Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with base gasket question (Read 110 times)
BillP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie with base gasket question
10/02/09 at 05:43:14

Hi guys.. here's my question. Just had new tires and a gasket job done on my bike.  I have less that 100 miles on the work that was done. I get to getting off of the highway this morning, the engine seems to be warbling slightly when I get on the throttle.
When I park my bike, I notice that I have an oil leak at the base gasket. Enough to put a light layer of oil on the chrome battery cover.  Is it possible that the bolts could need to be retorqued this quickly or is it a bad gasket? I plan on bringing it back to the mechanic this afternoon. Just want to know what I may be up against

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Newbie with base gasket question
Reply #1 - 10/02/09 at 07:44:00

Take it back to the place that did the work and complain.  If they are a real shop, they have a warranty on the work they do.

=============

Problem -- shops don't know how to work on this bike as the young kid they had work on the last one went off to college and didn't come back.

The kid they just told to go work on it had to borrow the needed tools from an older mechanic, the older more careful guy who might have had a fighting chance to do a better job of it.

But he is the real mechanic, and that single cylinder bike was just the thing to give young Bobby Broompusher over there to work on.

=============

Consider working on your own bike.  At least then the repairman will take the time to ask questions and keep good notes about how he took it apart.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BillP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/02/09 at 08:11:46

Thanks for the info. I have used this mechanic a few times before. He used to work for a Harley Dealership and started his own business at his Dad's Garage. I have had his Dad do a lot of work on my vehicles and am very pleased with the work.
Just an update on the issue. He is glad to take it back and fix whatever the issue is. I didn't notice it earlier but, it looks like the speedo cable was loose where it went into the transmission it was also covered in oil. When I head home from work I will see if that fixed the problem. I guess its possible a leak from there could spray enough oil to look like it was leaking from the base gakset.

Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/02/09 at 14:03:00

Yeah.. having that speedo cable loose down there could cause some oil to spit.
He (or someone) may have lost the o-ring that is suppose to be in there as well.
Sure hopes that the extent of the problem!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
BillP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/02/09 at 14:12:31

Looks like the speedo cable was the issue. I rode the bike the roughly 28 miles home from work and didn't see any evidence of a leak. I will keep an eye on it over the next week or so. My mechanic did say he would make good if there were any issues.
I think in the spring I will grab a repair manual and go over some of the stuff myself. I wouldn't mind saving money in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

IP Logged
BillP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/05/09 at 04:56:36

UPDATE: I guess I was wrong. Back to work this morning after not riding the bike all weekend (due to weather). Same problem.. Oil all over the place.. I was able to trace at least part of the leak to the head gasket. Back to the shop this afternoon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:45:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with base gasket question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.