Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neutral Light was weird but now it's not working (Read 98 times)
easywriter
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Neutral Light was weird but now it's not working
10/03/09 at 09:56:59

The neutral light on my 2003 Savage only come on when the bike was in neutral and the clutch was depressed.

This made it hard for me to warm the bike up because I usually start the bike and leave it in neutral with the kickstand down while I get my gear on.

Now the neutral light isn't coming on! What's wrong? How do I fix it? Thanks!

Riding in the Land of Oz with a 2003 Suzuki Savage 650.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Neutral Light was weird but now it's not worki
Reply #1 - 10/03/09 at 10:18:54

Had a similar problem with my turn signal turned out that I had pinched 2 wires together when I put on the tank

WWW   IP Logged
easywriter
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #2 - 10/03/09 at 11:03:58

verslagen1 wrote on 10/03/09 at 10:18:54:
Had a similar problem with my turn signal turned out that I had pinched 2 wires together when I put on the tank

The neutral light did not totally go out until I filled up the tank! Before that, I only used a gallon. (I only had the bike a month, and I'm slowly restoring it). I suppose the extra weight of the gas could have caused something to pinch.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/03/09 at 13:50:42

If thats true, then wiggling the tank may expose the problem. Look at the connector under the tank. If its not seated, stuff gets weird just before it stops running.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
easywriter
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #4 - 10/03/09 at 15:40:18

Quote:
stuff gets weird just before it stops running.

Yeah, I was thinking the kickstand shut-off sensor was related to this problem. But "stuff gets weird," makes me understand the situation better. I don't see anything loose under the tank, but I'm thinking about pulling it off. (Might as well change the spark plug while I'm there).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/03/09 at 15:51:11

It'd be a great time to do the head cover "door" mod. No need to ever pull the tank to get to the plug again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/03/09 at 16:21:58

I had a similar problem after my wiring harness got pinched by the  bracket after I did the seat lift mod.  Good luck.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 10/03/09 at 17:44:04

Intermittant problems are usually a loose connector or a wire that has seem better days.

Since your's is a 2003, I would lean torwards a loose connector somewhere.    If the light is going out and the bike shutting down, most likely it's in the neutral circuit.  The way the circuit works,  when in neutral, two brass connectors in the tranny line up and make an electrical  "ground" to the tranny metal, and a "complete circuit" (remember your school science classes??).  But,  if the connector is loose or comes a part, you do not get the "complete circuit".  A burned out light buld shouldn't shut down the bike since it's on the other side of the sidestand diode thingy.

You will need to pull off the seat and the tank.   Then you should see a single blue wire  along the frame backbone.  There should also be a connector there.  Look there first.  Then trace the wire down the frame to see if it's pinched or cut somewhere.  It ends up down on the case by the oil level site glass.

Good Luck.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:40:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Neutral Light was weird but now it's not working

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.