Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb? (Read 605 times)
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb?
10/05/09 at 06:22:33

I am wondering if a completely unmodified carb on a stock S40 Boulevard can produce satisfactory running (no surging) and no backfires? I mean stock carb and settings, no white washer or mixture or jet changes. If I bought a new S40 Boulevard, could I expect to be able to leave the carb EPA legal? I have a 2006 S40 and it has had the carb mods and runs great. I just wonder if I bought a new carb or a new bike, would it run right without mods. Thanks all....Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Re: Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb?
Reply #1 - 10/05/09 at 06:41:41

I am still completely stock on an '07. Cold mornings I 1/2 choke until she's good and warm then unchoke. I will get a poof at shut down on occasion and once in a blue moon a backfire...but no decel backfiring. I will need to adjust *IDLE SPEED SCREW* settings again now that it's getting colder..  Wink

BTW...I'm gettin' about 65mpg...

*Modified from my original posting. I apologize for the confusion caused by my lack of differentiation. Embarrassed

HTH(Hope This Helps) Cool

« Last Edit: 10/05/09 at 12:26:00 by False Illusion »  

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 10/05/09 at 06:44:19

When I first got my '05 I knew nothing about the carb's jetting, how to fix the backfiring, nothing.  The prev. owner didn't do anything with the carb.  The bike backfired like crazy, surged, and ran hot as hell. Well that set me on the path to some research, to say the least.  

To be fair, the pilot jet did have some crud in it, which probably made the backfiring worse.  The jet is so small it's prone to clogging, and mine sure needed a good scouring (like with a drill bit) but I didn't buy new jets because I was not going to keep that carb.

It did run great with the spacer removed, mixture screw adjusted, and stock jets.. even with the airbox and exhaust uncorked.  You can get by without rejetting.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #3 - 10/05/09 at 06:54:33

False Illusion, I am trying to figure out what you mean by adjust settings again with cold weather coming. What adjustments do you mean? Are you the original owner.....if not is there any possibility that he/she made mods to the carb adj? I appreciate your help. It has given me encouragement that there is hope of being EPA legal and still have a good running bike.
Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: 10/05/09 at 09:02:15 by Ebikerman »  

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 10/05/09 at 06:54:57

My 2004 ran many thousands of miles un-modified without any backfires (it was difficult even to get more than a poof even deliberately). I do not consider drilling out the cover over the adjustment screw to be a modification - you have to be able to get to the adjustment to make it. No surging once it warmed up, started fine even well below freezing temps, and ran fine in the summer.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #5 - 10/05/09 at 07:15:18

Anyone know if carb mods are legal for the owner to do? My bike mechanic said it was legal for me, but not for him.

My '06 S40 Boulevard has had half the white washer removed. That is the only mod I know of, but there may be more since I am not the original owner. I do know that it has a 150 main jet and the idle mixture screw is set at 1 1/2 turns out. Very few muffled back fires and almost no surging.

My Clymer Manual lists 3 carbs for the LS650 and S40. How do you know which carb came on the '07 S40 and which jets are stock? 145, 155 & 125 are the main jets shown in the Clymer Manual, but no mention of what year.

My bike runs great after halfing the white washer thickness, and gets about 57 mpg on the hiway. Most will think me crazy, but I would rather be legal if possible. I would not know which carb to purchase or what jets to replace or their size in the carb on the bike. Is there much exhaust emission difference made by raising the needle by as much as half the washer thickness? What about 145 to 150 main jet?

The Suzuki Dealer in Tifton Georgia said they have not had any returns for surging or back firing on these 650s for about 4 years the parts man has been there yet many on this forum modify the carb to prevent this behavior.

Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: 10/05/09 at 08:57:44 by Ebikerman »  

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #6 - 10/05/09 at 07:21:16

Mornhm, how many turns out on the idle adj screw do you run? Mine was between 2 1/2 & 3 turns out when I got the bike. I found I could screw it in to 1 1/2 turns and get practically the same performance. Maybe even better acceleration. Thanks, Dan

« Last Edit: 10/05/09 at 09:02:46 by Ebikerman »  

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 10/05/09 at 07:51:32

Ebikerman wrote on 10/05/09 at 07:15:18:
My Clymer Manual lists 3 carbs for the LS650 and S40. How do you know which carb came on the '07 S40 and which jets are stock? 145 and 150 are at least some of the main jets shown in the Clymer Manual.

Stock '05 had a 145 main, and it's unlikely they'd go richer on a later model.

Quote:
My bike runs great after halfing the white washer thickness, and gets about 57 mpg on the hiway. Most will think me crazy, but I would rather be legal if possible. I would not know which carb to purchase or what jets to replace or their size in the carb on the bike. Is there much exhaust emission difference made by raising the needle by as much as half the washer thickness? What about 145 to 150 main jet?

Dude. You would be an absolute fool to buy a new carb, or even any stock carb parts to bring yours back to factory specs, when your bike runs well, you're happy with the performance, and it gets 57mpg (!)

No bureaucrat is ever going to dig into your carb and find your dirty little secret, ooh the white spacer is only half as thick as it should be.. busted!  

