Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb? (Read 605 times)
PiaFea

Against the Wind !

Houston, Texas - USA
Re: Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb?
Reply #15 - 10/05/09 at 11:17:43

I have an unmodified carb on my 2005 Boul S40. Plenty of power on the freeway for me at 75mph cruising. (Bought the bike on 11/11/05)
Pop a little bit, from time to time when shutting of the engine. No popping on smooth deceleration only on voluntary excessive deceleration.

I have not removed the carb yet as of today.

Backfire on control is good sometime. It just like adding a little spices on your dishes.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #16 - 10/05/09 at 11:26:50

Ebikerman wrote on 10/05/09 at 09:18:02:
Boule'tard, You are right in what you say. No one will know my dirty little secret. However, honesty is very attractive to me in all aspects of life. If I will be dishonest in one place, I will be dishonest in others. My guideing light would be distorted toward selfishness. Who is my guide...Jesus Christ. My next dishonest moment might include you. Since I tend to walk the straight line, you are safe in all respects from me. Please don't be offended by my honesty and I do appreciate the effort and information you made to help me. That in itself is a good sign....Thanks, Dan

Ok this is will be way off topic, but I feel compelled to go philosophical again  Roll Eyes

First, my hat is off to you for even TRYING to walk your religious walk; that's rare. But there are so many interpretations of what course of action is "right" amongst the religions (or even denominations of the SAME religion, supposedly in contact with the same god) that you can easily shoehorn whatever you want to do into the edicts of any religion.. and on most issues the rules are so vague, there is no real guidance to be had.  I bought my performance carb kit from Lancer, the biggest holy-roller on this board, and he apparently has no problem running a modified bike and encouraging others to do the same. If you want a full, comprehensive moral code, you might as well start from basic rationality and self-interest (not selfishness) and build up from there.

Another thing to consider is the difference between dishonesty and simply not volunteering information -- absolutely nothing dishonest or un-Jesusy about that.  You're under no moral obligation to broadcast the contents of your wife's panty drawer to a bunch of peeping-toms, or the location of your valuables to thieves. Likewise, you're not required to disclose the configuration of your carb to us, and especially not to anyone in a position to do you harm because of it.

The third point to consider is voluntary vs. coerced interactions.  You most certainly would be committing a moral foul by being dishonest with me, because any interaction we have is going to be completely consensual and voluntary.  If I was going to buy your carb and asked how it's configured, you're not at liberty to lie about it, an obviously immoral fraud.  You can tell the truth, that your spacer is shaved, or clam up and say nothing. Then I'm at liberty to buy it or not.

Compare that to interactions with agents of the state.  You, me, and everyone are acting under duress when dealing with them.. we do exactly what they say, pay their fees, don't do what they forbid.. regardless of how retarded the law is -- or get jailed, injured or killed.  They have all the power and just use force to get their way.  Because of this, there is no moral obligation to be honest with agents of the state.  For an extreme example, imagine a known jewelry thief coming up to you with a gun in your face, demanding to know where your wife is. You know your wife has her jewelry on.  Are you going to feel morally obligated to be truthful with the thief?  Of course not.. you're under duress.

So quit fretting about your CARB, DUDE!!  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/05/09 at 11:30:05

It is legal for you to modify the carb...until they start requiring emissions testing for MCs. Until then don't worry about it. I don't recall "though shalt not modify". If you're an environmentalist then you can chnage it back to stock if you like. It wont run as well. It wont last as long. Consider the manufacturing of new parts that will need replacing sooner, the shipping, the packaging, etc. Not to mention if you happen to drop a valve after 30k mi or so while on the highway because you were running stock(lean). The sudden stop will leave you stranded, and with a broken bike requiring much time effort money and resources to repair. If you're really worried about what jesus would think dont ever buy anything that isnt US union made. Otherwise you're more likely than not supporting sweatshop labor which is just a sidestep from slavery. What would jesus think about that?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 10/05/09 at 11:44:46

I can "Get stock" long enough to pass the test.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #19 - 10/05/09 at 12:24:29

Ebikerman wrote on 10/05/09 at 06:54:33:
False Illusion, I am trying to figure out what you mean by adjust settings again with cold weather coming. What adjustments do you mean? Are you the original owner.....if not is there any possibility that he/she made mods to the carb adj? I appreciate your help. It has given me encouragement that there is hope of being EPA legal and still have a good running bike.
Thanks, Dan

I modified my original post. I was referring to the "Idle Speed" adjustment setting. I apologize for the confusion.
I am the 2nd owner. The PO had it for 1009 miles ...as far as I know the PO did not mod the carb. I have yet to open it up. It has been doing great since I've owned it.

