Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to put bags on your bike cheaply (Read 878 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
How to put bags on your bike cheaply
09/25/09 at 21:39:15

I told Master Yoda I wanted a brand new set of saddle bags for my XV535 backup bike, specifically a big set of bags that could carry a gallon jug of milk and other groceries.

He grunted, "New, why new?"

I explained that buying old bags through the internet was a crapshoot, sometimes you got something good, but most times the sacks you got were old and floppy, kinda like the old woman he's been dating ....

He smacked me with his cane for that one, but he got the point, I think.  
Kicked me out for the rest of the day though jest 'cause it was too too true.

==========

When I went back the next day he had two $20 bills laid out on the table.

"Budget for new bags" was all he said, then he pointed at my light saber and raised his left eyebrow.

Crap .... another Jedi test.   I hate these stupid tests.

"Master, may I have at least one hint?   <quote>: 'It is not good to start on a journey without a roadmap.'"

He likes them old obscure Jedi sayings, so this ought to get me something helpful.  

Or another whack with the cane, you never know.

"Hmmmmm .....  smartass are you?   Jafrum.  Leave your saber where you picked up money  --  information costly is, always.  Good that you know this - fact this is, young pup."

As I was leaving, he held up his cane.  I knew he had something else and here it comes ...

"Heavy, milk is -- no bag supports are you allowed.  Overcome challenge without showing solution -- mysterious to all outside observers is the Jedi way."

=============

I'm so screwed.   This is gonna be tough ....

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 13:04:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: How to put bags on your bike cheaply
Reply #1 - 09/25/09 at 22:12:08

I hit Dogpile with "Jaffram" to see what sort of information value I paid my lightsaber for.  Generally, the old swamp rat charges more than the info is worth, but since he makes the rules you get what you get.

=============

Dogpile, I guess I can tell you guys about the "secret" Jedi search engine -- it is an old many times refined metasearch engine that uses the 5 current best search engines to simo search the topic you put in, then it pre-screens the spew of data for relevance, ranking the hits by arcane algorithms that seem to read your mind (heck, it might for all I know) .

Dogpile is Google, and Ask, and Yahoo and others -- refined and made relevant.  If it is out there Dogpile will run go get it for you.  First shot is generally a spot on hit.  Dogpile went out, found it, realized I didn't know how to spell it and gave it to me anyway.

Us Jedi don't have time to spend looking for stuff ... we got to move fast, look good and be mysterious and all, don't you know it.  

Actually, we need all the specialized help we can get ....

=============

Jafrum was good info, Yoda gave good value for what he took from me.  I also began to see some method to the two $20 bills for the budget -- I thought he was joking because saddle bags cost close to $100 on sale normally.  $40 was a joke, until I looked at Jafrum -- they must be hurting some economically because the bags sure look good for the money they will let them go for.

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Luggage/Leather-Saddlebags

I looked, studied and measured.  I thought about groceries and rainstorms and water puddles.  I considered the look of the bike (XV 535) and what would look appropriate on it.  Milk is heavy, so I gave some preference for reinforced construction and durability.  I got feedback on Jafram bags and found that they were "adequate but thinner than Harley signature bags".  

Yeah, but they cost a sixth as much, so what do you expect, an egg in your beer?

Finally I picked.      $34.95     15.5Wx12.5Hx7D inches

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Luggage/Leather-Saddlebags/SD4011;jsessionid...

« Last Edit: 10/07/09 at 04:10:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/25/09 at 23:18:58

Ok, the bags came Federal Express in two days -- all for the standard $5.41 Jafrum freight charge.  (I hope Master Yoda doesn't plan to keep track of the shipping charges and taxes in his challenge amount -- shipping is beginning to really suck as energy costs keep going up and he never counts on sales tax as his swamp doesn't charge him any)

The bags look good, they have a plastic hoop sewn into the curved form to help them stay looking like bags for a long time and the strapping and such looks up to holding up some weight.

How the heck am I gonna put milk in these things and keep them out of the spokes?  Master Yoda has done given me a whammy challenge  -- bags sag with weight and he won't let me have a bag support frame.

I've got $5.05 left in the budget (yeah, technically I blew it in shipping & taxes but what Master Yoda doesn't know won't hurt him) and a set of good looking new bags that won't stay out of the spokes.

I'm screwed, I just know it.   Oh well .... if it was easy anybody could do it.

