Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LED fuel gauge (for savage?) (Read 690 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: LED fuel gauge (for savage?)
Reply #15 - 10/24/09 at 12:46:57

qp wrote on 10/24/09 at 12:11:50:
The fuel gauge shown is a receiving unit, there needs to be a transmitter of some sort in the tank, and the Savage doesn't have one. Oh, besides the skull with teeth, you can have plain dome, HD emblem, Cross, Sixshooter, Flames and maybe one other. HD and Kuryakyn carry them.

I, too, am a marine engineer, and you can run a clear tube from the bottom of the tank to the top, it doesn't matter how long or what it's path is, you will get an accurate level reading, but really, do you want to carry gasoline outside of your tank? That will certainly raise the excitement level in case of a collision. (The top of the tube must return to the tank, a closed-end tube is nothing more than an air trap that will never give an accurate reading.) The best idea I've heard, besides replacing the tank with one containing a float, is a cap that has float-and-screw attached to its bottom so the float will sit in the gasoline. Wish I new where to find one.

View Details

Title        Replacement Gas Cap With Gauge for Toro wheel Horse 10-6945
Description        Replacement fuel cap for Toro / Wheelhorse tractors with gauge with cap Diameter of 2 1/4" and 7" deep tank
SKU        125-112
Mowtownusa Price        $14.99
Qty            
View Details

Title        Replacement Gas Cap With Gauge for John Deere am39206 & Exmark 513508
Description        Replacement fuel cap with gauge for John Deere Tractors with 2 1/4" diameter opening and 9" tank depth
SKU        125-120
Mowtownusa Price        $12.99
Qty            

http://www.mowtownusa.com/291.html

MOW Town,,, a lawnmower supply house,,,LMAO...

just search

lawn mower gas cap fuel gauge..plenty there.

Some happy modding & Viola! Oughta have a fuel gauge.
Id want a replacement gas cap, in case I screwed it up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 10/24/09 at 12:47:17

I just leave the cap off and put a fish bobber in there with a flag on top when the flag goes below the tank it time for gas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 10/24/09 at 12:51:44

I want Bill at my next party..Crazy SOB,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 10/24/09 at 12:57:34

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 10/24/09 at 12:59:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/24/09 at 12:51:44:
I want Bill at my next party..Crazy SOB,,

You should buy plenty of Kleenex's ....people will have many tears from laughter Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #20 - 10/25/09 at 10:01:59

i was so proud the other day, i was coming around a corner(ironic that was mentioned) and i felt her kinda stutter, i gave her a little gas and the mph dropped. so i reached under put her to res and kept going....i was so proud that i heard what she was saying this time ! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #21 - 10/27/09 at 07:58:48

If you put a hole in your tank opposite the Fuel cap to maintain symmetry, you might be able to use one of these if the tank is 20 cm deep or more. Anyone know the depth of the tank?

Quote:
The Tank-Check vertical spiral gauge is a mechanically operated liquid level gauge. The gauge is of rugged construction and is designed to be fitted onto the top surface of a tank with an 1 ½" BSPT (loose fit) thread. As it is a purely mechanical gauge and has no electrical input, it can be used in applications where flammable liquids such as petrol and diesel are present.

Tank-Check Fitting Flange1 1/2" BSP black acetyl fitting flange suitable for the Tank-Check range of universal mechanical senders. Supplied with 8 off stainless steel M5 x 20 button head screws and gasket. Allow 50mm above tank top for clearance, including the flange and gasket. Tek-Tanks keeps a range in stock from 200 - 600mm in 50mm increments. Custom lengths are available upon request

Diameter 86mm

Height 18mm

http://www.tek-tanks.com/senders_gauges/fuel.html

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #22 - 10/27/09 at 11:28:09

20 c = 7.87ins

The tank depth appears to be 7.25 ins max.  Embarrassed

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #23 - 10/27/09 at 11:32:36

BTW that link says that custom lengths are available. I was going to call them, but they are in the UK!  Embarrassed

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/28/09 at 17:57:35

"Yep, I always look in the tank before a ride and fill-up if it is more than a 1/4 low. Only once had to fill-up during a ride [not often we go more than 125 mi. on the isle!] "

Maui, in West Texas and here in AZ it's 125mi to the mailbox! Smiley

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #25 - 10/30/09 at 01:46:55

This came up awhile back, because this is gravity fed, it is basically a manometer.  It measures the top of a "column " of fluid from the carb needle up to the level in the tank. Would not need to put any holes in the tank. One could run a transparent line from a tee below the petc0ck up to the cap. And if one could come up w/ a check valve of some sort, it would not have to return to the cap, but the end must be higher than the cap like up the bar.
So no holes, same effect, does not need to be a large line either.It would defeat the vacuum shut off but only the small amount of fuel in the new tube might return to the carb so a shutoff below that might be considered. The stock vacuum shut off will prevent the level from equalizing when the motor is shutoff too. Until it is cranked again and then the level can equalize again. Still a fuel line would likely be to run up to the cap. If It were up by the fork, you couldn't see it very well, if you come up toward the back well you have a gas line betwix yo legs. Not sayin it is the best way but it would be a cheap way to see the gas level. Smiley

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #26 - 11/09/09 at 15:13:42

I talked to the nice folks at Tek-Tanks today: their gauge is 50 gbp + 40 gbp shipping, which converts to about $150. Ouch. Then add the $65/hr labor charge to install it professionally and that solution is approaching $250. Double ouch.

Most of the parts people at the lawnmower/ATV stores whom I approached seemed astonished that I could read and write and I often got that deer-in-the-headlights look. The John Deere dealer was enthusiastic about the idea, and while he did not have any appropriate parts he did have some good suggestions. Then I finally found one fellow in Salt Lake who said We can do this (Mower-Medic, South Jordan UT). He described how he would weld a mount to the tank and then securely fasten to it a gauge/cap. He asked me to bring in a list of caps (go to amazon) that might work and he will figure out the best solution. I'm thinking of the cap/gauge by Simplicity, 171152, because the 2008 savage tank is 8 inches deep.

I'll get started on this in a few weeks when the riding season is over and then I'll post the results.

YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #27 - 11/19/09 at 16:03:16

I spoke too soon, I should not have shot off my mouth. I finally found a local who has done this before, and while it will be a professional job, it will still run $250. I give up and will stick with the combo-lock and reserve valve.
:'(

---------
My Savage runs fine, it backfires normally.

Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED fuel gauge (for savage?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.