will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brake rear brake?
Reply #15 - 10/11/09 at 17:17:30

Not making any unusual noises?
tire not rubbing anywhere?
belt not overly tight?
if you can't twist it at all, I'd say it's way too tight.
your call.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 10/11/09 at 18:24:22

skatnbnc wrote on 10/11/09 at 16:00:10:
Well crud. The dealer is 1 hour away and only open weekdays when I am at work.
Plus that means I have to ride out there with this thing canted like that.
I did ride the bike route and all day last week for our annual ride, plus my usual daily ride to/from work.

Will it hurt anything to ride like that until I get to the shop?  Because I want THEM to fix it - THEY have the bike lift and tools.

If you have been riding it that way it shouldn't hurt to wait and have them fix it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/11/09 at 23:12:51

That thing will adjust w/o a lift. As long as you can break the axle nut loose, yer in biz. I bet a dollar you can find someone in town who will bust the nut loose, let you adjust the belt tension & align the rear wheel to the frame, which requires no lift & then snug it back up for you. The axle doesnt Have to be incredibly tight. The adjuster is there & with a light load on it, the axle cant drift forward. The specs on torque are in the book & I cant remember it, but I really dont believe an impact is necessary. Take pics & E mail them to that shop. That was some crappy work right there I tell YEW....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #18 - 10/12/09 at 08:09:50

verslagen1 wrote on 10/11/09 at 17:17:30:
Not making any unusual noises?
tire not rubbing anywhere?
belt not overly tight?
if you can't twist it at all, I'd say it's way too tight.
your call.

Tire not rubbing, no unusual noises.
Belt - I will check it tonite - not riding today, too much rain, and I am worried about that canted piece.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/12/09 at 09:39:55

If the brake plate is not in the slot, applying the rear brake can cause great damage. If it is just that adjuster that is wrong, the wheel may not be in alignment and could cause a handling problem.
At any rate the mechanic pretender who did the job needs to be called to account for a potentially hazardous screw up.
Come visit me for a while. I will give free assistance and education on the care and feeding of your machine.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #20 - 10/12/09 at 10:41:21

Phelonius wrote on 10/12/09 at 09:39:55:
If the brake plate is not in the slot, applying the rear brake can cause great damage. If it is just that adjuster that is wrong, the wheel may not be in alignment and could cause a handling problem.
At any rate the mechanic pretender who did the job needs to be called to account for a potentially hazardous screw up.
Come visit me for a while. I will give free assistance and education on the care and feeding of your machine.
Phelonius

Well I have previously offered Savage forum guys to work on my bike - including YOU Pman!!

And, come to think of it, my rear brake did start squealing recently. I just eased off using it....not good I know.

« Last Edit: 10/12/09 at 13:45:28 by skatnbnc »  

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 10/12/09 at 21:08:57

If its not in, the you can either prove it by looking or rolling backwards & applying the brake, GENtleee... If it doesnt stop like it should, let off. Youve already proven that IF its not in the slot, its above it, so forward travel & using the brake should be okay. Youll have to get the axle loose to swing that adjuster back up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #22 - 10/13/09 at 06:17:41

i checked the belt this morning and it is fine, but i am not sure about being aligned or straight because i was late for work, and didnt have time to play with it.

still going to call the shop on this one. will let you know how that goes... Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:20:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake rear brake?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.