Send Topic Print
reassembly (Read 376 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

reassembly
10/01/09 at 21:52:33

Got my engine back in the frame but man...i just gotta vent...why doesn't anything go back together as easily as it comes apart.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: reassembly
Reply #1 - 10/01/09 at 22:27:56

ONly thing I know of that is hard to get apart & easy to put back together is a pair of magnets.

Sometimes when we take something apart, if enough care is taken, its possible to consider just HOW we will go about getting it back in there, but usually, we just get stuff apart as well as we can & just hope it goes back. Ive pulled starters out of cars that I was almost certain I would have to pull an exhaust or bend it, but finally, it comes out. Getting the new one in? Every bit as hard,,Its just the way it, man..Aint it FUN!!??
You won, tho,Right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/02/09 at 20:47:14

No. Its all back together and wont start...and im about to set it on fire and kill myself. Seriously.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 10/02/09 at 21:12:59

Well IF yer gonna kill yerself, dont set it on fire, okay? Probably isnt really too far out of whack & theres no good reason to ruin a good bike on yer way out.
So, what all did you do in there? What have you checked? How does it sound?  If you messed with the cam chain & it sounds funny, you may have it out of time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 10/02/09 at 21:39:24

Yeah what he said. Also, no cheap-ass $2500 bike is worth getting too upset about.  You could set fire to it and just start over with another one, losing a few week's pay.  

But we know you won't do that, because the same characteristics that had you pulling the whole engine out for rebuild in the first place, will have you fixing the problem in way less time than you've already spent.  Wink  I think it's called the previous investment trap.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/02/09 at 21:49:19

I wont set it aflame yet. If you've read my lastest post on the forum upgrades section though you can pretty well geuss that my bike is basically my only hobby and joy aside from a girl who's been no good for me so far(thats a whole other story). Been without riding for 3 weeks doing all this work. Finally getting it all back together and having no go on ignition just makes me so depressed i could vomit on myself involuntarily. Anyway...knee-jerk reaction.

Im not getting any spark at all. Thats the only issue I've found so far. Hopefully the only one. It puzzles me though that either a plug or coil could go bad just having not been used for 3 weeks. Checked all the wiring. Nothing is loose pinched crossed or burned out. I'll get a new plug tomorrow before work. If that isnt it...ugh...it would be my kind of luck.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 10/02/09 at 22:17:59

There you go.  If you had the generator/pickup coil apart, something may have gotten out of whack there.  Resistance across the pickup coil (easy to check by the orange and green wires under left side cover) should be around 220 ohms.  I doubt it's the spark plug, but I bet you'll have it going withing 2 days, crisp autumn air and girly-troubles blowing away in the wind.  Cool

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/03/09 at 15:13:02

It's not always like that. Sometimes yo can cheat.
Read my thread on silly noid.  By the time I had frustrated myself enough gettigthe thing out of the parts bike, I figured how to cheat when working on the good one.

Pheloniu

Phelonius
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 10/03/09 at 18:19:06

No spark,  had the engine out....  check ALL the connectors to make sure they are fully seated.  And,  check the kill switch is in the on/run position. (trust me on this one  Roll Eyes , very common issue).  Aaaaaa.... is the engine ground wire is hooked up ....yes?

Getting the engine back in is a pain, even more so when you buy the bike with the engine in pieces like I did.  No clue how it came apart.... like a puzzle putting it back together.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/03/09 at 18:42:14

It's all a process of elimination. Go through the systems one at a time to eliminate the ones that work. What ever is left is at fault.
I do not know if you have had experience with savage before but there are several safeties that are designed to not let the engine run when they are activated.
If you have a volt- ohmmeter it is easier.
When the key is on, does the headlight light up? If so then the key switch apparantly works. When you press the start button, does the headlight go out? It should because a power saving circuit temporarily shuts the light off to shunt all power to the starter and spark and compression release.
Next check the kickstand shut off switch. Trace the two wires back to the connecter where they enter the wire loom. (hint, it is under the seat and on my bike green in color for the connecters. Pull the connecters apart and at the upstream end temporarily put a small jumper wire between the two contacts. Try to start. If no spark, check the same sort of circuit on the clutch at the handlebar.
You said no spark. Does the engine actually turn over? If so does it turn over briskly or laborously?
Just check each system one at a time untill you finally corner the gremlyn and evict it.
The basic needs are to have compression, fuel mix,spark at the exact time it s needed. lack of any one of these is enough to prevent starting.
If you have spark but no ignition, the sequence of valve timong and spark timing may be wrong meaning that the cam is timed wrong.
Commonly this means 180 or 360 degrees out of time due to misunderstanding the timing marks upon assembly.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 10/03/09 at 18:47:26

Phelonius ,
Do you remember what year they added the Head-light off at start power saving circuit??  My 2001 didn't have it.  The 2001 also did not have 4-way flashers that the newer bikes do....  wonder if they are added at the same time  Huh

T. Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/03/09 at 21:46:35

It cranks just fine.Sounds great doing it. It just never gets past that. All the lights work. Horn works. All safety's work except the kickstand which i disabled when installing ed ls controls. I bought a new plug to see but left it at work in my jacket. I did have the generator cover open but only to change a leaky gasket. What coudl I have screwed up? My timing on the cam is perfect i assure you. I assembled, checked, wasnt quite perfectly on so i did it again. Im spot on.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/03/09 at 22:02:13

Cam timing, valves. Maybe pop the valve cover on the exhaust, bring it to TDC & see if you have any slack in the valves.

If I had an engine that just wouldnt fire, but had spark, Id spray some WD40 in the intake,

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/03/09 at 22:18:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/03/09 at 22:02:13:
Cam timing, valves. Maybe pop the valve cover on the exhaust, bring it to TDC & see if you have any slack in the valves.

If I had an engine that just wouldnt fire, but had spark, Id spray some WD40 in the intake,

Timing is dead on. Im certain of it. Lobes down, marks aligned, piston at TDC. I set the valve lash before I put the engine back in and even set them a little loose in case. .005 rather than .003/4 and i turned the engine over several times by hand to be CERTAIN i was at TDCC. I was Hoping to do all this work real quick, break in the new rings, and head south by halloween. Im getting less hopeful on that count

« Last Edit: 10/03/09 at 23:26:15 by BurnPgh »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 10/04/09 at 06:50:09

Get it past the slide, hold it open & squirt some "On up in yonna", If it bucks, snorts or does anything different, its a good thing. Dont use a lot & get the plug all wet..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:22:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › reassembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.