserably because of energy star friction modifiers that are put in our car oils to help get better car gas mileage (while not harming our required catalytic converters).

Energy Star burst on the bottle -- poison for your clutch (remember this)

=============

What inexpensive gallon jug sized dino oil passes all the JASO clutch tests, HAS the ZDDP your Savage engine needs, does not have any clutch killing energy star additives and costs $11 a gallon at Walmart?  Which one has passed every oil war on every list and has a history of sucessfully passed oil analysis going back 5 plus years at Bobistheoilguy.com?

White jug Rotella Triple Protection diesel oil

This is the MOST POPULAR best respected motorcycle oil in America based on gallons bought and used.  If you don't think so, punch it into your browser along with the word motorcycle.  Watch the year dates on your discussions though, two years ago all of the Rotella oils got updated and retested to JASO because of an old issue with ash levels (which was fixed pushing two years ago because bikers are very vocal customers).

And it has a big brother in the blue jug for $19 a gallon at WalMart, the ever popular Rotella Synthetic with Extreme high temperature protection.  This is the stuff we are monitoring on list threads as more list members begin to use it as it has a tracking history of improving our shifting, allowing more free engine revving and <still controversial> improving our gas mileage.

(It also has two folks reporting increased oil usage, which is unfortunate but also is being reported)

============

So, where does this budding oil war go from here?

BTW, there is nothing wrong or lacking with your Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/14/09 at 10:38:55

This is exactly how the mudslinging begins.  One member insults another and then claims he didn't start the controversy.

To date there is no majority opinion about the best oil for the Savage on this site, and the site is hosting no comparison tests on various oils.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 23:27:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Advise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.