Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cleaning rusty pitted chrome? (Read 133 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
cleaning rusty pitted chrome?
10/11/09 at 06:35:52

I bought some shocks that have pits and rust on the chrome, I want to recondition them as well as possible. Returning them to new condition will be impossible but whats the best way to make them look the best they can?
Solvent, polish, ?
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: cleaning rusty pitted chrome?
Reply #1 - 10/11/09 at 08:10:15

I'd start with the mildest technique first - soap and water and a non-metallic brush to get the grime off. I might then go to a wipedown with something like WD-40. I would then go to a soft metal brush, such as a brass or bronze gun-cleaning brush, with or without solvent such as water or WD-40. With any luck that would get off most of the rust and cause no more damage to the chrome. It is sometimes recommended to use very fine - 0000 - steel wool to clean rust spots off blued guns, as being something that will get the rust without damaging the bluing. It might work on chrome. Once the rust is off you could try an automotive paste wax for protection.

If none of that works, sell the rusty shocks to a rat-biker.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/11/09 at 08:15:48

Hit them with a good penetrating oil to break the rust down. Let them stay wet a few days if it takes that long to get the deepest rust soaking.
Amazing as it seems ,, Wintergreen OIl walks thru the tightest cracks & loosens nuts on bolts up, so, I expect it would seep into rust, too.
A steel wire brush will screw it up, but brass is okay on chrome. Brush the rust out.

Many rust treatments out there. I like Ospho, its a dilute phosphoric acid & converts iron oxide to iron phosphate, thus, killing the rust.

I dont think it hurts chrome, but Im not sure. Seems I wiped some on a chrome bumper once but you better check on something you dont care about before you go hog wild.
Ospho is about $12.00 a quart, at Kelly Moore paint stores. A quart lasted me for 7 or 8 years, I finally got  a new one.  I just keep some around for killing rust in places I dont like rust being,, thats anywhere at all.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/11/09 at 08:17:42

after gettin all the rust off chrome paint..our local tru valu hardware store carries it

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mumbles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston Tx
Reply #4 - 10/11/09 at 12:12:31

Hit it with some S.O.S cleaning pads. That stuff works wonders on chrome.

1995 Savage
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 10/11/09 at 13:52:55

Just ran across this in my search also for rust removers.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best-way-clean-rust-chrome-78043.html

Some say aluminum foil will remove rust....how ,I dont know Undecided
Anyway,the link is pretty good.

I've heard fine steel wool works but keep it wet with chrome cleaner or oil,whatever.... or it will scratch the chrome.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 10/11/09 at 22:32:38

I like the idea of using coke and aluminum foil  Grin make sense if you figure that coke has an acidic effect and can dissolve some metals over time. i've used the plastic scrubber side of a dish sponge, but it leaves some marks too. if you really want it to look nice though, use a chrome polish/protector, or if its stubborn soak it in solvent, a fine steel wool, and polishing after.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:20:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cleaning rusty pitted chrome?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.