Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rusty tank... (Read 245 times)
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rusty tank...
Reply #15 - 10/02/09 at 19:20:36

I tried the rust kit from JC Whitney but I never bothered with the poly coating. I mixed up the acid with water- use muriatic acid from harware- masonry section- cleaning bricks. It eats the rust clean and leaves a shiny metal surface behind. My tank sat 19 years unused and rusted. The only thing is that once the rust is off, the metal is unprotected. Fill it with gas right away when dry, after you rinsed all of the acid out with water. Hot sun helps. About a day to eat the rust. Have the tank and pretcock off the bike. You'll have to make up your own plug for the petcock hole. I used some old innertube cut like a gasket and the filter off the petcock and screwed it back on.  
I tried the gravel bit and gave up after two minutes. Besides that fine sediment can do a job in you motor. Pennies are big for the corners.

If the rust goes all of the way through you'll have seal your tank with a polymer to stop the leaks.  I think your could also use battery acid- -sulfuric acid. I've used that to strip steel of rust when I am forging and want to varnish it.

Good luck

TC

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/02/09 at 19:27:08

about acid- I've mixed it up in one of those plastic white pails- does great, stores well and the pails usually have a cover (laundry soap bucket) Glass is best, but plastic pail is nice to use to clean up small parts too. If you get it on your skin just rinse with water. Don't inhale it and watch the eyes. -otherwise fine- like putting acid in a battery- just be sensible.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #17 - 10/03/09 at 18:39:29

just for the sake of throwing it out there, the works is muratic acid. Cool

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 10/04/09 at 07:50:15

Also for the sake of clarity, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid by another name.

When I tried to clean rust out of an old motorcycle tank, I used some hardware type nuts I had on hand. I felt the relatively sharp corners on the nuts would help break the rust, and the nuts would not break apart as gravel might. You could also use a length of chain (not drive chain, but the sort of chain used with a padlock to secure something).

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #19 - 10/04/09 at 12:58:26

Ive found BB's or ball bearings and old gas to work best to knock out the rust but make sure to recoat it so wont rust again available at local parts store

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 10/05/09 at 08:22:36

BB's are hard to get out.
Chain I have done, but it can get stuck on bikes that have the inside lines, like my virago or GS tanks.
My favorite for a tank is muriatic acid, least fuss and inspite of the word acid, the safest IMHO, cos its very fast and involves the least physical movement of a heavy tank and its disposal is relatively tension free as well.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 10/06/09 at 15:02:52

Best method I found on the internet was to fill the tank with something that will break the rust apart (sand,rocks,bb's,nuts and bolts), then cover both fill and petcock hole with lots of tape so nothing will come out.  Then wrap the heck out of the tank in thick blankets and such and tape them so they wont come undone (just acts as a cushion around the tank).  Then put it in the dryer on the setting with no heat for an hour or so and let  your homemade sandblaster go to work!--just dont let the wife catch you Wink  Then pull it out, unwrap the blankets and open up the fill hole and dump out the media you filled the tank with.  Out will come all the rust and the inside of the tank will be left clean metal.

I used this method and then I used Bill Hirsch's products for cleaning and coating the inside of rusty tanks and mine to this day (over a year later) looks brand new and works like a charm!!  

P.S.  The stock petcock will probably be useless since the screen will be caked and covered in rust particles.  If you are doing this on a Savage I would recommend converting the petcock to the Yamaha Raptor petcock and never look back.  

HTH

-Matt

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 10/06/09 at 15:34:47

I love the idea of sticking the tank in the dryer...
The ingenuity of it!....  
But no way is a V-star tank gonna' fit in there... it's huge!...
I'm gonna' file that one away for the future though... Wink
It's been mentioned a couple times here,.. never would have thought of it myself...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:40:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rusty tank...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.