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #20 - 10/05/09 at 12:43:47

Routy wrote on 10/05/09 at 10:04:07:
False Illusion wrote on 10/05/09 at 06:41:41:
I am still completely stock on an '07. Cold mornings I 1/2 choke until she's good and warm then unchoke. I will get a poof at shut down on occasion and once in a blue moon a backfire...but no decel backfiring. I will need to adjust settings again now that it's getting colder..  Wink

BTW...I'm gettin' about 65mpg...

HTH(Hope This Helps) Cool

How can you be completely stock and yet able to adjust settings.
Completely stock means you can't adjust any settings.
And its just amazing that you're getting better mpg than anyone.
And you're post says nothing about how perfectly well it runs,....if it is completely stock.

My 07 was completely stock, and it was ok,.....but it was not running correctly at intermedeiate speeds, so I fixed it w/ the spacer mod.

My bro has the same bike, and is completely stock. His runs exactly the same way, but he is ok w/ it that way. You don't have to mod a new bike, but if you want it to run correctly, you'll probably have too.

BTW, we both get 45-50 mpg, and both stock bikes afterfire on deceleration, and they both go "poof" when they shut down. Grin

I apologize for the confusion, Routy. I modified my original post. I was referring to the Idle Speed "setting". My terminology was off, sir. The bike actually does run great.

Unless both speedo's (Schwinn and Stock) are off by quite a bit, that is about what I'm averaging...anywhere between 63-65mpg.

That mpg is one of the reasons I kept this bike and didn't look for another... Smiley

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 10/05/09 at 12:53:48

Boule’tard wrote on 10/05/09 at 11:26:50:
Ebikerman wrote on 10/05/09 at 09:18:02:
Boule'tard, You are right in what you say. No one will know my dirty little secret. However, honesty is very attractive to me in all aspects of life. If I will be dishonest in one place, I will be dishonest in others. My guideing light would be distorted toward selfishness. Who is my guide...Jesus Christ. My next dishonest moment might include you. Since I tend to walk the straight line, you are safe in all respects from me. Please don't be offended by my honesty and I do appreciate the effort and information you made to help me. That in itself is a good sign....Thanks, Dan

Ok this is will be way off topic, but I feel compelled to go philosophical again  Roll Eyes

First, my hat is off to you for even TRYING to walk your religious walk; that's rare. But there are so many interpretations of what course of action is "right" amongst the religions (or even denominations of the SAME religion, supposedly in contact with the same god) that you can easily shoehorn whatever you want to do into the edicts of any religion.. and on most issues the rules are so vague, there is no real guidance to be had.  I bought my performance carb kit from Lancer, the biggest holy-roller on this board, and he apparently has no problem running a modified bike and encouraging others to do the same. If you want a full, comprehensive moral code, you might as well start from basic rationality and self-interest (not selfishness) and build up from there.

Another thing to consider is the difference between dishonesty and simply not volunteering information -- absolutely nothing dishonest or un-Jesusy about that.  You're under no moral obligation to broadcast the contents of your wife's panty drawer to a bunch of peeping-toms, or the location of your valuables to thieves. Likewise, you're not required to disclose the configuration of your carb to us, and especially not to anyone in a position to do you harm because of it.

The third point to consider is voluntary vs. coerced interactions.  You most certainly would be committing a moral foul by being dishonest with me, because any interaction we have is going to be completely consensual and voluntary.  If I was going to buy your carb and asked how it's configured, you're not at liberty to lie about it, an obviously immoral fraud.  You can tell the truth, that your spacer is shaved, or clam up and say nothing. Then I'm at liberty to buy it or not.