=============

Time to go to Lowes and get in line with the flow of the Force ....  

You just go into the Jedi meditative state while walking around looking.

====   (special Jedi  instructions)   ====

You have to walk around and look at stuff.  

You have to remember the parameters of the test, you have to hold them in your mind.

You can't show anything.  "Hidden and mysterious are the ways of the Force ..."

The bag can't sag or move into the spokes.

Part of the bag will rest on the shocks (about a quarter of it)

The leather will twist and move into the spokes

Air flow will make the bag move back and push inwards.

The old style metal supports went to the bottom of the bag and held it out.

The bags still drooped with age and got all soft and "baggy"....

Milk jugs, bouncing shock absorbers ....

How do those good lookin' girls do it when they are dancing?

.... if they aren't allowed an underwire bra that is?

Aha!  How do they do it with NO bra -- a nakid set of tits when pole dancing?

Internal support !!

Eureka !!

(see, we just go with the flow of the force while walking around the place where all the stuff is while looking at the stuff and thinking about nekkid tits)

============

The rest is elimination of various ways to do internal support.  The bags have internal plastic hoop stuff to keep the rounded form -- you just have to make the back of the bag rigid enough to support the sag load of a gallon of milk, bridging the load between the milk jug and the shock absorber.  

Girls figured this stuff out ages ago, after all.

And here is my $5.05 solution, a piece of thin very stiff luan plywood for $2.88 and a tube of Liquid Nails for $1.74 (total with tax is $4.99)

You make the cardboard form by tracing the back of the bag, sizing it in by the overlap seam amount, cutting the cardboard template and checking and adjusting it so the cut piece of stiff luan plywood is a snug "trapped fit" to the back crease seam of the bag pocket.

You use "more than enough" liquid nails to make the back of the bag and the wooden support piece become one, then you clamp it with the weight of all the canned goods in your wife's pantry for 48 hours until the liquid nails has totally set.

You added a bit over 1/8" (say 3/16") to the inside back of the bag.  But now the back is flat and inflexible and is mated to the plastic support hoop structure, so the whole bag is relatively rigid now.

Cost    (gee... I hope Master Yoda forgets about them $5.41 in shipping charges as it doesn't show on the Jafrum receipt)

$34.95  Jafrum saddle bags
    4.99  Lowes for glue and luan plywood

Anyhow, the glue is setting up and I've got me two days to move my turn signals to the back of the fender and get me that reflector thingie moved out of the way so I can get the new bags mounted all proper like.

=============

=============

Aw crap, I stressed one of my turn signal's rubber mounts taking it off and the crack that has been growing for the last 2 years finally let go in my hand.  

I resisted the Darkside and did NOT throw the 17mm wrench up against the wall.  I did quote Master Yoda's favorite phrase that he uses when his cane slips in the swamp mud and dumps him on his butt in the green stinking slime.

Of course this is a Yamaha and Yammie does NOT support parts for a bike past 10 years as a company policy -- there is no turn signal parts even listed on Bike Bandit and Ron Ayers doesn't even have a listing for a Yammie bike that is over 10 years old, period.  

I merge with the Force and consider what is a "turn signal rubber mount isolator".   They are flexible.  They are insulators.  They are semi-rigid and can deflect to some degree.  And this one is in two pieces.
"Wounded, it is." would be what Master Yoda would say about it.

Hey, how about my Jedi first aid training -- could that help?

==============

First, set the bone back into position.   (I mixed a tiny bit of epoxy to spot it back together)

Next, prepare the "piece cut off an old torn up pair of polyester pants" bandage to wrap around it to make the walking cast.  You do this by soaking it in quick setting epoxy.

I used polyester because it is a VERY flexible fabric and that shape is a shallow cone and the top is a lot smaller than the bottom -- the fabric must be able to give a lot to make it wrap correctly.

Lastly, you gotta hold everything nice and straight while the epoxy finishes hardening and then you gotta spin it while you trim off the ugly.

=============

This wounded solder is suitable to pick up his light saber and go back into battle, Sir!

(effective cost is $0.00 as all materials were at hand already)

« Last Edit: 10/07/09 at 04:12:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/25/09 at 23:53:11

Ok, time to see if Master Yoda is up on his game or not.  

Sometimes he can be godawful sharp, but sometimes he's just real old and forgetful ....

