Send Topic Print
2007 sportster 883 (Read 718 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: 2007 sportster 883
Reply #15 - 09/26/09 at 14:10:14

I know people who have the Sportster and love them.

But is there any bike that everyone thinks is the perfect bike?

Unless the Savage comes close Wink

Seems there's advantages and disadvantages with all of them. Undecided
If there is a perfect one though,I'd love to know which one it is Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #16 - 09/26/09 at 15:00:53

bill67 wrote on 09/26/09 at 13:18:17:
  I've always been a Suzuki guy,  but never likes the looks of the S83 or S50,Something just don't look right to me. They have more of a toy look than motorcycle.

I kind of agree with regard to all of that molding, not the best looking bikes in the world. But bit of creativity, one can get a personal look for themselves. It's the power that attracts me most to the 1400. I like the 1500 LC also.  Seems that it would make a fine bike for longer rides. I'm not too picky.

FSO
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 09/26/09 at 15:48:27

I have a 1998 1500 LC it is a good bike, good seat,suspension,2500 rpm at 60 mph,Only trouble its really heavy for a little 70 year old man.Its got everything on it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #18 - 09/27/09 at 07:10:52

Bill did you get it. I'm thinking seriously about buying my wife an 883. She has always wanted a Harley and she has been good to me. She gave me a $5000 guitar for Christmas on a Deputy's salary. The other day she gave me a $600 grill for my birthday. She has been great and supportive since I came down with Lupus. There's several 09's at the local Harley dealership. Tomorrow I might just go and pick her out one. She deserves it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 09/27/09 at 07:51:36

Hee hee,...I'm trying to imagine liking my wife, and buying her a heavy Harley.  If I bought her a heavy Harley, she'd know for sure I was trying to kill her ! Grin

Sorry,......no disrespect,......but the thought just seemed funny for me.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 09/27/09 at 08:02:27

Really, I can't believe it,....this town is full of Harleys, mostly Sportys. They look so much like these Suzies, I always look at the engine to tell the difference from a distance. But I bet at least 90% are Harleys in this town.
Actually, I have not seen another s-40 on the road since I bought this in July. But the Harley riders are all friendly, sometimes  even turning their head to take a 2nd look.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #21 - 09/27/09 at 08:32:40

Routy wrote on 09/27/09 at 07:51:36:
Hee hee,...I'm trying to imagine liking my wife, and buying her a heavy Harley.  If I bought her a heavy Harley, she'd know for sure I was trying to kill her ! Grin

Sorry,......no disrespect,......but the thought just seemed funny for me.
No offense taken. My wife is different in a good way. If I go hunting or fishing she goes hunting or fishing. If I ride a motorcycle she rides a motorcycle. We met on a motorcycle forum kind of like this one. She's a deputy sheriff and carries a gun for a living. She wears a sniper pin on her uniform. You dont want her shooting at you. She was a commercial pilot for Fuji for several years and flew film all over the US. She was an in flight paramedic on an air care helicopter for several years. Her acomplishments go on and on. One remarkable lady. She's always wanted a Harley (I never have) but maybe its time to get her one. Now they are better motorcycles than they use to be.

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #22 - 09/27/09 at 16:29:59

I have a 2006 XL883.I work at an HD/Buell dealer, or, I used to.Just got notified that I'm being temperarily laid off for six weeks. My '06 that I bought last December from my work place had 3062 miles on it. I got a good deal with my employee discount. I didn't want a fuel injected model. Most people prefer the fuel injection. I don't like the added complexity and all the crap they stuff up inside the gas tank. My 2006 XL883 gets,from a low of about 43 mpg doing a short commute in the dead of winter when the bike doesn't even get fully warmed up, to a high of 59.5 when on the open road at 50-55 mph. The Custom model has the bigger tank, which is nice.It also comes with forward controls, which I don't care for. I test rode an XL883Custom that the previous owner had replaced the forward controls, with mids, and it felt great to me. I would not get a lowered model (XL883L,XL1200L, Nightster and 883 Iron) because you loose cornering clearance. I haven't scraped my XL883 (standard) in the corners yet.

