Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike stalling when put into gear. (Read 237 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Bike stalling when put into gear.
Reply #15 - 09/29/09 at 08:46:18

babyhog wrote on 09/29/09 at 08:04:10:
Stick around here Angie, you'll learn things you never even wanted to know.... LOL

BTW, mine doesn't have a kickstand light... as far as I know...

Thanks for putting that into words.I feel better already  Grin

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 09/29/09 at 08:50:39

There is no kickstand light

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 09/29/09 at 08:59:29

Yes there is if it's an '86

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 09/29/09 at 10:31:51

Owning a bike that does not have the interlocks,  I can say, there are safety interlocks that are good and some that make you scratch you head as to "what-were-they-thinking" .

Important one is the "If in gear, don't let it start unless clutch lever is pulled in" .   I want to figure out a way to install that on the XLH1100.     You haven't lived until you get jerked across the garage because you oops'd and started the bike in gear without pulling in the clutch lever.  Even worse is when you  "reach across" and start while standing next to the bike.   Trust me....  Embarrassed

-----------------------------------------------------

The side-stand switch is a head scratcher.  If you pull out with it down, first left turn you make it should touch and come up. Anyone that bumped the bike forward accidentally or parked on a hill the wrong way, knows that the side stand can fold up fairly easily.  While riding, it may be a bit of a thud and that might wake you up a bit.... so I guess the scare could cause you to crash.  

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, as for starting when the bike is in neutral, many bikes I had allowed you to start when in neutral without the clutch lever pulled in and still had the requirement to pull in the clutch lever when in gear. So,....  I modified the Savage to do the same and liked it a lot.  It's easily to do on the LS650/S40 and since the neutral switch is a non-adjustable switch you don't have to worry about it going out of adjustment.  HOW:  A fog light relay from the local auto parts store.  Placed under the tank, you can get switched power to run the actuator coil from the orange wire and then you can tap into the blue neutral light wire for the switched ground to complete the circiut.   Then the two "switch" leads of the relay go to the two Yellow/w green stripe wires in the fat connector under the tank, which are the clutch lever switch wires.   What happens is, when  neutral light is on, the relay engages, shorting out the clutch lever switch, effectively bypassing it.  But if in gear, the N light is not on so no relay power, so the lever needs to be pulled.  NOTE: the occasional pinched neutral light wire, where the light is always on, ALWAYS needs to be addressed even without this mod.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 09/29/09 at 12:44:14

Important one is the "If in gear, don't let it start unless clutch lever is pulled in" .   I want to figure out a way to install that on the XLH1100.     You haven't lived until you get jerked across the garage because you oops'd and started the bike in gear without pulling in the clutch lever.

If you are serious about it, If youd post the wiring diagram, start & ignition circuits, I bet we could figure out a way to go about it.
A pic of the clutch lever & the clutch actuator as it passes thru the case & surrounding area, too.

The Savage has a microswitch mounted up under the clutch lever with a tab hanging down to actuate it. Hopefully theres room up under the lever to mount a switch & attach a small tab to actuate the switch.Its a normally closed switch, held "Open" unless the clutch is pulled. When you go shopping for a switch, ask for a normally closed switch.

If theres no room there then may be down on the actuator arm & if not there, then a switch on the cable housing & an actuator that travels on the cable itself would work, but it might be a little trickier to do. But its doable.

As stated above,unless you go with a relay youll have to pull the clutch even in neutral.

SO, If I hit the starter switch & its in gear & I havent pulled the clutch, just exactly what is it that doesnt get the 12 volts?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 09/30/09 at 19:28:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/09 at 12:44:14:
Important one ..........

If you are serious about it, If youd post the wiring diagram, start & ignition circuits, I bet we could figure out a way to go about it.
A pic of the clutch lever & the clutch actuator as it passes thru the case & surrounding area, too.

The wire diag in the HD serv manual is not what I would call a professional creation.  Usable yes,  but it could have been drawn more to the standard electrical / electronic methods.   It's not the wiring I'm too concerned about, I am an electronic tech.  It's figureing out where to put a switch.  I do have some tiny lever type micro switches that are both NO & NC.    Other prioriies first though.  

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/09 at 12:44:14:
The Savage ..........

SO, If I hit the starter switch & its in gear & I havent pulled the clutch, just exactly what is it that doesnt get the 12 volts?

There is no power going to the starter switch, so it's like hitting nothing.   It's a little hard to trace on the wiring diagrams.  I did notice that the factory service manual wiring diagrams are easier to read than Clymers.  Well, for people have past experience reading wiring diagrams....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 09/30/09 at 20:45:32

Well, Unca Sam force fed me electronics for 9 months, so I am trained well enough to screw things up in less time than most folks, but I can help with this kind of thing well enough. Sounds like you know what to do as well as anyone tho. Holler if I can help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #22 - 10/01/09 at 07:40:25

I guess I always start in neutral anyway.  In fact, I just make sure its in neutral and fire it up before I get on.  Then I can get my helmet on, backpack, etc and by the time I mount up she's warmed up and ready to ride.

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #23 - 10/01/09 at 07:47:44

mack - had to laugh at your comment about reaching across your bike to start it and forgetting that it was in gear.  I was in the habit of leaving the Sportster in gear when I shut if off cause I was paranoid about it rolling.  When hubby would get on it to ride, he'd get rather testy that I had left it in gear.   Cool  So enough crabbing from him finally got me trained to shut it off in neutral.  Personally, even though Im the only one that rides the Savage, and I always shut it off in neutral, I still check to make sure the green neutral light is on before I fire it up.  I can only imagine how much I'd hear about it if I started my bike in gear and it tipped or ran into the Harley.   Undecided  

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike stalling when put into gear.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.