===============

I ride up to the swamp with the bags mounted on the Yammie XV535 and Master Yoda comes hobbling out of his rickety old mud shack.

"Master, I have failed the test."

"Hmmm .... how so?"

"I failed to plan for shipping charges and NC taxes -- Jafram didn't show them on their receipt but they are there."

"So receipt totals of $39.94 inaccurate are?"

"Yes Master, I actually overspent by nearly six dollars"

"Out of your pocket, it is"

"Yes Master."

He turns and begins to go back inside.

"Master, I brought you some milk."

"Eh, good -- give it to me"

I open the bags and hand Master Yoda the four (4) gallons of milk that had been sitting seamlessly and saglessly in the pretty new saddlebags -- the milk filling the bags up & providing internal support for the sagging sacks along with the stiff backing board providing rigidity and carrying the weight up through the cross strap.  

Pregnant women carry a large offset load the same way during that last trimester, so I just copied their methods.

Master Yoda sits there, shocked -- a gallon in each hand and a gallon at each foot.  He's short you know, so he is literally buried in milk.

He finally speaks ....

"Overshot by $6.00 due to unreported shipping charges and unexpected local taxes?"

"Yes Master".

"Go inside and get your lightsaber.  You may have the black box sitting behind it also as you did not fail as badly as you may have thought"

"Thank you Master.  Can I help carry in your milk?"

"Yes, -- too much it is -- take two of them back with you"

"Thank you Master."

I carry in the milk, quickly grabbed my light saber and the small black cardboard box and got the heck out of Dodge before the old coot could change his mind and hit me up for something else .....

===========

===========

Hey, lookie !!!

There was something good in the little black box !!!

Ain't it purty?

Hey, that's the best 6 bucks in "overage" shipping charges I ever spent ---  

????????????????

Hey, that old coot had that fancy cam just sitting there already, waiting for me .....   I wonder what it fits?

Huh

Sometimes I wonder what the real test is, the test he says it is going in, or the test it winds up being.  

Sometimes I wonder if Yoda even knows ahead of time.

It's hard sometimes, being a Jedi ....  so much is uncertain.

« Last Edit: 09/28/09 at 06:23:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/05/09 at 22:49:00

"Uncertain, is .... success or failure.  Time moves, reality changes around you ... changes one into the other.  New bags, which is?"

"Master, my new bags failed the test for total cost because of tax and shipping but they carried the milk as required without showing any method of support".

"Ah, test ...  weeks past is test.   Reality is now and is moving around you."  

I guess this translates to 'What does today's reality tell you about new bags?'  Sometimes Yoda is hard to understand, he's got this dyslexic speech impediment thing, you know.

"They suck Master.  They ride too low, they are down in the exhaust flow from side pipes and the turn signals look all squinty sticking out from the rear brake light assembly."

"Has reality changed after riding for two weeks?"

"Reality really didn't change, Master.  Reality was the same before and after the two weeks".

"What changed?"

"Before was the test, now is the daily use."

"No different, test and use -- failure lies there.  Too fast you were in answering the test.  Premature and incomplete your answer was.  Nonstandard, is your purple girly bike, nonstandard must your answer be."

=======================

The little light goes on in my head, the test is ongoing and the bags are just like everything else a Jedi does, an ongoing relationship with the Force.  I need me a old Jedi quote, quick !!

=======================

"A journey that may last a lifetime begins with a single step"  I quoted from memory.

"Good, you begin to understand.  Complete the test, but spend no more money in doing so."

"What resources may I command in accomplishing this task?"

TWHACK!

(ouch, that cane smarts!)

Master pauses and sweeps his cane around us in a wide arc.  This encompasses the swamp, his shack and the junkyard behind his shack he calls his shop.

"What are resources?  Things are ...  the Force is  ... connected all things are ... with the Force flowing between them."

===============

So, we are scrounging again ... I get it.   Fix it by begging, borrowing or stealing whatever it takes.

I bow and leave, walking out back behind the shack to see what the Force leads me to notice.

.... all I can see is a 1" wide, 1/8" thick 5 foot long piece of stiff flat stock in Master's scrap corner, so I make like it is connected to the Force and I am connected to the Force and we leave together.

What this is is going to do to make things work out, I haven't a clue.

"Inscrutable are the ways of the Force".

