Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: reassembly
Reply #15 - 10/04/09 at 07:52:09

Since there's no spark, you can still test for spark without a plug by just sticking a piece of solid wire (or maybe even coat hanger) into the plug boot and see if that either shocks you  Grin or will spark when the end is near the engine.  

The shop manual specifies some kind of threadlocking procedure when assembling the generator/pickup (let me know if you need a *cough* excerpt from the manual) but I'd check resistance across that and the coil first.  Hopefully you can find the problem without too much effort.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/04/09 at 08:14:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/04/09 at 06:50:09:
If I had an engine that just wouldnt fire, but had spark, Id spray some WD40 in the intake,
Get it past the slide, hold it open & squirt some "On up in yonna", If it bucks, snorts or does anything different, its a good thing. Dont use a lot & get the plug all wet..

DUUUH,, Sorry, I missed the "No Spark"

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/04/09 at 11:10:31

From what I gather the thread locking is for if the generator is actually disassembled but it wasnt. The cover came off, new gasket, cover went back on. I'll re-read the manual again but I still cant see where I've gone wrong. I'll go to work and get that new plug I bought and see and work my way back, but really, if its anything but a loose connection , some strange misassembly on my part or bad plug I can't fix it before it time to go. My buddy has a waste veggie oil diesel bus and he's leaving the same time i planned to. I'd rather save my money and go with him right now than have to buy a new coil or whatever else might be a costly issue.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 10/04/09 at 11:24:08

I'm thinking it's just an assembly problem.
check all the little black boxes
their wire colors should nearly match the harness colors although not always every color exactly.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 10/04/09 at 19:02:57

Using old plug?     Hmmmmmm....  Huh  

Jog my memory here.  Did you have the engine apart , Jug off?  If so, what did you use for assembly lube?  

My thought pattern is maybe something coated the plug, shorting it.  Maybe you have HV but not spark across the gap becuase a chemicl is shorting the ceramic.  (remember, simple stuff first.....)

Try pulling the plug slightly away from the ground source (engine??) and see if it sparks across the air gap.  NOTE,  make sure you are isolated from the metal of the bike or you might light up your life ....   Shocked

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 10/04/09 at 19:06:10

Cleaning a plug with a wire brush or even gas can wreck it. If theres any doubt, Get a new one. Even new ones Can be bad,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/04/09 at 20:15:19

had NOTHING to do with any of the work i've done. One of the pins on the connector to the CDI box was slightly corroded. Cleaned it fired her up and went for a quick spin around the block. Stimpy was right. Those new rings get the jug hot real real fast

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 10/04/09 at 20:31:41

Now arent you glad you didnt waste any gas burning that thing????

Way to go Man!

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #23 - 10/04/09 at 21:43:10

Yep.. 2 days to fixed.. or less  Cheesy

Congratulations dude!!

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/08/09 at 12:39:32

okay so....whenever i start the bike up i get a fair amount of white(oil) smoke until it warms up. When I say fair...i mean a lot. BUT, onc eit warmed up it stops, and it only does it the first start up of the day. Each day the smoke also gets less and less to begin with but it's still quite a bit. I read on the Rebel forum that this is normla for new rings and as they break in it will smoke less until it stops all together. Kind of looking for reassurance.

On the up side...compression is DEFINATELY better. More torque, better accel.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 10/10/09 at 22:20:18

nobody?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 10/11/09 at 00:06:26

I got no ideas, man, glad you got it going, but smoking on startup after all you did? I have no idea,,sorry.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 10/11/09 at 00:12:25

First fresh startup it smoked for about a minute. Second time it smoked for about 30 seconds. Third time for 10-15 seconds. Im only mildly worried, but...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 10/11/09 at 08:05:34

Well, sounds like iits gettin better,keep at it, man,, keep at it.OR, take it all apart & see Why its doin that.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #29 - 10/11/09 at 14:03:32

How many miles do you have on the rebuild??   I recall break-in for ring is  500.

I hope you did NOT use synthetic oil ....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:25:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › reassembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.