serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
What did I do right?
09/29/09 at 09:02:25

Yesterday afternoon I got on the bike to leave work.  It turned over 2 or 3 times before starting, usually starts right up.  Idled rough and when I put it in gear it started off and then stalled.  I monkeyed some with the choke and could start it but it wouldn't stay cranked when I tried to roll away in first.  It seemed to be flooding out.  While thinking about what to do, I opened the oil fill and put in about a half pint cause I knew I was that low.  Got my tools out of the box, and used the flat screwdriver to turn the idle air screw.  (Actually the stock screwdriver is too wide to fit in the hole, so I filed it down some on the concrete.)  Richened the mix by turning counterclockwise about 1 full turn, as it had been at 1 1/2.  Opened the gas cap just to be sure it was as full as I thought; and it was, because I had just filled up about 16 miles ago.  Put my tools back in place, started her up and everything was fine again, drove 25 miles home.

So which of these things fixed it?  (1) Opening the oil fill cap; (2) adjusting the air screw; (3) opening the gas cap.

Probably not #1.  On #2, I had been feeling some slight surging at mid RPMs, so richening the mix probably helped, and indeed there is less surging now.  On # 3, there might have been a vapor lock of some kind that was relieved when I opened the cap.

Let me hear from you, Brain Trust! Cheesy

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What did I do right?
Reply #1 - 09/29/09 at 09:22:13

cold as heck back there?
would explain the need for it to be richer
but i'd have a look at you vents.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 09/29/09 at 10:11:18

Not real cold.  Temp down a few degrees, in the 70s, but humidity has dropped noticeably.  I've thought about that being a contributing factor maybe.  You think I should check the carb vents, huh?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/29/09 at 10:37:50

I think your gas cap vent may be plugged...  They can be disassembled and cleaned if that's it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 09/29/09 at 16:12:55

Could be stuck needle valve! I had similar episode before Roll Eyes

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 09/30/09 at 10:10:05

the high humidity here makes a HUGE difference in my savage performance.  that includes starts.

try adjusting the idle to compensate.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:30:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What did I do right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.