Send Topic Print
Flat at 55 Fun (Read 423 times)
savageken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Flat at 55 Fun
Reply #15 - 09/28/09 at 21:20:41

hyosung is not the predessor to the savage.  Hyosung designed bikes for Suzuki for many years.  The comet 250cc is and has always been a 2 cylinder bike not a single cylinder thumper

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/28/09 at 21:37:53

China tires are notorious for catastrophic failure, not poor tread life. The belts come apart and the tires blow out.  The government is on their arse about this problem.  Do the research, see for yourself.  Just because someone's China tire didn't self destruct on him, doesn't mean yours won't.  Listen to what the motorcycle tire tests say.  Buy the best motorcycle tire you can afford.  Your bike's handling, your safety and the safety of other motorists is more important than being cheap.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/28/09 at 22:29:59

All I can say is im mildly scared now (running cheng shin). Luckily I had already planned on my next set being Harley 401 dunlops. Here's hoping I dont kiss pavement before then, eh?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/28/09 at 22:59:22

The majority of China tires don't fail.  Its their sloppy and corrupt manufacturing that causes some production runs to be defective.  These usually show up quickly. Case in point, a friend bought 4 new tires made in China from Big-O-Tires, here in CA.  After about 2 weeks, 2 of them showed sidewall bulges, and he took them back.  Big O was honest with him and did right by him.  They took the tires off the rims and showed him how the sidewall belts were separating, thus the bulges.  Big O said that in their experience, defects in China tires show up right away.  The problem is that the uninformed buyers who don't look things over every so often, don't see the defects when they appear and only find out once the tire comes apart.  My friend bought China tires because it was the only thing he could find in the area to fit his old VW Beetle.  I assume you've put plenty of miles on your tires, so in my amateur opinion, I would guess you aren't going to have a problem.  But I'd still replace them.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 09/29/09 at 05:12:42

I wouldn't worry about Chen Shin motorcycle tires,  they have been around since I was in college (I unloaded them by the truck load when I worked for Honda of Raleigh as my college summer job and that was back in the 70s).

Chen Shin started out by religiously copying the best designs by Dunlop and Metzler and they did a fairly good job of it.  With shipping from the orient the tires landed in the US at about 50% of what the big boys cost.  You might not like handling and they didn't last as long but they never self-destructed.

If Chen Shin bike tires ever had a self destruct issue nobody has heard about it in 40 years of selling bike tires.

Gort is talking about small start up car tire makers in China that are "leaving out components" in cheap tires that do meet all the local requirements for safety, etc. for where they were made (not a lot of tire safety rules in China or Indo-China for that matter).

What has US tire makers, the United Steel Workers Union and various US politicians madder 'n hell is whole cargo carrier loads of these sub-standard construction tires are moving through low rent American importers into the very bottom end of US distribution chain WEARING FAKED DOT APPROVAL STAMPS at prices a US tire maker can't even buy the base crude rubber for.  This constitutes dumping in US law.

Somebody is getting greased, somebody is subsidizing the mgfs and certainly several somebody's are breaking the law bringing in these tires with faked DOT clearances.

Just so you will know, DOT high speed high temp testing got more severe this past year (147 degrees ambient at 140 mph at full rated load).  Tires that did test to old DOT standards won't pass these new tests.  Japanese and Indo China standards are not nearly this severe, so there are lots of room for a start-up in China to "get all confused" about that new DOT rating.

Now, tires that were good enough 2 years ago not being good enough now -- does that make these tires unsafe?

Were they unsafe 2 years ago?

And let me tell you, there is one US mgf who shall remain nameless that had to upgrade 30% of all existing tire designs to get them to pass the new DOT high speed tests.

Does that mean that tires in inventory from 2 years ago are unsafe?  I know that that mfg put in a system to purge all inventory within a 3 year period (they scrapped them) to make sure no old tires survived -- but do you think the Chinese did?

Hell no, they dumped them before any deadlines approached.  They shipped them to some unscrupulous US importer's head buyer who wanted something to run in the paper on Thanksgiving weekend Black Friday sale.

Greed and money --  Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/29/09 at 09:29:30

The Big O Tire chain sells new stock China tires to this day, and some have had their belts separate.  This is fresh stock, not something that was dumped before the Thanksgiving sales.  I said it before and will say it again, being cheap is not always being smart.  Follow the advice of the many pros in this field, and buy the best tire you can afford.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #21 - 09/29/09 at 13:13:29

I don't know if it is a big a problem with motorcycle tires but on cars you need to check the age of the tire. New in the store tires might be 5 years old or more. Tires do exspire from age as well as wear. Even if they have never been installed on a vehicle.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/29/09 at 13:40:13

That applies to any motor vehicle tire.

IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #23 - 10/02/09 at 07:44:19

Quote:
DennisKirk.com SAME DAY SHIPPING, don't forget a new rimstrip:

Metzeler ME880 140/80-15 part# 540233 $119.99
IRC Inner Tube for above, part# 535379 $10.99
Kenda Rim Strip for above, part # 535195 $1.50
$5.00 to ship.  $137.48 to the door.

Substitutes:
Cheng Shin Rear C822 Marquis 140/90H-15 Blackwall Tire, closeout, only 2 left, $51.79 ($69.28 to the door)
Pirelli Rear MT66-Route 140/90H-15 Blackwall Tire  $77.99
Dunlop Rear K555 140/80H-15 Blackwall Tire $79.99

Thanks everybody,

I just ordered Dunlop Rear K555 140/80H-15 Blackwall Tire and the inner tube and rim strip from Dennis Kirk.  

I already have a set of rear brakes don't know if I'll need them but I was thinking of changing them anyway!

I did start a conversation going with this one. Tongue

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #24 - 10/03/09 at 16:21:40

May as well do the rear brake shoes while you have the rear wheel off. Probably one of the most neglected parts, for the simple reason that you have to take the rear wheel off to get to them.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:37:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flat at 55 Fun

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.