Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
timing chain tensioner guide (Read 76 times)
retired
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

timing chain tensioner guide
10/13/09 at 12:32:12

two weeks ago I picked up a 1987 ls650, it had been taken half apart for cleaning and painting back in 1990 one thing lead to another and it never got done. Been under cover in the corner of a barn for 20 years. looks nice.Cant start it yet. However Upon checking the chain tensioner it was at .859 Almost out. My Question is I found a old post on this forum from,Aeres Dated 12-31-69 describing how he bent the rear tensioner guide allowing it to take up more slack in the chain and the plunger ratcheted out to only 10mm. he stated that 2/3 of the plunger rack was still in the tensioner body due to this bend. I can not find a post as to how this held up, worked out. Does anyone Know? Looking to save a little money. Thanks

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: timing chain tensioner guide
Reply #1 - 10/13/09 at 12:43:05

gunna have to remove the head to remove the tensioner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/13/09 at 12:54:49

Time for a chain. At least.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 10/13/09 at 13:24:40

Has this forum been around since 1969? Huh

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/13/09 at 13:33:05

Yea, something like date 0 in unix is sometime in 1970, and there was one Idiot @ my previous work (Lowes home improvement) who set a server to date 0 ~3 days before memorial day.
Nice, everyone who opened a project for the 3 days till it was caught lost everythign when we pitched the "old" ones every night.
Lucky for those F^&kers I caught it - aka, not my job, but you're freaking environment is toast, oh look at that time, 5 pm. Bye suckers.
Then the peckerheads laid me off the a$$holes.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/13/09 at 13:44:32

I don't know about '69, but I know we discussed it a couple of years ago.
Take a look at the cam chain adjuster check in the tect section.  I link it in after a bit.

Now, my reccommodation... not with that old one.  Maybe to test before really doing it, but I wouldn't leave it in there.  There's a chance all that old plastic will strip off.  The old ones that I've got, the plastic is all cracked.  And normally, that section of the plastic doesn't wear at all.  So when you bend it there will be wear like what's on the curved section.  Not that I think that's a problem.  There's just no way to inspect the sump for floating bits of black plastic.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:21:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › timing chain tensioner guide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.