Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What if your battery dies (Read 638 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What if your battery dies
Reply #15 - 10/13/09 at 18:11:52

Or it cooked, plastic warped

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #16 - 10/13/09 at 18:16:18

(from experience 06 ls)
ran my battery down with the sound system while parked and the engine off..
got a jump from a brother rider got er runnin
hit the brakes or used the turn sigs not e nuff power for the "brain" cdi..bike learched to the pulse of the turn sigs...
SO let her run a good while(how long?)B4 riding after a jump..
that "batteries plus"batttery never took a good enuf charge after that..
have since installed a power port ( female cig lighter receptacle)on the
swing arm and have a male (plug) with a pos(+) lead neg(-) to starter mounting bolt...
use this receptacle to hook up low amp charger sometimes in the winter..also use as power for my mp3...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
whistler2000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/15/09 at 14:05:52

Yeah, I think it might have overcharged. I will check the voltage output once I get it back together. Painting the gas tank now. Don't really have to worry about freezing down here in Fla. just rain. Biketoberfest goin' on in Daytona this weekend. Will go to Rossmeyers on Sat.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 10/16/09 at 08:22:27

I weigh allmost 200# and have to be in third gear to keep the tire from sliding going down my paved driveway.  Only has happened a couple of times and have new battery now, but second didn't work.
That 100 watt alternator doin't do a lot.  To many short trips in a roll runs mine down too.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 10/16/09 at 12:52:59

They can swell from gas. Usually that is associated with heat also.

The savage will be very very very hard to start wihtout a good battery, you need the starter solenoid to work and decompress it a bit.
A 90% dead battery which opens the decompression mechanism but not spin the motor will be OK to push and hit the start buttom while bump starting in second gear. I have tried to push start and failed. I am plenty heavy, I just cant get it to turn over pushing it.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 10/18/09 at 11:32:56

bill67 wrote on 10/13/09 at 15:36:15:
  I don't see how it could be swollen unless it froze at one time.

I had a swollen battery on my truck.  It was boiling the water/acid. Steam coming out ... and the stink, yuk.    I thought it was over charging.  Dealer said the charge system (Voltage regulator) was fine.

I vaguely remember that my late grandfather had said the plates can go bad is such a way that they get hot (real hot) when charging.  He was retired from Exide (the battery company).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #21 - 10/18/09 at 17:04:38

I have a standard OEM stock battery that is going into it's 5th year of use. I remove it every fall, and store it in a heated basement on trickle charge all winter. Keep the cells up with distilled water too. Starts the bike perfectly every time.
I don't want to get stranded 100 miles from home, should I get a new battery?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 10/18/09 at 18:43:57

Batteries have normal lasted me 5 years,I never used a trickle ,But with a regular charger you can tell if the battery is good,When you put it on a charger the needle will go up if it has set a few days,and the needle will come down in 5-10 minutes if the battery is good. I don't charge my all winter if it starts in the spring I don't do any thing,If it don't i check the water and charge it,last spring I took it out to check the water it it didn't need any. Being it was out i put it on the charger a couple hour at 2 amps .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #23 - 12/14/09 at 21:01:41

An easy way to assure easy jumper cable access:

I modded mine for a quick, no-tools-needed jump start that activates the timer and the compression release mechanism.

I found a used battery ground cable from my old '81 GL1100.  I attached one end to the positive battery cable and insulated the bejeezus out of it.  Here is a pic:

Not pretty, but it works (just like my Savage).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 12/15/09 at 08:37:20

I see the pic, Digger, but Im just not quite following all the connections youve made. You say this fires the timer, too? Looks like the starter is wired straight to the bat tree,, Im lost..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 01/02/10 at 21:29:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/15/09 at 08:37:20:
I see the pic, Digger, but Im just not quite following all the connections youve made. You say this fires the timer, too? Looks like the starter is wired straight to the bat tree,, Im lost..

Sorry for the confusion.

The cable I've added dead-ends under the black rubber hose section I've used for a cover over the "hot" end of the cable.  There is no connection to the starter.

It DOES look like it in the photo though!   Embarrassed

All I need to do to jump this beauty is to pull the section of rubber hose off the end of my added cable,  connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's positive terminal and my added cable, and connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's negative terminal and any handy ground on my bike.

« Last Edit: 02/08/10 at 19:12:06 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 02/09/10 at 05:19:34

Ah HAAA! NOw I see it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What if your battery dies

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.