« Last Edit: 10/08/09 at 07:10:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/05/09 at 23:44:35

Yoda sucks, you know.  

Him, he can take his pieces of mangy junk stuff, look at it funny and squint his piggy little eyes and raise his crippled old hand and make some funny grippy motions and it will bend and reform itself into a perfectly fitted part, with any excess material falling off and all the holes appearing exactly where needed.

To him, all this mod stuff is easy and the Force does connect all things for him.  All his Force-built stuff fits like it was factory designed and they all work flawlessly and they always look good too because he can just spray paint some paint off into the air and it will flock to the part evenly covering it like a little swarm of bees.

Me, I got to use pliers and a hacksaw ....  my stuff looks crude and handmade.  My paint always makes runs and drips too.  I am a long long way from being a Jedi Master like Yoda.

But I did catch the clue he threw out "Nonstandard is your purple girly bike, nonstandard must your answer be."

And the XV535 sure is nonstandard, with them upswept side pipes pointing the exhaust right at where standard bags would ride.  Heck, standard bag position would lay right over the pipes (smell the burning leather can't you?).

So, up is the theme and nonstandard is the method.  Normal bag supports need not apply, the bags aren't going down that far but instead are going way up in the air, up over the side pipes ....  and back, way way back away from side pipes.   All the way back if possible.

We are talking a mounting bracket now instead of a bag support.

Aha! In the "spirit" of the original test we are now talking about a "license plate mounted turn signal bracket" .... (that just happens to control the bags too).  

So, let's start with the holes the turn signals used to be in, and the holes that mount the license plate and see what the Force will give us

.... with the aid of my trusty hack saw and pliers that is.

Start at the left old hole, go past the license plate and wind up at the right old hole (staying one shock absorber away from the center at all times).  Sounds easy, just figure it out one bend at a time ... nice and easy.

Something like .... this !!

« Last Edit: 10/07/09 at 14:22:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/06/09 at 13:52:58

And the saddest thing about what Yoda has done to me is even while I am bolting it all up, I am already thinking about improvements to be done on the next iteration.  I can take these big bags and using the same tricks I can put them on the Savage.  Then I can get some REALLY big bags to put on the XV535

(really big slanted bags, that is).

Anyway, it turned out OK and the bags aren't getting blasted by the exhaust pipe any more, so that was the main thing.

This shows the wiring for the turn signals running down the bracket.

This shows the exit path for the upswept pipes cleanly missing the bags.  The shock showed no soot where the bag is now, so I think I won't have overheating issues with the bags (hope not, anyway).

Another shot of the pipe side.

And the left side of the bike.

=============

Like I said, it is easier to fit large slant bags than square bags.  A slant big enough for a single gallon of milk could have gone in behind the shock and not required the extra 3 inches of offset.

These bags are plenty big enough for what I need to carry, so I am good to run this rig around a bit to see how it works out.

Yoda didn't say too much when he saw the bike.  He wanted to know what I called the bracket thingie, and I told him it was a multi-tasking turn signal mount slash license plate holder.  He snorted at  that one and swung at me with his walking stick, but I jumped back out of the way before he could smack me.

He asked me if I was done and I told him that that would be premature, the test really wasn't over yet as improvements were possible.  

He agreed with that part anyway.

"Ready are you for cam now?"  sez he.

"Cam, what cam Master?" sez I, all innocent like.

THWACK!!  goes his knarly old stick on my sore aching head bone ....

"Oh, that cam ....  I still haven't figured out what it fits, Master"

"Measure it" sez he --

"Clues to its proper use you may find."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/07/09 at 21:40:26

Written report to Master Yoda, 10/7/09

Master Yoda, I have investigated the cam you told me to take and it appears to be a slightly undersized version of a Lancer Stage 2 fire breathing radical performance cam for a LS650/S40 motorcycle engine.  If this is indeed the case then the product description from Lancer is as follows:

*** If you are building a modified engine with a larger bore, higher compression or ported head, there is an option to have a more radical cam profile  .... info on this profile is:

More Radical Profile...

Lift:  0.275" In. & Ex.

Duration:  245 deg @ 0.050" lift

This cam is intended for HEAVILY MODIFIED engines, going "rat to the max" on the cam profile and duration.   It cannot show its full effect unless breathing is opened up, exhaust is opened up, head is ported, bore is increased or other extremely extensive and expensive modifications are done.

