Send Topic Print
Backfiring (Read 123 times)
panda
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfiring
09/28/09 at 22:29:41

Every time I turn my Savage off...there is a backfire.  Sometimes really loud...other times not really noticable.  More often then not...it is loud.  Any ideas on how to make it stop.

Thanks

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Backfiring
Reply #1 - 09/29/09 at 00:45:51

Really?? Savage backfires? No way!  Wink

Just kidding, carburetor is set to run lean (less gas in mixture). There's at least 100 posts here about how to fix or minimize the backfire. Adjust your idle mixture screw a bit first.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/29/09 at 06:00:58

Always check to be sure that there are no air leaks in the exhaust in order to remove that as a source of the backfiring.  After that, the pilot circuit, as mentioned, is the primary source.  Turning the pilot adjusting screw counter clock wise will richen the mixture, and if you have a stock muffler, should be able to cure the backfiring problem.   If you have replaced the muffler with a HD dyna or something else, then a larger pilot jet may be needed to correct the mixture in the low throttle range.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/29/09 at 06:22:54

Come on now,.......has anyone really ever stopped the "afterfiring" ?
Isn't it really  the design more than the lean carb conditions. Mine is now running perfectly, no signs of running lean, nor does the plug show any, and it still sneezes at shutdown, and still bangs quite loud on decelleration. Minimize it a little, yes maybe, but fix the root of the problem,.....not from what I have done or read has been done Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/29/09 at 06:35:57

Stop it? Naah, bring it down from shotgun to rumble & enjoy it. Who doesnt love the sound of an old Pickup rolling up to a light, rumbling & grumbling? Same thing with a big single, just a bit more punctuated. If mine was quieter Id miss it. Tune the BANG out to a rumble & youll not anger the neighbors or upset the folks in the Hospital beds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 09/29/09 at 07:31:15

I'll never forget the first time I heard mine. Shocked
So I can imagine how every one around me feels when they hear it for the first time. Grin

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/29/09 at 08:19:24

Mine started doing it again, after it got cold...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 09/29/09 at 17:09:46

Making the  backfiring stop and making the engine silent are two different things.  I love the substantial sound of a big single at FULL SONG, especially on decelleration coming down from redline.  OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH YYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAA !!!!
There is nothing quite like it.  A quality exhaust system is absolutely necessary of course to get the very best quality sound from these fine machines.   Cool Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #8 - 09/29/09 at 17:27:10

Oh yea, i like it when it grumbles at me when im decelerating fast, grrrrrrpoprrrrpop rrrrrpop rrrrrrr rr

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #9 - 09/29/09 at 18:47:03

It works better than a horn sometimes.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:53:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.