Think of the environmental costs associated with junking the engine prematurely and building a replacement, because the mixture was off due to legal requirements.  Stupid laws should be broken and it's your patriotic duty to break them, IMO.  

Quote:
The Suzuki Dealer in Tifton Georgia said they have not had any returns for surging or back firing on these 650s for about 4 years the parts man has been there yet many on this forum modify the carb to prevent this behavior.

Right, because everybody knows it's far easier to turn a screw than go back to the dealer just to listen to a bunch of hemming and hawing about how they can't do anything because their hands are tied legally.  That's for warranty work, though.  Go to a Harley dealer and plunk down the money to convert to Screamin' Eagle gear and they're all "Sir, yes sir! Competition use-only parts coming right up!"

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 10/05/09 at 08:07:21

Ebikerman wrote on 10/05/09 at 07:21:16:
Mornhm, how turns out on the idle adj screw do you run? Mine was between 2 1/2 & 3 turns out when I got the bike. I found I could screw it in to 1 1/2 turns and get practically the same performance. Maybe even better acceleration. Thanks, Dan

I no longer have the MC, but I adjusted to 2 turns initially, and then fiddled with it over the next couple of maintenance intervals, but settled in about 2. Like you point out the performance was about the same when I was around 2 - it seemed to be a good adjustment not overly critica. I am not a big fan of backfires so that was what I was attempting to eliminate (and the pop pop pop decel). I was not trying to improve my gas mileage, and did not use any instrumentation except that I wasn't getting black soot on the exhaust.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #9 - 10/05/09 at 09:18:02

Boule'tard, You are right in what you say. No one will know my dirty little secret. However, honesty is very attractive to me in all aspects of life. If I will be dishonest in one place, I will be dishonest in others. My guideing light would be distorted toward selfishness. Who is my guide...Jesus Christ. My next dishonest moment might include you. Since I tend to walk the straight line, you are safe in all respects from me. Please don't be offended by my honesty and I do appreciate the effort and information you made to help me. That in itself is a good sign....Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/05/09 at 09:47:54

Its not illegal to rejet your carb. Its not immoral. Its just making your bike run better & longer. No one will ever even ask if you did, BUT, if you feel the need, you can tell them when you register it & get the inspection sticker. no one will even bat an eye. No one cares. Its not wrong.  Its YOurs Now, you can make it yours, The tag on the pillow? YOU can cut it off. The store cant.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 10/05/09 at 10:04:07

False Illusion wrote on 10/05/09 at 06:41:41:
I am still completely stock on an '07. Cold mornings I 1/2 choke until she's good and warm then unchoke. I will get a poof at shut down on occasion and once in a blue moon a backfire...but no decel backfiring. I will need to adjust settings again now that it's getting colder..  Wink

BTW...I'm gettin' about 65mpg...

HTH(Hope This Helps) Cool

How can you be completely stock and yet able to adjust settings.
Completely stock means you can't adjust any settings.
And its just amazing that you're getting better mpg than anyone.
And you're post says nothing about how perfectly well it runs,....if it is completely stock.

My 07 was completely stock, and it was ok,.....but it was not running correctly at intermedeiate speeds, so I fixed it w/ the spacer mod.

My bro has the same bike, and is completely stock. His runs exactly the same way, but he is ok w/ it that way. You don't have to mod a new bike, but if you want it to run correctly, you'll probably have too.

BTW, we both get 45-50 mpg, and both stock bikes afterfire on deceleration, and they both go "poof" when they shut down. Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/05/09 at 10:25:15

Ebikerman;
I honestly don't believe The "Render unto Ceasear" rule applies here. (If the EPA outlawed Church buses, would you stand for that? I doubt it) This motorcycle is your private property owned soley by you. "Freedom" is as much a Christian principal as anything else. Make the modifications you feel are needed and sleep sound at night.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #13 - 10/05/09 at 10:42:13

My '06 is completely stock and I can get it to backfire when I use engine braking when I'm coming down an exit ramp and I haul in the clutch.  It's worse on 90+ degree days, but I can pretty much do it all the time.  I also usually get a tiny poof on shutdown.

I don't seem to get any surges and I seem to have plenty of power and no overheating issues.

The only two things that I've done are was for the first 2500 miles or so I ran nothing but super unleaded in it and I turned the idle screw (the one on the left side of the carb) in about 1/4 turn since it seemed the idle was a tad low after the 600 mile service.

I'm getting between 55 and 60 mpg on a commute loop that's about 15% interstate and 85% surface streets.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/05/09 at 10:49:45

I've always wanted to take apart a carb and rebuild it, but I'm too afraid since I have very very limited mechanical skills (I can change oil and filter and air filter and inflate tires!  Tongue ) and I don't like the idea of not being able to ride because I did something stupid and can't get the bike back together.  But I really really want to learn more about the mechanical side of having a motorcycle. but I think I'll start with inspecting the spark plug first, if I can squeeze that in this weekend between classwork

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:31:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone have an S40 with an unmodified carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.