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
tonefight
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Central, Pa
Reply #23 - 09/27/09 at 16:48:42

Should be a good bike and not a bad deal, the market is actually flooded with sportsters right now and it is a good time to buy one. I have a 05 and my wife has a 06. They went to fuel injection in 07 wich is nice but I prefer the ole carb. Good luck.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #24 - 09/27/09 at 16:50:24

jjn Sorry about you losing your job. I hope you find employment real soon. I read somewhere new motorcycle sales were down 50%.

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #25 - 09/28/09 at 07:16:32

With all of my riding experience (this summer) I have so much advice to add.  Well, ok, not really.  But I have ridden both a Sportster 1200 and of course my Suzie Q.  (Savage if you're with me)  The Sportster is a fun bike, and when you drop her into gear she's ready to fly!  If, however, you're not comfortable with the weight (my main problem) then you'll have problems.  I didnt have any trouble on the highway, though I admit I didnt take curves very fast, but its the low speed/parking lot stuff that made me nervous.  I know, for a fact, that if I kill it (and I killed that poor Harley about 10 times everytime I rode it) in a bad place and it started to tip - there was nothing I could do to stop it.  And unless you can do all the work yourself, anything Harley is expensive to fix.  

So, are Sportster fun? oh yeah, its a thrill to feel that power when you get er out on the open road.  For me, it's just too big and too heavy for me to feel comfortable on it.  Seat height wasnt a problem, it was just too heavy.  When I've got my Savage parked next to the Harley, they look so cute together.  LOL  I just enjoy the ride alot more on my bike, cause Im not having heart attacks because I almost put it in the ditch.  (another reason I quit riding the Harley).  Ride what you like, like what you ride.  If you can, try renting a Sporster for a few days.  It will give you alot better feel for how it handles than a 15 min test ride.

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #26 - 09/28/09 at 08:56:37

OK, lets see if this works.  Im going to try and post a pic of the Sportster and Savage side by side.  

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 09/28/09 at 09:43:08

I think the sportster would be heavy for me at 5'6" 155 and 70 years old. My 1500LC is a couple hundreds pounds heavier than the sportster but its not top heavy.But really hard to push around.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #28 - 09/28/09 at 10:07:29

One thing about the Sportsters to think about. The 2003 and older models were much lighter in weight. They had "solid" engine mounts. The 2004 and later have "rubber mounts". When the redesigned the frame etc for the newer rubber mounted engines, the Sportsters gained like 70-75 pounds. Also the 2003 and older models had a "trap door transmission". Meaning you don't have to split the engine cases to remove the gear clusters. You just remove an engine cover and the gear clusters come out. Probably not a big issue because the Sportster trans are not known to be a weak link. Some folks that make cafe' bikes out of their Sportsters go for the lighter earlier models. Since basically less weight  is as good as more horsepower that makes sense. The rigid mount models do have more vibration though. The ones I've ridden were not that bad, but some folks vastly prefer the newer rubber mounts. Test rides of both are in order.

jjn

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #29 - 09/30/09 at 20:02:07

The '86 1100 EVO Sportster I got in July weights 455 lbs.  Gets 45 mpg city and 55 highway.  And power.......  Shocked

But.....  it's not the low rider/hugger model so it's tall. 30" at the seat. And yes, more top heavy than the Savage was.  

The Sportster will give you more leg room.  More top speed.  More aftermarket parts.  The Spark plugs are Sooooooo easy to check.  I like the speedo on the handle bars.  Seat is nicer than the S40/LS650's.

But,  the 883 off the line is not much more powerful than the LS650.    At stop lights, feet on the ground, my leg touches the oil tank which is hot.   My 1100 came with mid-controls that hit my shins at lights (converted to forwards  already).  Parts fitment year-to-year seems to run in groups of about 4-5 years, not 23 like the Savage.  

Handling, Savage wins......  lighter with a lower center of gravity.  I guess for comparison,  you could say that you can dance with both bikes.  The Savage would be the gitter bug or Tango, the Sportster would be a waltz.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:23:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 sportster 883

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.