Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: ammo box installed!
Reply #30 - 10/06/09 at 11:03:45

can i install the new plug? that doesn't leak? lol

if it takes 14 years to leak though, i'll be happy with that!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #31 - 10/14/09 at 05:01:48

dmike wrote on 10/01/09 at 08:18:24:
Rocco wrote on 09/30/09 at 11:36:24:
i am lookin into the oil leak i have, but if you're sittin on the bike all the oil is on the left side....is that still the plug? or is it that freaking bolt under the header? and y can't we just jb weld the plug cap? lol

The is exactly where my oil leak is, drivers left side, and I can't figure out where it is coming from.  It is such a slow leak that all I can tell is that it drips off a part of the kick stand and a part in towards the frame a little.  If you find anything out about your leak, let me know  Undecided

Rocco,
I just had my bike into the shop for my oil problem, and other things but they don't pretain here.  They replaced an "oil plug gasket" or something very close to that?  I think that is what the guy told me, but at the time I was just thinking, "thanks God it only cost 2 dollars".   It was so cheap because earlier this year when I bought the bike I had them do a 10 point inspection so they just did this for free since it was close to then and they should have found this problem at that point  Shocked .  If you didn't get your oil leak problem fixed let me know and I will call them to find out exactly what they did.  

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #32 - 10/14/09 at 06:16:36

My local dealer was ridiculing my love for the savage (have owned 6) and they said that ... ewwwww ... leaking ... always, how many head gaskets have we replaced on them .. .and they always leak right there ... again.

I literally laughed and exploded in anger at the same time. They hit people with a 500-700 job when it oughta be done in under 100. And actually work.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #33 - 10/14/09 at 09:01:46

that's just downright theft. i hate mechanics, i do everything i can on my own and luckily i have a good friend who is an honest mechanic. i didn't say cheap, i said honest! lol

i'm just throwing the idea around, i don't leak very much, so i'll probably just keep adding oil. especially since it's going to be winter down here, which means 70 degree days !!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #34 - 10/15/09 at 04:17:24

This should probably be it's own thread but since it is here.

This is what the part is listed as on the bill, "gasket oil GALL".  It was .97 cents.  Now, if someone knows where that goes it would be helpful  Roll Eyes

I don't blame you on not taking it in.  I wouldn't have taken my bike in either except it is 40 degrees here now and I don't plan on going for many more rides.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #35 - 10/15/09 at 09:03:56

i hate you for your warm winters in florida. i live in pa and its going to be in the low 40s and raining for the next few days!

a slow leak like yours i wouldn't worry about. its easy to just keep an eye on the oil level, but if dmike can get a pic of that gasket and its easy to get to, it could be a worthwhile fix.

on a side note to one of the earlier posts, the side rails do support the fender. they provide a connection between the front part with actual structural supports to the back where the passenger rest is (on older ones anyway). take that rest off and you can watch the fender flex between the rails. you should be alright without them as long as the passenger weighs less that, saaaay, 250lb? and dont try to land any jumps with her on there either  Tongue

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #36 - 10/15/09 at 13:16:22

haha the weather is said to drop here....to around 70 i heard...that's gonna be sweeeet!

i don't mind keepin an eye on oil level. we have an old nissan that leaks a quarter quart a week, been runnin like that for ten years lol!!

and my girl weighs less then i do, gained a little weight recently so i'm @ 175.

i dropped 10 pounds due to stress, was @ 155....i hated it so i started eating and working out more. i got back on the scale about a month later and i gained 20 pounds lol

so with my weight 175 and my girls, i think she's 140(i love em thick!!) that's not too much load for my thumper is it? with a k&n, sporty muffler, and rejet?

IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #37 - 10/16/09 at 09:08:47

I don't know  that I can get a picture of it.  It was a dollar gasket, and I was hoping someone would have known which one it was by the name of it (its in my last post I believe).

I'm in PA as well groupus, HBG.  Where are you at?

Rocco, I don't think that is too much weight at all.  I'm 220 and had 110lbs on the back seat before (I think she was 110, maybe 100 - I like 'em thin  Roll Eyes )?    

I do envy your weather this time of year, but not in the summer.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 10/16/09 at 09:22:46

dmike wrote on 10/15/09 at 04:17:24:
This is what the part is listed as on the bill, "gasket oil GALL".  It was .97 cents.  Now, if someone knows where that goes it would be helpful  Roll Eyes

Oil drain plug washer

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #39 - 10/16/09 at 12:37:30

u know the 2 months that it's brutal down here is made up by the entire winter ! it'll be tshirt weather, no humidity and breezy for a while!

BUT i have to mow the lawn on christmas eve lol that i'm still gettin used to!

and i'm glad i'm not puttin too much of a load on my beast!!

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 10/16/09 at 18:55:28

Rocco, the .30 cal ammo box is just the right size for this bike. They are good at keeping water out and very tough. You did a great job of mounting it. Looks great!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #41 - 10/16/09 at 20:59:25

thank u very much my brotha!! my dad's a marine and was thrilled that i put it on there!

they are tough little things, i thought i'd have to insulate the holes but i haven't had a problem yet!

i also looked @ .50 cal boxes, although they'd hold alot more, it would have looked odd lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 23:28:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ammo box installed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.