Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slipstreamer, Corbin, Forward Controls - worth it? (Read 294 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Slipstreamer, Corbin, Forward Controls - worth it?
10/12/09 at 17:48:23

My goal is to get a bike together than will be an efficient utility machine while allowing Ms. G and I to pop over to Robbinsville or do ultralight overnights as we see fit.  

I've been primarily examining other bikes, but they're all bigger, heavier, more expensive, or all of the above.  While they're better in some ways (e.g., the shifting on the Honda Shadow), the 650 Suzi looks very good.  But it would need mods.  So I'm thinking maybe we can modify Suzi to have a bit more protection, a bit more room, a bit more comfort.  Is this reasonable?

Corbin Seat - if I understand the recent thread correctly, the position is slightly forward.  I tried this and it makes the drag bars comfortable.  But I would need the 4" forward controls.  I believe this would give an extra 1" or a bit for the passenger, which is about what we need.  

Forward Controls - The $100 available from another member are what I had in mind.  Will these perhaps more easily fit fancy pegs?  I kind of hate the stock pegs!  I believe my position will be very nice with these and the Corbin seat.  

Position effect:  I rode home tucked forward a bit.  The bike had more weight on the front end and handled better.  Interesting.  More stable, turn in on cornering is better.  Nice.

Windscreen.  Currently I have the S40 Boulevard small screen, which works but leaves my head and hands exposed.  Light bike mostly ridden solo by a fairly light (170) rider over bridges with strong crosswinds and on some highways with big trucks.  I get a very little bit of kiting and bashing from the current screen, but I'd get that from chest airstream anyway.  How big a screen can I fit?  I'm looking at Slipstreamer models. The bars are only something like 28" across.  
http://slipstreamer.com/Product/Touring/touring.html  I notice the S-00, S-02, S-03 have lower bottom edges.  Is this really important?  Most of the touring screens are too wide.  35"  I really could use 30 or 32 and be perfectly well sheltered with the drag bars.  But if I change . . . .  So maybe 32 would be good.   Recommendations? S-03 Original, S-05 Turbo.  One wide, one tight and narrower.  Would the S-03 Original maybe have too much kite effect?  I'm sure the S-05 Turbo wouldn't give much more kick than the current screen, but it wouldn't give much more protection.

Then theres the SS-20 Stealth - which might give much more protection than first appears: http://slipstreamer.com/Product/Cruisers/cruisers.html

And SS-28 is cool looking http://slipstreamer.com/Product/Sport/sport.html

Really, I mainly want hand protection and maybe just a little more head, although the stock screen is good enough for the head/chest.  Air whipping around the hand area is the problem.

BAGS:  Have to find something big enough to cobble on there.  The throwovers aren't going to do it.  

Then I'll have more protection in the front from wind, forward position with forward controls, more passenger room.  Is this a reasonable approach?

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Slipstreamer, Corbin, Forward Controls - worth
Reply #1 - 10/12/09 at 18:54:00

I have had the 02 spirit is is one of the best you can get for protection from the wind and good hand coverage,I have now a harley looking one now, I like the looks better but the protection isn't there,The better the protection the less tiring it is on a long ride.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 10/12/09 at 19:40:37

The National Cycle Plexi-Fairing GT is a good fit.  It's not listed for the Savage/S40, but fit my Savage well with the buckhorn bars.  I'm 6' tall and had to cut 2" off the top.  I bought mine from bikebandit.com for their fair price and excellent return policy.  You'll need the 1" handlebar clamps, $15.

Spencer's MotoCare modifies stock seats very reasonably and has a very good reputation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/12/09 at 20:57:53

Really, I mainly want hand protection and maybe just a little more head,

What about the bar mounted guards that shield the hands ?

Im not able to address your wanting more head. Completely outta my purview.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/13/09 at 04:27:29

head protection.

The slipstreamer and the national look about the same price from discounters.  Didn't do an in depth review.

The foam recontouring is interesting, but I think I want wider and with a shelf at the back.  Also need a minor bump up in passenger comfort.  

Without springing for a Goldwing!!!!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/13/09 at 08:18:52

Did you see that Butty Buddy thread? That might solve the seating prob for the Missus.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/13/09 at 14:36:51

Yeah, saw that.  I want a better seat for me, too.  We did 2 up into the mountains this morning, maybe 110 miles.  It was alright.  The bike is really just a little tight for the two of us, which is nice, but does pose limits.  I sure like it.  But it's tight tight.  Found a good deal on a Shadow with 1500 miles, going to go ride it.  I suspect it will be fine, except not great in the twisties, and we do have a lot of twisties!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/14/09 at 08:07:34

Well, solo trips are for the Savage, 2 up on the Shadow, till she gets all " I Wanna sit in front" then she'll have the Savage & leave you in the twisties,, how cool would that be>?

