Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery (Read 226 times)
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery
10/12/09 at 06:30:39

Seems to be getting weaker and weaker. Only two years old.

SHouldn't it last longer than that?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Battery
Reply #1 - 10/12/09 at 07:32:48

It completely depends on your charging and maintaining practises. A battery that is kept fully charged at all times will last many years. One that is 1/2 dead 1/2 the time will not last long. Sounds like yours is somewhere inbetween. Don't even think  the motorcycle itself will take care of the charging needs, altho under frequent and longer riding conditions, it will.

Ramsforever wrote on 10/12/09 at 06:30:39:
Seems to be getting weaker and weaker. Only two years old.

SHouldn't it last longer than that?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 10/12/09 at 08:03:33

Stock batteries last me 4-5 years i think if you put a battery tender on it,it want last as long,I don't charge mine at all in the winter.It is kept in a garage.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/12/09 at 09:43:26

Pull it out and check the liquid level.  If low, I am betting it is, add distilled water and put it on a trickle charger for a day, not more than one amp.
If that doesn't revive it, you may need a new battery.

phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/12/09 at 12:21:34

I will give it a shot.

Thank you!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/12/09 at 21:10:28

How long we ride it after each start matters. If it only runs a few minutes & takes some cranking to get going, its never geting fully charged.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 10/13/09 at 05:41:13

The above post is very correct.
Here is a typical statement found on almost every lead acid battery website.

ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT BATTERIES

Do lead acid batteries discharge when not in use?

All batteries, regardless of their chemistry, will self-discharge. The rate of self-discharge for lead acid batteries depends on the storage or operating temperature. At a temperature of 80 degrees F. a lead acid battery will self-discharge at a rate of approximately 4% a week. A battery with a 125-amp hour rating would self-discharge at a rate of approximately five amps per week. Keeping this in mind if a 125 AH battery is stored for four months (16 weeks) winter without being charged, it will loose 80 amps of its 125-amp capacity. It will also have severe sulfation, which causes additional loss of capacity. Keep your batteries charged while not in use!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contrary to one of the posts above, the continious use of a maintainer float type charger will infact prolong the life of any lead acid battery by as much as several years.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 10/13/09 at 10:01:27

A couple more comments. The self-discharge rate of a battery is influenced by temperature. At low temperatures, the self-discharge rate is lower, so in winter the problem lessens. Older batteries are more prone to self-discharge than new ones.

The float charger may, or may not, extend battery life. It will indeed keep the battery charged, by replenishing the internal discharge current. Depending on the charger's float voltage and the battery's internal chemistry, it will also likely cause some electrolyte loss from water dissociation. "Sealed" batteries are supposed to capture the gasses resulting from dissociation and allow them to recombine, preventing water loss. If you use a float charger you will need to keep an eye on the electrolyte level. The constant current from the float charger can also aggravate internal corrosion in the battery. Your best bet, probably, is to use a battery maintainer of some sort, but put it on a timer so it only operates a few hours per week. Even better, run the maintainer for one day per month.

My limited experience: I have a four-amp battery maintainer. I connected it to my boat battery, in the garage. The battery is a Group 24 marine starting battery, so it is considerably larger than a motorcycle battery. Over a period of about a month the water level in the battery drops by about an eighth of an inch.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/13/09 at 11:01:24

Until I see a pic of the boat, I may choose to pretend I dont believe that..Not because I dont believe it, but because I wanna see yer boat,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/13/09 at 11:50:04

Was checking prices of new batterys and OMG  Shocked

Why more expensive than a car battery?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 10/13/09 at 12:12:57

+1 on keeping the electrolyte topped up!

I also keep a small solar trickle charger plugged into leads I have installed on the battery terminals ... solar panel hangs in the window of my shed and I just unplug the leads when I get ready to Ride. System cost me all of 10 bucks and works like a charm!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/13/09 at 12:52:06

Ramsforever wrote on 10/13/09 at 11:50:04:
Was checking prices of new batterys and OMG  Shocked

Why more expensive than a car battery?

A couple of guesses.

It costs a certain number of dollars to run a factory/ production line.
IF there isnt sufficient demand to run that production enough, then in order to pay for the equipment & maintenance, they have to charge more per unit manufactured. Given sufficient demand, they could get the price down, unless the demand crested an amount that required more new equipment, space, etc.
Point is, if demand is quite a bit less than production capacity, each item is often more, just to keep the business afloat.

Tolerances. Making a motorcycle battery must surely require manufacturing at, not only closer tolerances, but the plates must be thinner, yet, these batteries have to be able to handle the vibration & rough ride a bike delivers. I suspect there are supports for the plates built into the case that dont exist on automotive batteries.

I wouldnt be surprised to find that M/C battery manufacturers are required to build a battery that doesnt go dumping fluid just because the bike got dropped. & the battery needs to survive that bump, too.

IP Logged
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/13/09 at 15:12:55

Another quick question.

Got the battery out and it was low on water. Filled it up with distilled and put the charger on it.

I only have a 2 amp charger. I know someone said 1 amp and the book says 1.5 amps.

Am I OK?

Don't leave it on for more than a few hours?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/13/09 at 15:21:43

2 amp charger is good I would leave it on over night.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/13/09 at 15:24:56

Cool.

Thank you!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print