ammo box installed! (Read 736 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: ammo box installed!
Reply #15 - 09/30/09 at 23:47:09

haha i'm actually surprised the belt guard is still on myself...u never know!!

and i still haven't decided if i want to put the other one on...i def don't want to look like a mini road king lol the shotgun sounds like a much better idea!

it's a .30 cal box, the .50 was huge! i coulda made it into a tank instead of a saddle bag lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #16 - 10/01/09 at 05:24:38

I have two  .50 Cal Cans  Thought about it but am trying to figure out about the belt guard issue.

what about making a bracket to take it out past the belt guard, of course it would have to be done on both sides to equalize the weight.

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 10/01/09 at 07:18:06

kel30734 wrote on 10/01/09 at 05:24:38:
what about making a bracket to take it out past the belt guard, of course it would have to be done on both sides to equalize the weight.

Bah, just raise the box a little.  That may even help with passenger comfort and that rattle.  Depending on girlfriend buttock size of course  Grin

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #18 - 10/01/09 at 08:16:19

haha girlfriend behind should always be the first consideration before any mod past your seat !!  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #19 - 10/01/09 at 08:18:24

Rocco wrote on 09/30/09 at 11:36:24:
i am lookin into the oil leak i have, but if you're sittin on the bike all the oil is on the left side....is that still the plug? or is it that freaking bolt under the header? and y can't we just jb weld the plug cap? lol

The is exactly where my oil leak is, drivers left side, and I can't figure out where it is coming from.  It is such a slow leak that all I can tell is that it drips off a part of the kick stand and a part in towards the frame a little.  If you find anything out about your leak, let me know  Undecided

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #20 - 10/01/09 at 09:33:49

dmike wrote on 10/01/09 at 08:18:24:
The is exactly where my oil leak is, drivers left side, and I can't figure out where it is coming from.  

Have you guys tried the deodorant trick?  Clean up the cylinder and spray it with some of that white underarm deodorant ("Right Guard" if they still make it).  Then fire it up and look for the 1st dark spot on the deodorant, right where the leak is.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #21 - 10/01/09 at 12:30:11

kel30734 wrote on 10/01/09 at 05:24:38:
I have two  .50 Cal Cans  Thought about it but am trying to figure out about the belt guard issue.

If you hang the box out on a bracket, you may have a problem with the weight causing the bracket (or fender) to flex. I have a top and side cases hung out on brackets, but I got around the flex problem by removing the pillion and substituting a top rack.  The side cases are hung from steel straps that form an inverted "U" shape with the top flattened to form the rack's base. This way, the brackets simply support the vertical weight of the cases.

IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #22 - 10/02/09 at 07:34:16

Boule’tard wrote on 10/01/09 at 09:33:49:
dmike wrote on 10/01/09 at 08:18:24:
The is exactly where my oil leak is, drivers left side, and I can't figure out where it is coming from.  

Have you guys tried the deodorant trick?  Clean up the cylinder and spray it with some of that white underarm deodorant ("Right Guard" if they still make it).  Then fire it up and look for the 1st dark spot on the deodorant, right where the leak is.

I can try this.  But my leak is so slow.  After a day I might get a few drops on the pavement.  I'm debating taking it to the suzuki shop, I really don't want to pay them but I don't have my own garage.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 10/02/09 at 08:02:51

Savage oil leak is usually from that head plug. The thing will go through and leak on the left cos the right has the cam chain tunnel and typically it wont leak past that.
Its on the right, but gravity, side stand, and laws of physics prevent it form leaking on the right side.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #24 - 10/02/09 at 08:52:58

oh ok, the plug is next to the header right? kind of recessed in the head.

y can't we just jb weld over it ? lol

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #25 - 10/02/09 at 10:05:50

Rocco wrote on 10/02/09 at 08:52:58:
oh ok, the plug is next to the header right? kind of recessed in the head.

y can't we just jb weld over it ? lol

Because then you would have trouble getting to the head bolt just below it if you ever needed a head gasket, ring job, re-bore, etc.  (I figure you already knew this, but wanted to educate newbies who might not have known.) Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #26 - 10/02/09 at 10:16:45

I put 40mm grenade cans on my bike way back when.  They were good storage units, but I would recommend reinforcing the insides of the box with some steel.  After a while my boxes started bending out. Granted my boxes were much bigger, but it would pay off to do this now.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #27 - 10/02/09 at 10:30:50

those boxes are sick! i don't need to carry that much stuff with me, i just wanted to bring a hat or a soda without bringin a backpack!

what about the jb weld that u can ship off if need be, mine only has 8000 miles on her, so hopefully that stuff will be a while.

i cleaned her off and tried to watch where it was dripping from but i guess the leak isn't that fast.....

y can't i just radiator hose clamp or header wrap it? maybe throw a dew can on top of it lol!!

IP Logged
Frostnasty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/06/09 at 04:11:34

jabman wrote on 09/30/09 at 13:59:51:
that looks good im thinking of a ammo box on one side and a 1 gal steel fuel can on the other side

That sounds sweeeet!  Cool

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 10/06/09 at 09:21:44

That much heat, expansion and dissimilar materials I really think JB weld will fall off pretty soon.
Besides, the 95+ one is much better, so if you pull the head cover off, you might as well swap that $2 plug with the solid one.
Cool.
Srinath.

Rocco wrote on 10/02/09 at 10:30:50:
those boxes are sick! i don't need to carry that much stuff with me, i just wanted to bring a hat or a soda without bringin a backpack!

what about the jb weld that u can ship off if need be, mine only has 8000 miles on her, so hopefully that stuff will be a while.

i cleaned her off and tried to watch where it was dripping from but i guess the leak isn't that fast.....

y can't i just radiator hose clamp or header wrap it? maybe throw a dew can on top of it lol!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:16:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ammo box installed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.