Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb? (Read 605 times)
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Re: Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb?
Reply #30 - 10/06/09 at 05:51:06

I was getting 65 mpg with mine.

07 S40
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #31 - 10/06/09 at 07:38:19

Hey Dan,

You seem to have resolved the issue in your mind already, but I wanted to just throw out my thoughts.
As long as you retain the stock carb, adjusting/tuning/jetting the carb to maximize the efficiency and power of the engine to match you needs of the engine in accordance with you location (altitude, temp and humidity) is totally within any difinition of "stock form".
The carb settings, as it comes off the assembly line in Japan, are not going to be appropriate for 98% of end of the line customers.  It is just not possible, because they have no idea where the bike will end up.   The factory settings are just a starting point.  If the local dealer was actually doing his job, he would rejet/adjust the carb as part of the final checklist when he sells the bike to a customer.  If the bike had a computer controlled fuel injection system then it would automatically do the adjustment when you start it up, but being this bike still has a carb then it needs to be manually adjusted.  That adjustment, based on local conditions, is completely appropriate & legal in order for the machine to run efficiently.
Jesus would expect nothing less.  He was all about being practical, with righteousness.  

Is it wrong to replace the factory installed carb with another model ?  Not if that carb is jetted and tuned to maximize efficiency.  Did Suzuki ever change a carb, or rejet a carb, on a bike ?  Of course they have.  All manufacturers do it all the time.  Models are changed/upgraded all the time.  Is it wrong for them to do so ?  NO.  Is it wrong for us to do so ?  NO. As long as we jet and tune the carb/engine unit to maximize efficiency then we have fullfillled the intent of the law.

« Last Edit: 10/07/09 at 16:25:36 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #32 - 10/06/09 at 15:40:48

Routy,
We will see. Time will tell. You and I will both experience the truth one day. Use your map, I will use mine...Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #33 - 10/06/09 at 15:44:19

Lancer,
You got the right idea. Thanks, I feel better already.....Dan

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 10/07/09 at 06:13:26

As long as we jet and tune the carb/engine unit to maximize efficiency then we have [fullfillled the intent of the law.

Filed in the "Wish I'd said that" file.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 10/07/09 at 06:28:51

Jesus would have wanted your s40 to run good and have a loud pipe too,He was into stuff like that,when he wasn't preaching.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #36 - 10/07/09 at 08:17:40

I will simply say this. Jesus and rationalization notwithstanding, anything you do (or have done) to your motorcycle which increases emissions is a violation of Federal law. Doesn't matter whether it runs better or worse, or whether the resulting change is still within spec. If the emissions increase, the law has been broken. "Emissions" also includes noise, so any alteration of either the intake or the exhaust which increases noise is a violation. You are on your own.

Flame away.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #37 - 10/07/09 at 09:38:50

Charon,
Why did you have to be so straight forward and correct? As I suspected, any change in muffler or carb that increases noise or air polution emissions is unlawful. It is plainly written on the muffler, but I have not seen any warnings about carb adjustments yet, but I would bet you are correct. If you want to remain lawful you cannot make the changes we have been talking about. Then, the S40 and LS650 are not suitable bikes for the US market unless left in their original not running too good condition as shipped. If you fix the running problem then you are breaking the law and the bikes are still not suitable for the USA. Nice bikes though. Too bad to be caught in this trap. Also too bad that Japan did not spend the money to make them meet the emission requirements of our country and run good as well. Do you suppose that one could operate in the spirit of the law and make just a small change. So true how the law kills and the Spirit gives life. I need to sell one of my bikes anyway. I may just keep the Virago 250 since it  meets emission requirements according to my Yamaha dealer's exhaust test. Thanks for your insight.....Dan

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #38 - 10/07/09 at 18:05:27

LANCER wrote on 10/06/09 at 07:38:19:
...adjustment, based on local conditions, is completely appropriate & legal in order for the machine to run efficiently.
Jesus would expect nothing less.  He was all about being practical, with righteousness.  

This is a great.  As religious interpretations go, I like the one that requires you to tune your carb best.. turns Dan's legal trepidation right on its head, haha  Cheesy  

And, reading your post I had to laugh a little at the memory of when I first got the carb (the one with the borked UFO) because upon installation and firing it up...  

The most un-holy smoke did belch forth from the bowels of the machine, or possibly the den of Satan himself.  As the acrid black mass rolled out, it began to form a shape, like a genie out of a bottle.. but bad.  7 heads.  Lucky for me I did have my Oral Roberts prayer cloth to fan it away and shield my innocent lungs from the fumes of the beast, otherwise I might not be here to testify.

So after you sent me the replacement parts (express delivery, folks, Lancer goes out of his way to make things right) I got the UFO seated correctly, did the air bleed mod, and it runs like a Swiss watch now.  Well.. a Swiss watch and a small caliber pistol.. perfect, just enough to keep the demons at bay.  Smiley

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #39 - 10/07/09 at 19:07:30

All this is just talk, for fun I hope, not making fun of anyone. One EPA site does say that it is in conflict with the law to make any adjustment or change that causes the vehicle to produce more polution. So, most all of us are outlaws. That is not my desire. Too bad it leaves us with such a choice to make. The bike is a great little bike, too bad the manufacturer let us down and for so many years. This bike should run first class direct from the factory.

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #40 - 10/07/09 at 19:59:42

Just by riding a Motorcycle you are doing the world a favor.  We produce much less than many Cars and certainly Trucks in emissions.  Emissions by manufacturing as well as actual air emissions.

Cars and Trucks are able to produce these emissions due to one word.  Guess what it is?  It’s “Money!”  ofc, silly bird.  The big Car and Truck manufactures (with the oil companies behind them) have the money and power.  They have the money to lobby our Government. Ever see “Who killed the electric car?”  We figured it out many years ago!  Big Oil got us back under their wing fast as they could after that.
$4.00+ a gallon gas a year ago has companies working on different things now but….we’ll just see… now that gas is $2.50ish again.

My point is as I see Jesus (if I believed in such things) would be that he was quite into the world, people, conservation, helping, etc.  /shrug  
He’d drive a motorcycle not just cuz he was cool but cuz he could help the world, people, conservation.

IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Reply #41 - 10/08/09 at 04:45:45

I tried hard to keep my new bike stock.. ran MUCH too lean(bad for engine) removed white spacer on slide needle and drilled-out brass plug to access idle mixture screw.. cost nothing, bike runs MUCH better(cooler too) .. I really don't see any merit to not performing simple tasks that only return the carb to it's original design performance. There is not an honesty issue here, just do it Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #42 - 10/08/09 at 05:21:27

KK Lewi,
While thanking you for taking the time to add to this thread I regret that you do not believe in Jesus. He had a mission here on earth, not so much what has been defined by you. He was sent to redeem the people of the world, not to engage in politics, pollution or being cool. On the other hand, I am sure the creator of the universe would not approve of His world being polluted before it's usefullness in it's present form is finished. Jesus wants you to live forever beside Him.....That is His mission.

Better read Charon's message two or three times (above a few entries). He has the facts. All else are excuses to do what we want to our bikes. Not argueing that they need it or not, but it is against the law.

This will be my last entry, but you guys can keep up the discussion as long as it interests you.....Thanks for all, Dan

IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 10/08/09 at 05:40:07

This forum is turning into a religious and political forum more and more every day!!!! Gene  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #44 - 10/08/09 at 05:46:02

Well, he follows his convictions. Maybe that will keep him from ever having any on his record. Im just not that good of a guy I guess.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:19:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.