Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Using slightly more oil w/Rotella syn - normal? (Read 237 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Using slightly more oil w/Rotella syn - normal?
10/10/09 at 06:01:21

I appear to be using very slightly more oil with the 5W50 Rotella synthetic.  Is this normal perhaps?  Looks like I'll drop 1/8" in the window over 500 miles.  Which seems acceptable to me, but is roughly double the drop with the 15W-40 regular Rotella.  Only limited testing, so I could be wrong.

I'm not worried, just curious.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Using slightly more oil w/Rotella syn - normal
Reply #1 - 10/10/09 at 06:08:12

I've not noticed an increase in oil usage personally, but you and Verslagen have.  

Interesting point, anyway.

Any shifting changes (we have 4 reports of improved shifting) or more free rpm pickup (2 reports of freer revving)?

============

There is a known correlation between people wicking it up more and increased oil usage, type of oil irregardless.  

If you are enjoying the free revving, you might kinda expect to lose some extra oil through the air box dump tube.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/10/09 at 09:11:46

Oh yes, on the shifting, much much better.  No comparison.  Engine runs freer, gets noticeably better mileage.  Previously 45 to 52 mpg, now 48 with 2 on board running hard, 55 normally.  Impressive.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/10/09 at 09:32:54

I know this shouldn't be coming from me (since I am a known partisan for Rotella Syn) but the change in shifting and engine run up/wick up characteristics just from changing to the blue jug stuff altered performance of my bike about as much as unstopping the air filter did.

As such, should this be listed as a mod?

I mean, we list the platinum plug as a mod -- but Rotella Syn made a much larger actual change in my engine performance than the platinum plug ever did.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/10/09 at 09:33:40

A thinner oil may be allowing some leakage in places that didnt seep any out before. Thats one of the reasons I went to 15/40. I think it slowed it some at the o-ring  where the clutch arm goes thru the side. Keeping it topped off with the 15/40 Rotella-T is plenty cheap.
1/8th" in 500 miles? Id say youre doing pretty danged Good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 10/10/09 at 16:46:15

The oil is no thinner at operating temperature.  Both meet the 40 wt. spec at 100°C, the test temperature.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/10/09 at 18:29:52

PTRider wrote on 10/10/09 at 16:46:15:
The oil is no thinner at operating temperature.  Both meet the 40 wt. spec at 100°C, the test temperature.

Good point. Given what Ive read, I think Ill just swap over to the synthetic & see how it goes. I guess Ill have to fix that leaky O-Ring issue,, dang ITTT,,, Owell, I have an oil change coming up, that would be when to do it all & just be DONE wiff the dang thang,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #7 - 10/11/09 at 07:57:19

Definately an improvement in shifting with the Rotella syn. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/11/09 at 08:13:35

We also have enough people saying they get better gas mileage for me to start trying to collect my own information to see what is what on that topic.  

I generally get 47-48 mpg around town historically due to my bad habits with the right wrist, so we will see if Rsyn makes any difference mileage wise.

I know I am one of the ones who is a "freer wicker" and an "easier shifting" anyway.  Mpg, I dunno yet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/11/09 at 08:18:58

It would need to a dramatic increase in pure engine efficiency to translate into better MPG what will all the grins from the newly discovered "Free Wicking" & easy shifting.

IOW, Id be riding stewpid & waste it all,, yea, like that.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/11/09 at 08:20:55

I already ran stupid before, so if I am more efficiently doing stupid it might actually show in the mpg numbers -- plus, I'm curious anyway.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/11/09 at 09:22:40

Good Point, O.F., Good Point..

I gotta get that Goodrich on. So I can do some more Stewpid. I am really anxious to see how having it on affects the rear braking. Right now, the ground is too wet to set the Harbor Freight tire changer in the cement.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/12/09 at 14:53:14

I also noticed more oil consumption with Mobil 1 v twin synthetic.
I topped it off with rotella between oil changes.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/12/09 at 15:02:47

I've never notice any difference in oil consumption between syn,and regular oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 10/12/09 at 16:14:36

I was riding today in the rain and I was able to break free the rear tire accelerating from the stop lights -- I didn't have that issue in the past, but cannot say what the real root cause was either.  

Could have been residue of oil on the street, could have been extra power available, could have been "more wick" coming up quicker on the acceleration - who knows?  Really no way to discern what caused it, not completely.

I just know I liked it.

The converse to this being I've got to start being more careful accelerating around the curves now because that "digging in" sensation when whapping it on the second half of the turn might turn into a butt end power slide --- and that could be right scary.

(I don't do that in the rain -- too wet and slick already !!)

I think "more wick" = more oil consumption blowing it out the bypass tube in the head down to the air box.  

Plus if you make a habit out of wicking it hard you are going to loosen up your engine over a period of time.  I think they call it "intentional abuse" ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Using slightly more oil w/Rotella syn - normal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.