You requested measurement of this item as part of my learning - this particular cam is slightly under factory specs on the bearing journals, likely due to having to dress off the overspray from the plasma deposition process of the additional very hard material that was added then ground to make the new profile.  This undersize is on the order of .0005" below Suzuki/Clymer book specs and is of no practical significance considering common wear to the aluminum journals far outweighs this number.

The new lobe profile is slightly (.004") under the factory nominal claimed .275" lobe height number, but since the manufacturing tolerance for this process is not known I cannot say the profile is abnormal or just to the low side of some unknown production tolerance.  

Or it may be built to your Yoda specific lobe height specification of .271" .... much is unsure about this cam and what final use you have intended for it.  I have no means of measuring the duration of the lobes, but the duration seems considerable compared to a standard cam.

One thing is clear, I will not be doing anything until I receive instructions from you as utilizing this cam will require a motor suitable for this application.  Much work and much expense would be required to do a full implementation of this cam.  A partial implementation would only show partial results and is is unclear what your desires are concerning this particular assignment, beyond investigating and measuring.

Your faithful Paduwan,

Me

« Last Edit: 10/08/09 at 06:52:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/07/09 at 21:49:46

Mudslug, cam into engine put.  Challenge are you avoiding.  Flow with the Force, not push foul wind from fingers.

Yoda

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #9 - 10/08/09 at 07:32:31

I love your posts

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/09/09 at 10:28:21

I'm glad you love these little situations I get put into -- you jest let that squinty eyed old coot whack you in the head a time or two and see how you like it.

Ok Sakara, this time you put your headbone on the line with the hard whapping knarly walking stick -- Yoda said "cam into engine put" --

Which engine?

The one in my bike, or the one on my desk?

The one on my desk requires some work, but as that work progressed I could meet all of Lancer's hop-up requirements.

The one in my bike would require downtime, out of service time and it would be a partial hop up and not likely to yield the cam's potential as it is a mostly stock engine.

Well, what do you say, oh paduwan?

Which way does the Force flow on this little quandry?

(and which way does the nasty little whappy stick swing?)

========
========
========

I see Sakara has better sense than to go get himself whacked in the head answering questions like that.

I told Master Yoda I was waiting on some answers from the list experts as to the best path to take .... he wasn't happy with the delay.

"Installed Stage 2 -- who?  Ride report was?"

I didn't remember any installations or ride reports, so I shrugged my shoulders and held my hands palm up in the old Jedi sign for "WTF, I dunno?"

He hit my palms with his stick and turned and went back into his shack.

=============

You notice he won't put it in his own Savage's engine -- right?

Mine is running good right now and it isn't cold enough to take it down for the winter.

« Last Edit: 10/13/09 at 20:12:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 10/15/09 at 13:10:32

Oldfeller,

For some reason, this just occurred to me ( I guess it's because I'm supposed to be working) !

Shouldn't your master be Darth Sidious instead of Yoda???  

I mean - looking at that rear tire - you've clearly been seduced by the dark side!  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #12 - 10/15/09 at 19:55:53

runwyrlph wrote on 10/15/09 at 13:10:32:
Oldfeller,

For some reason, this just occurred to me ( I guess it's because I'm supposed to be working) !

Shouldn't your master be Darth Sidious instead of Yoda???  
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:ke9x4GtzXAjWdM::www.starwarsdailyupdate.co...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/Oldfeller/DSCF0030.jpg

I mean - looking at that rear tire - you've clearly been seduced by the dark side!  

Zomg...busted?  

/swings light saber back and forth
master?

tehee that was fun  Cheesy

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/15/09 at 20:58:01

No, that is MMRanch's darksider tire.  Mine is a Yoda approved "goodsider" tire that looks like this:

Clearly you can see the complete orientation difference in the Force, can you not?  See the glow of goodness shining from the edges of the threads?  Good service it has done for many many many miles, not evil.

"Appearances, deceiving are.  Look to the heart, good does he -- or evil?  
Ask your heart, a glow of goodness has he?"

« Last Edit: 10/16/09 at 07:03:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #14 - 10/16/09 at 09:01:17

my apologies master - mistaken I was.

it's just that those car tires on bikes scare me ....

oh wait...  fear leads to anger!  .... anger leads to hate! ...  uh- oh

Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:20:20

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › How to put bags on your bike cheaply

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.