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/15/09 at 04:48:11

Would work, but I don't think she's going to ride as a driver.  She had trouble with the Aveo the other day.  I wonder if there's finally enough brain damage after all the concussions that the compression is down a bit.  She gets tired or distracted and screws up.  

I'm reading so many good reviews on the Volusia.  Feels heavy just sitting there, but I have one available to test ride.  So I'll do that.  It's in perfect shape, a trade in at our Harley shop.  White with so much leather on it that I'd probably need white fringed leather. With Rhinestones.  They're asking $4000.  But they don't want it.  If I could get it for my bike plus $2000 that might work nicely.  Not too big for our usual roads (East TN is curvy - thing "Dragon") and not too small for 2 people.  Will carry a big load for utility use.  I suspect I could get a guitar carrier rigged up (I need a guitar carrying capability - just barely possible on the 650).

But I do like the 650 a bunch.  Difficult.  I don't need two motorcycles!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 10/15/09 at 05:40:59

Voldigicam,

Over the past few years, I have been an advocate of getting the MC you need/want rather than trying to make over something into something it will never be (a Savage is never going to be a gixxer, a gixxer isn't going to be a goldwing, etc. no matter what you do to it). In other words, you don't want to spend all you time and effort in trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse. Now if you are into alchemy or chopping or whatever, go for it, that's a different issue.

I guess what I'm saying is figure out what you want, and then try to find it. For example, there are some very reasonably priced used/new MCs out there this time of year. IE I bought my sport tourer new from the dealer for $7K out the door. In some ways unfortunately, I thought I would keep the Savage, but after a riding season, I discovered I only rode it enough to keep it from turning to stone in the garage. I found that the MC I chose as my "ideal" was preferable for all kinds of riding except short in town trips or trips through the park. If I really get a hankering for what the Savage had to offer, I can always ride my wife's vulcan.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #10 - 10/15/09 at 08:23:48

voldigicam wrote on 10/15/09 at 04:48:11:
I'm reading so many good reviews on the Volusia.  Feels heavy just sitting there, but I have one available to test ride.  So I'll do that.  It's in perfect shape, a trade in at our Harley shop.  White with so much leather on it that I'd probably need white fringed leather. With Rhinestones.  They're asking $4000.  But they don't want it.  If I could get it for my bike plus $2000 that might work nicely.  Not too big for our usual roads (East TN is curvy - thing "Dragon") and not too small for 2 people.  Will carry a big load for utility use.

Before you buy the Volusia at the Harley dealer, check out Volusiariders.com and check the swap meet forum. May be able to get you a better deal. There is a 2004 VOL located in Indiana going for $3000 right now. I've been part of the site for many years, and actually part of this site since the beginning. I still have my Savage and I do have my VOL. It's absolutely a great bike. For two up riding I think you would be much happier. If you have any questions on the bike just let me know. Here is a link to my website http://web.mac.com/jenmcguire116/Site/Volusia.html to see my bike, I have a photo of my Savage there also.

Jen
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/02/09 at 09:35:34

I also was looking to get a bigger fairing for cold weather riding, I compared the larger slipstreamers, but ended up with a old style harley batwing fiberglass fairing ($100) it seems to be as wide as the S-00 or S03.  I hope it wont be too overpowering for the size of the savage.  It looks like it will be fairly simple to fab up some mounts.  Hopefully I will get some pics posted this week.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 11/02/09 at 12:33:05

Something also to consider, on the touring MCs that I have ridden, the fairing attaches to the frame, not to the front end. This results in not having to fight wind effects applied directly on the handlebars by the fairing, so less fatigue when riding.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/02/09 at 13:39:37

After a 150 mile plus ride, mostly twisties, with Ms. G we went out and bought a Volusia.  Very nice, much better for 2 up.  I'm thinking we need to get rid of the V&H pipes.  WAY too loud.  I'd rather have a very nice mellower exhaust rather than the intense headache making V&H!  That, some highway bars, grips, and a bigger windshield will make it very nice for long distance work.  

Really, there's not too much vibration, just a little.  And the position is nice.

The Savage proves much more flickable, but not as comfortable.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/02/09 at 14:56:11

You might check with v&h, they may have baffles for it that the PO took out.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:25:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slipstreamer, Corbin, Forward Controls - worth it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.