Send Topic Print
other size shocks? (Read 351 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: other size shocks?
Reply #15 - 10/03/09 at 18:20:11

The S40 has a short travel rear suspension,Motorcycle companies make motorcycle so they can carry two people If a guy weight 150 and the girl 100 that would be 250 pounds,Few people would be that light,That why a longer and softer shock will work much better for most people.I've had a lot of bikes its by far the hardest ride I every felt.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #16 - 10/03/09 at 22:24:27

Ok so I just got done measuring and confirmed: adding 2 inches of shock is a no-go with the Dyna muffler, probably even worse clearance problems with the fatass stock muffler.  Here's how I measured it, jacked up the bike, removed shocks and measured distance between bolts:

11 3/4 would be the maximum.  At this point I had shimmed the back tire up so that the muffler and swingarm were about to hit.

Here's what would bonk together. Axle bolt and swingarm against the muffler at the same time.

Oh well, no 12.5" shocks for me.  I like the Dyna muffler way too much to change it.  Maybe I'll change to 11.5 inch shocks if they happen to fall into my lap. Somebody who's running a Sportster muffler should get those 12.5" Progressives off Ebay.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 10/03/09 at 22:43:49

Sorry to hear Boule'tard,... but glad you caught the problem... Wink
I throw enough crap out there, something's bound to help someone sometime.... Huh

I didn't realize, that there is a length difference between Sporty and Dyna... Mine just says for 883 and 1200cc Harley...
How long is the Dyna?...  is it for 1340cc?"...

PS,.. after looking at it,... you could possibly shorten the muffler neck, and gain enough to clear?...  Lot of trouble though...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #18 - 10/04/09 at 04:35:47

What about puting a VERY slight bend in the neck of the muffler?  Is that possible? Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 10/04/09 at 07:41:18

Thanks for your responses, guys.  I still think the idea is really good and will certainly help others get their bike riding like a Cadillac.  

The Dyna muffler is probably the longest they make, designed for either the 80 or 88 cu.in. HD engine. It goes all the way from the sight glass to the rear axle on my bike.

It doesn't show so great in the photo, but the muffler is also about to hit the swingarm, not just the axle.. so shortening the neck would only solve one problem.  Bending the neck could work.. splay the muffler an inch outward.   I don't want to do that because I have the muffler bolted nice and tight to the rear mount, and I don't want to mess up the currently leak-free muffler/header joint and fitment of the heat shield.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 10/04/09 at 09:38:44

Somebody sneak over to the dealers with a tape, and check the length on a Suzuki Intruder 1400 shock,....  Bettcha' it bolts up too...
I'll try to get over there Tuesday... Wink
Closed Sun/Mon....

IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Reply #21 - 10/04/09 at 19:26:06

boy this short travel thing is starting to look like "grin & bear it" may be the best answer to my problem. I'll take the hard ride and be a man  Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 10/05/09 at 01:15:32

sansone wrote on 10/04/09 at 19:26:06:
boy this short travel thing is starting to look like "grin & bear it" may be the best answer to my problem. I'll take the hard ride and be a man  Wink

Never give up!...  This bike is born to be messed with... Wink

I'm beginning to think, something did change somewhere in the production line...
I'm about 150lbs,... and my 97' would bottom out on big ruts...
On my buddy Nick's 04'?... It won't budge with him on it,... and I can only move it, maybe half an inch...
Maybe, it's time for an experiment?.... Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:25:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › other size shocks?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.