Compare that to interactions with agents of the state.  You, me, and everyone are acting under duress when dealing with them.. we do exactly what they say, pay their fees, don't do what they forbid.. regardless of how retarded the law is -- or get jailed, injured or killed.  They have all the power and just use force to get their way.  Because of this, there is no moral obligation to be honest with agents of the state.  For an extreme example, imagine a known jewelry thief coming up to you with a gun in your face, demanding to know where your wife is. You know your wife has her jewelry on.  Are you going to feel morally obligated to be truthful with the thief?  Of course not.. you're under duress.

So quit fretting about your CARB, DUDE!!  Cheesy

One of the best posts Ive seen in a long time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 10/05/09 at 13:19:41

Ebikerman wrote on 10/05/09 at 07:15:18:
My bike runs great after halfing the white washer thickness, and gets about 57 mpg on the hiway. Most will think me crazy, but I would rather be legal if possible. I would not know which carb to purchase or what jets to replace or their size in the carb on the bike. Is there much exhaust emission difference made by raising the needle by as much as half the washer thickness? What about 145 to 150 main jet?

Just about all dealers will tell they can not adjust your carb.  It's either written into the law or is a epa rule.
Now that being said, Your carb was adjusted at the factory.  I don't even know if they adjust it while on your bike.  The conditions which exist in your area of habitation are different then factory and all bikes are different.
At 57 mpg, your bike is quite efficient.  Whiching to stock jetting might improve mpg, might not.  I had made the same change (from 145 to 150) and have the same experience.  No loss of mpg and improved response.
I adjust the idle mixture based upon the shut down blast.  Lean it out as much as you can w/o the shut down being more than a comical poof.

WWW   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #23 - 10/05/09 at 13:31:45

Speaking of choke, I do not recommend leaving the choke
out for more than 30 seconds ON ANY BIKE cause the sparkplug
fouls that way (carbon deposits), better just adjust higher idle RPM's

BTW stock savage carbs seem to be a bit lean
but pretty fuel efficient from what I hear

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #24 - 10/05/09 at 13:59:30

In regards to Boule'tards Post ....
Let it be known that religions and denomination don't matter, ..... there are many paths to God ! My path and hopefully yours is just 2 of them.
Also, if Jesus was here today, I would like to think he would take a ride w/ me, and that he'd be tickled that I had this bike running as good as  is humanly possible.   Wink  Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #25 - 10/05/09 at 14:05:02

I run a stock carb on my '05 S40 ... get the occassional backfire on decel, but not very often ... 'cause we generally have cooler weather up here on "The Rock", I often have to run on 1/2 choke for a kilometer or so, otherwise I'll get surging on the throttle (same as with my previous '03 Savage) ... adjusted the fuel/air screw earlier in the summer, so that the Bike runs a little richer ... runs a bit smoother when cold and fuel-milage seems to be down a slight bit too ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #26 - 10/05/09 at 15:52:08

WebsterMark,
First, I want to thank you for your encouragement. I don't know if the Caesar rule applies to carb modification, that is the big question. However, we would have to tuck our tails and accept the church bus ruling you mentioned whether we liked it or not.

I like your position on the freedom issue. It would be nice to carry it that far. My interpretation is that I am free to not live the old life which included commiting acts contrary to the law of our land etc. I am free to live a life that is in line with God's desires. What pleases Him is my concern. I could say a lot more on this topic, but this is not the place for it. Let it suffice to say that the carb modification has been done and I am responsible for it. For the most part I am at peace about it.

I really appreciate your encouragement. That means a lot, especially since we do not even know each other. It's good to have someone on your side in any issue. Thanks, Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #27 - 10/05/09 at 16:04:13

Verslagen1,
Now you have a great answer to the problem. I like your position on conditions being different here and there. Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #28 - 10/05/09 at 16:17:34

Routy,
I like your second remark about Jesus riding on your bike with you. However, your first remark about many paths to God is very weak. All paths lead somewhere, but not all or even many lead to the Creator of the universe.

WOW, this is all stretching the intent of my thread on carb modification. It has been good though to get all this out into the open and toss it around.

Even though it may not seem like it from my response, I appreciate you taking time to address the problem as you see it. I know you are interested in helping solve the problem, what ever it is. I almost have forgotten what it is by now. Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: 10/05/09 at 18:04:43 by Ebikerman »  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 10/06/09 at 04:15:13

quote:
All paths lead somewhere, but not all or even many lead to the Creator of the universe.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is this way of thinking that is a huge problem in the religious world today, and is what Boule'tard was referring to.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.